Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-03-2014, 11:58   #1

My Latest Boat

Hello CruisersForum, my name is Robert644 and I want to entertain you with my story about my latest boat. I have lived on boats for 25 years now, of all sorts and this is my latest project.

I left the army in 09 with the intention of buying a boat to live on here in the pacific northwest, however I found a different living situation in a small boat which I kept on land. I was planning to move the small boat into the water, saving up for a couple years and buying a sailboat in 15-25k range. However an opportunity came along.

A boat in a nearby harbor sank over the winter and was placed on land, decision pending for its disposal. Nice looking boat, but who wants a sinker, especially if it was just pumped out and then left as is. At the time I was eyeing another boat that had sunk, but the mechanic had gotten the engines and genset going immediately after. Good price, a little over 5k, but for a 38' boat that is a deal. I still wanted a sailboat though.

One day, while bored I went over to check out the inside of this sinker. I was immediately struck by the open layout of this boat, a 36' Uniflite sedan. I spoke with the owner, handed him a dollar, and now it's mine. Just what I needed.

So as a liveaboard I have to meet the harbor's 'strict' rules regarding boats. The boat has to be a runner, unlike 95% of the liveaboard population. Special rules just for me I guess. But that's fine. I am in a situation where if need be I can pull both engines and get them apart. I don't have to run 3800rpms. I just got to go 3kts and park the thing in it's stall.

So here are my plans so far. Currently the boat is half full of oily frozen water. If you can picture one of those wooly mammoths frozen in a glacier, well that is what the engines look like. Okay, the ice is only to the oil pan, but still. Fortunately the engines were drained after it was brought up. Supposedly. First step is getting the kerosene blast heater out and I'm going blast those engines and melt all that ice. Hopefully in the process, the expanding engine blocks will break free of any corrosion in the cylinders.

Of course there is the fear that alot can be wrong with the motor, such as ice in the cylinder chamber breaking a piston, but that's the plan so far. Worst case senario I have to put 2 4cyl gas engines in there. But I haven't gotten that far yet ! While I am doing all this heating of the boat I have to be careful and make sure the poop tank isn't frozen and ruptured. All that can come out frozen for less mess.

Once I figure out what direction I am going with the engines it's time to start cleaning. I'm going to drag the hose right in there and wash the heck out of the boat. I don't want to smell low time on a sunny day inside my boat. I read somewhere about tea tree, clove, eucalyptus oil being good at killing mold. So I got some tea tree oil off ebay and after washing everything I am going to wipe all surfaces down with this oil. I got 8oz of the stuff, so I hope that's enough.

It's going to be a bit before I move onto the boat, but when I do I'll set up a cot in the salon while I'm trying to get the rest of the boat in order. A propane 2 burner camp stove to take the place of the electric stove. I'm guessing I can get the Norcold working, but if not a c-note at Walmart will get me one. Long term I intend to replace the Norcold with a full size household model. I can get a small 8 cu foot model in there.

However today I am making my first 'big' purchase for the boat. I am buying a portable heat-pump A/C. Now I first thought I was crazy for wanting to buy this. Not only what do I need an A/C for in the PNW, but why spend $500 on something I can get for about $100 for a wall mount unit. I read about people putting these things in the forward hatch and using them. Not a good idea for me though. My forward area is recessed down and would likely become a death pit of frozen air in order to maintain a decent temp in the salon. Adding another fan is just too much cords and junk. So the portable unit can go in the salon directly.

What made me want this thing though is that it can put out 14,000 BTUs in heat while drawing only 10 amps. So 1500 watts, a standard space heater, puts out 5000 BTUs or about. The electrical savings sound just so nice. Now the thing is only good to about 35f or so, however that's when it's time to buy a new Espar heater and get that system going. A while off yet.

Anyways, that's my story so far.
robert644 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2014, 15:24   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya
Re: My Latest Boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert644 View Post
................. So as a liveaboard I have to meet the harbor's 'strict' rules regarding boats. The boat has to be a runner, unlike 95% of the liveaboard population. ...............
'good to here of your aquisition and we wish you all the success. I'm always interested in hearing of the posts that attribute a jurisdiction of the "harbor" and "harbor" regulations of the pacific coast. Florida is often mentioned as having potential restrictions for liveaboards, but there seems to be more restrictions on the west coast. I also hear references to the
"Harbormasters" in New England, but this position is unheard of in the southeast US. Who has this authority? Are they the marina managers, city or county officials?

Thanks for sharing. Keep us posted of your adventures!
Old 20-03-2014, 13:52   #3

Pictures?
Goingbuddha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2014, 14:04   #4

Hot off the press.

http://i.imgur.com/TMtgJqX.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/XZSnK08.jpg

Turbocharger and intercooler. Hopefully going back on the engine today, and the fact I am typing this tells you how realistic that is.
Old 20-03-2014, 20:28   #5

CaptForce, 'Harbormaster' is simply a title for the harbor manager. It's a city position here, hired not elected or otherwise. The harbormaster is in charge of the physicality of the docks, not the financing or development of them.

Regulations are probably similar to anywhere else. Here is a fun read about living aboard in Washington state.

Magic Harbor

My acquisition is quite the money magnet. Today I bought #300 worth of batteries for the two engines. An 8D for each one. I'll save a little on the alternators though by using the batteries for each engine only. The only current draw on them will be start and fuel solenoid hold open. They'll run for days and multiple starts. Like running a Mercury with a burnt out stator and a distrubitor. I've a gel 4D and a Honda for house power. I guess at 40 this seems the most reasonable solution, as opposed to sharing a battery and things getting crazy.
Old 23-03-2014, 12:16   #6

Thawing out the Swedish twins.

http://i.imgur.com/3081lBg.jpg

Wrenching parts apart.

http://i.imgur.com/dZUCXCE.jpg

A crusty turbo.

http://i.imgur.com/X63LMUM.jpg
Old 23-03-2014, 19:38   #7
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

TAMD60 or 61 engines. ?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 24-03-2014, 11:59   #8

41's. Also a Northern Lights of indeterminate block manufacture in there as well. I also pulled an Espar D5 out of there. I suspect the only thing salvageable about that will be the housing.