Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 22-11-2012, 15:18   #1

My first liveaboard

I am planning to buy a beneteau sense 43 sailboat to live aboard and i wondered wether it would be a good choice?

Old 22-11-2012, 15:32   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: VandeStadt IOR 40' - Insatiable
Re: My first liveaboard

Kinda hard to say. Beneteaus can make a good liveaboard, but 43 foot is a lot of boat to sail if you are single-handing. If you plan on mostly just hanging in a marina or on a mooring, I'm sure it would be fine.

Old 23-11-2012, 08:06   #3

Boat: 1982 S2 8.0b 26'

Seems like most people tend to go too big when they get a boat. Just remember that 43 feet is a lot of expense. My little 26 footer is big enough for me to live in comfortably by myself, although I'm more used to cramped quarters than most.
Old 23-11-2012, 08:21   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore" Ben393 "Breathless"

Beautiful boat. Good size. My main worry would be the saildrive. Would much prefer traditional shaft drive. Also the galley lay-out along the port side is not conducive to meal prep at sea.
Vasco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2012, 09:02   #5

Boat: 40' Silverton Aftcabin with twin Crusaders

I noticed this is your first post here in the forum. Do you have any experience with boats at all? There is support for “boat is too big, boat is too small” arguments wherever one discusses boat sizes. Yes, larger boats have higher yearly costs than smaller boats even if both are either just docked or for that matter stored on the hard.

Back to you question, other than asking if a particular boat in a particular size is fine for living onboard. So many folks look at shinny boats pictures shown in the numerous boating/sailing magazines and relish the thought of living on one. Then there is the real life factor.

Living on a boat requires a special temperament, similar to trying to live, that includes storing all your belongings in a room about the size of a bathroom with limited accommodations such as running water, washer/dryer, heat, electricity unless you’re tied to dock. But then your costs soar.

Now getting back to boat sizes, at one time boat lengths were measured from the bow to the stern. Today most boats are measured from the bow pulpit to the swim platform which in some cases can effectively remove upwards to 4 feet of the advertised length so I really don't know the real length of the boat in reference. If you carefully analyze the actual living space, you will see that even a 39 foot boat provides far less living space than a very small apartment.

I would never ever think of full time living on my boat even though it has great accommodations.
Old 23-11-2012, 09:46   #6

Thanks very much for all your replys I was planning on sailing it with my best friend
Old 23-11-2012, 09:53   #7

I don't have years of experience but I can handle trailer sailers well
Old 23-11-2012, 10:15   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I see nothing wrong, it's a lighter cheaper boat than most offshore cruising boats, but if you are not planning on sailing around the world in one , (not saying you couldnt ) probably a great live aboard. You get a lot of space and nice living accomodations. I dislike saildrives too. There is only one way to really learn how to control a big boat, and that is to have one. Once you get above the size you can fend off a dock by hand..you just need to learn your boat. I agree you could be very comfortable in a 35 footer though with less expense.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2012, 10:17   #9

Location: Branched Oak Yacht Club, Wife is an Admiral in the Nebraska Navy
Boat: Clipper Marine 32 CC Aft Cabin Ketch
Quote:
Originally Posted by foggysail

boat sizes, at one time boat lengths were measured from the bow to the stern. Today most boats are measured from the bow pulpit to the swim platform which in some cases can effectively remove upwards to 4 feet of the advertised lengt

If I may borrow the thread a moment, A Hunter 33, around a 99 model, would that be measured from bow pulpit to swim platform?

Back on topic, I studied a couple of sail drives, as I was looking to get a larger sailboat, and one thing they do well, is give very good use of space because the unit is vertical. Takes up about a fourth the space, maybe less. In my sailboat, the engine room is under the cockpit, and uses all that space. On a simular model, same manufacturer, with a sail drive, the whole engine room footprint was about 2 foot square.
Old 23-11-2012, 10:30   #10
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

If I may borrow the thread a moment, A Hunter 33, around a 99 model, would that be measured from bow pulpit to swim platform?
Not sure, some manufacturers name the boat with overall length, others are more honest with on deck length, I think some have used the LWL too. They can call it what they want.
There were a few 33's.....A good source of info is here: http://sailboatdata.com/viewrecord.asp?class_id=7231

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2012, 10:37   #11

Boat: Catalina 42

If you are in the USA I think a Catalina 36 with L shape saloon would be worth consideration, or go bigger....Catalina 42.
I like the their "production boat" value for money and the fact they have a lead keel and sail very well, beneteau go for steel keels..yuk!"

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: