Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-05-2015, 19:18   #76

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44' Steel Mauritius
Re: Much of a boat - just for fun

A "steal" is just a turn of phrase for a very excellent price which is what it seems we are all looking for. I live in an area with a lot of sailboats and haven't noticed many great deals on solid cruising boats. I spend every day at the harbor. Your area might be different.

If there are truly a ton of boats at the price you quoted then you should have no problem.
I think what a few people have been trying to tell you is that they have been down this road before and don't want you to make the same mistakes we have all seen so many times but I truly wish you all the luck in the world. I would advise you to listen carefully and take heed.
Mithril Bham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2015, 19:19   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
This whole thing has gone beyond me. Sounds like a bunch of kids?
I have a fella who has made it his mission to save me from myself. It is damned annoying. I figure some day he will get tired of the game and go away. In the meantime, here we are.

My 'friend' said that I couldn't find 'much of a boat' for $20K. That was his complete and entire post in one of my threads.

So I started this thread, half in jest to allow him (and you) to tell us what you consider 'much of a boat'. Of course my 'friend' isn't interested in telling us his idea of 'not much boat', though he is still valiantly trying to same me from myself. See his last post.

So yea, a bunch of kids.

Several folks have run with the thread intention however and many have said they bought inexpensive boats, fixed them up for waaaaaaay less than new retail, and are enjoying their boats.

My point exactly.

Enjoy the thread and tell us about your concept of what 'not much boat' means.
jwcolby54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2015, 19:43   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by magellanyachts View Post
A "steal" is just a turn of phrase for a very excellent price which is what it seems we are all looking for.
A 'steal' is what sucks us into a boat we can never possibly afford to fix. I see 'steals' by the dozen.

I am looking for a sound boat, not a 'very excellent price'.

I have a spreadsheet that I put the basic info in and it does all the math calcs. Just as an example I have discovered entire lines of boats that I just don't even consider because the numbers say they are motor sailors. I have enough to worry about without having to worry about keeping the diesel tank filled or I can't go out.

Or boats where the tanks are sized for day sailing.

I am coming out of NC, so going south means fighting the gulf stream and often the prevailing winds at the same time. My SA/D need to be useful. I will no doubt need to motor sometimes but the sails have to help. A lot, not a little.

Like that.

Quote:
I think what a few people have been trying to tell you is that they have been down this road before and don't want you to make the same mistakes we have all seen so many times but I truly wish you all the luck in the world. I would advise you to listen carefully and take heed.
Thanks, I have and I do.
Old 30-05-2015, 20:09   #79

Don't sweat the small stuff.
Do you need to work at a job or can you devote all of your time to the boat?
Do you have 20G's cash?
Don't mean to get personal but makes a huge difference.
Where do you plan to cruise?
Old 30-05-2015, 20:10   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwcolby54 View Post

Several folks have run with the thread intention however and many have said they bought inexpensive boats, fixed them up for waaaaaaay less than new retail, and are enjoying their boats.
I think the point many have been making is that ANYONE could do just that (less than new retail).

The issue has always been: a project boat is a project boat. And not always a good decision.

Much depends on what the abilities of the purchaser are and what things need to be done to the boat.

For example, I'm great with electricity and basic diesel stuff (rebuilding pump seals, fluids, HXs, etc.). I don't "do" bottom painting or standing rigging.

Others may and could do different things with different boats.

Your boat, your choice.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2015, 20:21   #81

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
The issue has always been: a project boat is a project boat. And not always a good decision.
And if the words 'project' appears in the ad I move on.
Old 30-05-2015, 20:37   #82

Quote:
Don't sweat the small stuff.
Do you need to work at a job or can you devote all of your time to the boat?
Do you have 20G's cash?
Don't mean to get personal but makes a huge difference.
Where do you plan to cruise?
I have a job that gives me lots of time to work on the boat. My intention is not to get a project however.

I have cash and after the purchase have cash just for upgrades. I will not be doing a project however. I have no interest in rescuing an old "classic" that is sinking into the sunset. Or a huge behemoth that is sinking into the sunset. Or anything that is sinking into the sunset.

I intend to cruise north during the summer (away from hurricanes) and south during the winter (away from cold).

Short term (the first year?) I will be cruising north and south along the SC/NC/Virginia coast until I am good with the boat and get my sea legs.

Medium term I want to get up to the coast of Maine and Nova Scotia.

After that south down the islands.
Old 30-05-2015, 21:24   #83

This gets complicated. Every boat is a project. My project boat was ready to sail to Tahiti when I bought it. Ugly but very seaworthy. Another boat that I bought in great shape was always a project. One of the worse project boats I have encountered was a brand new Sabre. Seems something went wrong every week. Like any communication words mean different things to different people.
People have different expectations. To a perfectionist a project boat may need some minor electrical work. To others it is a piece of junk.
My point being that the word "project" does not mean it's not worth checking out. More times I have seen boats represented as being in good shape needing an incredible amount of work that might not show on the surface.
Aren't boats fun? We all have to be slightly nuts.
Old 30-05-2015, 21:43   #84

Check this guy out.
I worked at a charter company for five years that had different types of boats. You really get to see how boats of different types held up. Also sailed them myself for a week at a time. I was always impressed by our Pearsons and the 33 seems like the range that you are looking at. Solid and comfortable.

1986 Pearson 33 Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
Old 30-05-2015, 21:45   #85

Quote:
This gets complicated. Every boat is a project.
I think there are personalities that are about rescue. I have a friend who is looking specifically for a 'rescue' dog, but not just any rescue dog, one that is missing a limb.

Really!

There are folks who often don't even realize it but are out to 'rescue' a boat.

Or a poster on the forum.

Or another human being (alcoholic etc).

So understand I am not a 'rescuer', or rather my rescue efforts have nothing to do with boats or posters on the forums.

I have a dead cold logical bent when it comes to systems. And I understand that every mechanical system requires maintenance and will eventually break. PM is not the same as 'project' however.

So let's get back to fun... 'much of a boat'. What did you buy, and how much did it cost to make it good for you?
Old 30-05-2015, 22:08   #86

Which one? I have two right now.
I suppose that I am a rescuer in a sense. My primary love now is a 44 thousand pound Bruce Roberts Steel Mauritius Pilothouse. Seriously the most seaworthy 44 I have ever seen. Builder spent over a decade cruising the world. Paid 32 and put another 40 (including moorage) and 2.5 years of full-time work into her. Stripped 5 coats of epoxy off the exterior teak. Rebuilt all systems. Will probably take another 30 to complete. I love to bring old, high quality, things back to life. Definitely not for everyone. The Ideal anchor windlass alone cost almost 6 G's and that's just the beginning. If I were you I would be looking at Cal, Pearson & Catalina for your purposes. Do yourself a favor and cruise the San Juan Islands some day.
Old 30-05-2015, 22:09   #87

Quote:
Check this guy out.
I worked at a charter company for five years that had different types of boats. You really get to see how boats of different types held up. Also sailed them myself for a week at a time. I was always impressed by our Pearsons and the 33 seems like the range that you are looking at. Solid and comfortable.

1986 Pearson 33 Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
Yes, a nice boat. I like the draft. OK SA/D. A somewhat narrow beam, smaller interior. Tanks good for the length but not like what you can get in the 37' range.

One reason I am drawn to the 37 range is that the LWL usually goes up and thus the Vhull. Not to mention tank sizes. Find a good SA/D and the right 37' works well for my location.

Folks out of Fl don't think about it like I do but I have to sail against a 2-4 kt current going south. That is a killer!!! If my MAX hull speed is <7 and I am fighting a 3 kt current... and then a head wind and the SA/D is a not great.. I am looking at a ton of diesel just to get there.

I am not moving to FL just to avoid reality.
Old 31-05-2015, 07:38   #88
Marine Service Provider

Boat: 1984 Catalina 22, 2005 Carolina Skiff 24, 1989 BW Outrage 19, BW SS 15

Quote:
Yes, a nice boat. I like the draft. OK SA/D. A somewhat narrow beam, smaller interior. Tanks good for the length but not like what you can get in the 37' range.

One reason I am drawn to the 37 range is that the LWL usually goes up and thus the Vhull. Not to mention tank sizes. Find a good SA/D and the right 37' works well for my location.

Folks out of Fl don't think about it like I do but I have to sail against a 2-4 kt current going south. That is a killer!!! If my MAX hull speed is <7 and I am fighting a 3 kt current... and then a head wind and the SA/D is a not great.. I am looking at a ton of diesel just to get there.

Check out Shoestring Sailors Part II, post #661. I consider the year I spent working on my Cal 34 the best year of my life.
Azul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2015, 11:19   #89

I very seldom get involved with these threads but sometimes they are fun. Usually just read articles on equipment and watch UTube videos on rebuilding and maintenance.
Don't know about your currents but we have very strong ones up here especially as you go north. Try 12 knots and 22 foot tides. They trick is to go with the current. Currents running from Victoria to Roche Harbor can reach 6 knots. Pretty cool to be making over 15 knots SOG. As far as a liveaboard is concerned I prefer 44' but I am getting old and appreciate my creature comforts more than I used to.
Here is a Pearson 37 close to your budget. I spent a lot of time on one of these:
1983 Pearson 37' Sloop Sail Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
Old 31-05-2015, 11:22   #90
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Quote:
...............Folks out of Fl don't think about it like I do but I have to sail against a 2-4 kt current going south. That is a killer!!! If my MAX hull speed is <7 and I am fighting a 3 kt current... and then a head wind and the SA/D is a not great.. I am looking at a ton of diesel just to get there.

Who told you Florida doesn't have tidal currents? There are six foot tides common in North Florida and plenty of places with currents similar to those you speak of in North Carolina. Of course, those tidal current change directions and they're with you half the time. If you're speaking of a long shore current, it's true they're not reversing with the Lunar day, but they are also strong in areas of Florida.

Tags
fun