Join CruisersForum Today

Old 20-11-2015, 11:40   #46
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: SS Crocker design #131
Re: Must have tools/supplies

Quote:
Originally Posted by exMaggieDrum View Post

Slip jaw pliers have been mentioned but sometimes you want to undo or tighten a hex or square tubing connector or thru-hull fitting or whatever and jagged tooth slip pliers will work but bugger up the nut if they work at all. So I have a new favorite tool I found:
Knipex 8603250 10-Inch Pliers Wrench - Parallel Jaw Adjustable Wrench - Amazon.com

They slip but lock in to a size and have jaws on either side that are square. Great tool.

I am also a tool nut so take it with a grain
stubby's yes. Forgot about those.

The other thing--we've got 2 Ford wrenches like these and they're great for things like the packing nut or other things, yes, that you don't want to buggar up. They have short handles compared to the size the jaws will open up to, that is their benefit.

Then, don't forget your come-along. Ours is a cheapy from Harbor Frieght but yet it's done duty several times. In this blog post there's a pic of raising the front of the engine using it so we could put in more shims under the run-out engine mounts. And we used it several times in the boatyard--from hauling/holding the countertimber in place to pre-stretching rigging. Useful thing.

Schooner Chandlery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2015, 12:45   #47
One of Those

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Catalac 12M

Offset screwdrivers.

Wood chisel set, and a sharpening stone. Keep them oiled and sealed up in a plastic box.

small, powerful wet/dry shop vac. Mine is AC powered. I don't think any of the battery powered ones would be strong enough.

I use small japanese style hand saws. Thin kerf, lotsa teeth, flexible and they cut on the pull stroke. I love those saws.

Re; the shop full of tools, I just sold loads of tools from my home shop when we moved on board. Sold big Ingersol compressor, at least a dozen various pneumatic tools, but I never did find an air driven circular saw to buy.
Sold chop saw, two circular saws, 10" table saw, drill press, and a long list of other stuff. I'm now trying to figure out what I need on the boat, all that shop stuff was too big.

I'm about to junk DeWalt 18 volt cordless tools, and I'm looking hard at my collection of three Dremels....two batt and one ac....and keeping the
Roto-Zip. Which is basically a Dremel on steroids, but I have the plunge router, circle cutting rig, and other stuff for it. I think it'll do just about anything a Dremel will except it won't fit into tight spots.

Old 20-11-2015, 12:49   #48

I have noticed alot of people mention corrosion prevention and rusting of bolts etc. There is a compound called "Mastinox" it's yellow and comes in a tube similar to a caulking tube but the tip is large enough to place your thumb in, at any rate it's used on aircraft for large and small bolts on critical places like ailerons and stuff while it's not cheap it does not allow rust or water on any surface and stops bolts from freezing up or force you to possible have to pry or dig where it's not an option..
Old 20-11-2015, 13:33   #49
One of Those

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Catalac 12M

tef gel.
Old 20-11-2015, 13:52   #50

Boat: Nantucket Island 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by AiniA View Post
We have a set of three little pointed tools: one straight, one with a right angle bend, and one with a curved bend. Found them to be quite useful.
+1 those little pick tools have a 1001 uses. I keep one set on the boat, another at home and one in the car's toolbox. I don't think I ever do a job without using them. In fact I have three sets of them. The only issue is that sooner or later the tips break off and the sets needs to be replaced.

As for multi tools I have two cordless models. They are extremely useful for performing surgery on the boat. They cut wood and metal, scrape off gunk, cutting away old sealant and mastics and can be used for sanding and rasping. I don't find them that useful for sanding, but the rasp designed for tile glue removal is excellent for filing fibreglass and for roughing it up for glue or extra layers. There's also a very fine bladed "epoxy cutter" that makes fine cuts in fibreglass of either epoxy or polyester composite. The cordless models I have are 18 V and smaller 10.8 V. The smaller unit is the one I'd keep on the boat for maintenance work whereas the larger unit is better for refit work.

And they won't rip wood very well (but can cut surprising straight lines and clean curves), but if you go cordless, 18V circular saws are compact and will cut just about any wood or fibreglass material used on a boat.
Old 20-11-2015, 16:04   #51

Boat: Freedom 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haylands View Post
I maybe talking rubbish here as I don't yet own a boat (I'm working on it) but having built and renovated houses and cars in the past I would have thought that one of these would be a great time saver

MultiMaster - Products - FEIN Power Tools Inc.

...Or will I not need these on a boat...???
I borrowed one of these from a friend when doing word work on the boat and ripping out the countertops. If you have the room, they are wicked good -- and wicked destructive, if you're not careful!

This is on my Things to Buy for the Boat wish list: Milwaukee M12 Fuel 12-Volt Lithium-Ion Brushless 1/4 in. Hex Impact Driver (Tool-Only)-2453-20 - The Home Depot.
Old 20-11-2015, 16:17   #52

Boat: Beneteau First 42

Any tool I/We have ever needed to effect a repair on the boat we keep one (or more) of, on the boat. Especially useful have been flexible socket drives, 6", 8" and 12" long, in 1/4" and 3/8" drive size that allow one to get a socket on an inconvenient nut or bolt when one cannot use a straight drive extension with a universal joint. I have also found that sockets with Allen Wrench heads in metric and Imperial sizes come in very handy at times as does a good ball peen hammer with a shortened handle (for tight spaces).

FWIW...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 19:43   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canibul View Post
An assortment of non-Chinese Vise-Grips, the little bitty ones, a medium sized set with flat jaws ( not curved) for gripping messed up nuts. Forget the needle nosed ones.
While I believe there is still a German manufacturer (sold under a number of trade names), they are difficult to find outside of Europe. Spanish-made Grip-On are readily available in North America, and are of high quality.

BTW, I don't trust (any brand of) locking pliers to remove damaged fasteners. Knipex Cobra is a much better tool for that job, IMO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by exMaggieDrum View Post
One of the tool sets I am always needing is a set of regular and metric ignition wrenches. Some electrical panels and other equipment have small nuts that you will not find a wrench for in a "normal" set. And sometimes even a "normal" size like 1/4", the wrench is too wide to get in to a tight spotů. I grew to love my stubby wrenches too. Sometimes you can't get a socket on something and a normal size wrench is too long.
I'm not a Snap-On fan, but their Four Way Angle Head spanners are worth the high price. Unlike virtually all other makes, they use 30 and 60 degree angles rather than duplicating the 15 degree angle on your standard combination spanners: this can really help deal with bolts that are otherwise inaccessible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schooner Chandlery View Post
When you need a screwdriver, the $4 orange-handled multi-bit one at the Home Depot checkout will do just fine. We have some very high quality tools but we also get the throw-away tools when we can make do with them.
In my experience, cheap screwdrivers are a false economy: the poorly-ground tips either don't fit precisely or wear prematurely. This causes cam out/slipping and worn screw heads.

Considering how often screwdrivers are used, it pays to go with decent quality. I suggest PB Swiss for normal use, and Wera Stainless for deck fittings.
Old 07-02-2016, 06:01   #54

Boat: Irwin Series II 52' 1983

A wise man once told me " you can cuss a tool once when you buy it, or cuss it every time you use it". And sadly didn't get it right away. It costs less doesn't make it work the same.
I would add to your list a nut splitter. Took me two trips to find one after a crappy wrench rounded a nut head. 4 hrs later I understood what he was telling me. Saved $25 dollars on wrenches and one job and spend that 4 fold screwing up one project alone.

Btw. Those wrenches make great wind chimes but suck at turning bolts.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 09-02-2016, 18:53   #55

We are looking to purchase a steel hulled cruiser with enough space for my "machine shop". AC/DC mig/tig/smaw 10K diesel welder, small metal lathe, air compressor and sand blasting equipment. I have the toys, just need to find out how much of the boat I get vs how much the wife lets me have. That will determine the size of the boat we get. We are both looking to go slow, something like a 10 knot max speed with as much independence as possible.
I have seen a great deal of exceptional posts on items to have that I had not thought of and will add them to my tonnage.
Old 09-02-2016, 20:25   #56

Boat: Stevens Custom 50

We've been living aboard full-time for 15 years, in the First World and Third. We have the following 110 AC tools: Drills (straight and right-angle), Dremel, heat gun, saber saw, and soldering iron. A grinder might be a good addition to this list. The heat gun is the last addition to our kit, and we're amazed we didn't have one earlier. One key use is removing and attaching hoses.

Among non-power tools, don't forget a hacksaw with tri-metal blades -- it's amazing how often we use ours, from shortening bolts to cutting standing rigging. A small vice comes in very handy -- it doesn't have to be attached to a workbench. We disagree with others in this thread, about crimping tools -- the ratchet type crimper we own has proved unreliable, so we're back to using the flat tool we started with, years ago. Crimping tools for big lugs are too big for us to carry on board, but most battery stores all over the world have them and will crimp your lug terminals for free. In an emergency, use a small bolt and pair of grip pliers -- the bolt makes a dent in the side of the lug, thus crushing the wire.
Old 10-02-2016, 10:03   #57
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: SS Crocker design #131

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svanen View Post

In my experience, cheap screwdrivers are a false economy: the poorly-ground tips either don't fit precisely or wear prematurely. This causes cam out/slipping and worn screw heads.

Considering how often screwdrivers are used, it pays to go with decent quality. I suggest PB Swiss for normal use, and Wera Stainless for deck fittings.
With *normal* screwdrivers--one size per driver and handle--name brand reputation = quality is important. OTOH the screw bits are entirely another matter so the ones that have interchangeable bits seem to be on a more consistent level one with another. For these 4-in-1 screwdrivers that you find at the home stores, they seem to have high quality bits so they're really providing a lot of value.

Schooner Chandlery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 20:08   #58

Boat: Alberg 34

Wrenches for stuffing box on the drive ,a priority Nothing worse than waking up to splash splash splash
Old 10-02-2016, 23:53   #59

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

Obviously some of you guys have a bigger boat than I do. I carry a full assortment of screwdrivers, wrenches, pliers etc.

I have two small tools bags - one for mechanical and one for electrical - I can probably repair 90% of everything on the boat without having to dig out the bigger tool boxes.

I also carry a set of Dewalt battery powered tools, right angle grinder (also of use instead of a bolt cutter if we ever have to cut the rigging away in a storm. A right angle drill (also useful for polishing etc) a normal drill and a sabre saw.

I found a small Stanley vise a couple of years ago that can be clamped onto any board (I use a my fender board) Helps if you're running out of hands when doing a job.

I also have small, medium and large one-handed clamps to hold things down

Someone mentioned it - but a tap and die set (if you need it is a life saver - if you haven't got it - you're up the creek without a paddle)

If you have an industrial seal distributor nearby - you can buy a small set of brass "picks" that look like dental tools - very useful for getting o-rings etc out of slots without nicking the steel surface.
Old 11-02-2016, 02:55   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
Geez guys, 16 replies and no one has yet mentioned Duct tape and WD 40
Must admit - and I say this as a fan of WD40 - I never found WD40 to be any good in a marine environment.

The one I used instead, blew WD40's socks off. It's called Keen's Aquanol (designed for the marine environment). My local hardware shop used to stock it, but I haven't seen it for years.

I think you can buy it direct if you buy a few cases, so when I get my boat home I'll look into stocking up (it was a heck of a lot cheaper than WD40 too).

I think a sewing machine and a solid hand sewing kit are pretty essential too.

First Aid Kit - big bottle of superglue and accelerator spray for it. You can stitch things together fast, build up finger splints, join cuts - always use disinfectant wipes to thoroughly clean first. Plus you can use it to hold things in position while you work on a solid repair, giving you an extra pair of hands.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: