Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-05-2015, 12:58   #91
Marine Service Provider

Boat: 1984 Catalina 22, 2005 Carolina Skiff 24, 1989 BW Outrage 19, BW SS 15
Re: Much of a boat - just for fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson Force View Post
Who told you Florida doesn't have tidal currents? There are six foot tides common in North Florida and plenty of places with currents similar to those you speak of in North Carolina. Of course, those tidal current change directions and they're with you half the time. If you're speaking of a long shore current, it's true they're not reversing with the Lunar day, but they are also strong in areas of Florida.

Perhaps he is aware of tidal currents on the ICW and is talking about going from NC to FL offshore fighting the north flowing gulfstream current.
Azul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2015, 13:10   #92

Boat: Vancouver 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwcolby54 View Post
Yes, a nice boat. I like the draft. OK SA/D. A somewhat narrow beam, smaller interior. Tanks good for the length but not like what you can get in the 37' range.

One reason I am drawn to the 37 range is that the LWL usually goes up and thus the Vhull. Not to mention tank sizes. Find a good SA/D and the right 37' works well for my location.

Folks out of Fl don't think about it like I do but I have to sail against a 2-4 kt current going south. That is a killer!!! If my MAX hull speed is <7 and I am fighting a 3 kt current... and then a head wind and the SA/D is a not great.. I am looking at a ton of diesel just to get there.

I am not moving to FL just to avoid reality.
The gulf stream gets within a couple miles of the south FL coast but elsewhere is far enough offshore to easily avoid coming south. I would not make trying to sail south against the stream a consideration in your purchase!

Just about every cruising sailboat does more motoring than they would like. It's pretty hard to avoid unless you really have a completely open ended schedule and a LOT of patience. So if the cost of diesel is an issue, keep the motor small. A 30HP diesel will sip about 1/3g / hr. Not a huge expense in the scheme of things.

All the best
laika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2015, 13:57   #93

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwcolby54 View Post
I think there are personalities that are about rescue. I have a friend who is looking specifically for a 'rescue' dog, but not just any rescue dog, one that is missing a limb.

Really!

There are folks who often don't even realize it but are out to 'rescue' a boat.

Or a poster on the forum.

Or another human being (alcoholic etc).

So understand I am not a 'rescuer', or rather my rescue efforts have nothing to do with boats or posters on the forums.

I have a dead cold logical bent when it comes to systems. And I understand that every mechanical system requires maintenance and will eventually break. PM is not the same as 'project' however.

So let's get back to fun... 'much of a boat'. What did you buy, and how much did it cost to make it good for you?
Got Mom and Pops 48 footer for nada. Trucked it 900 miles, pulled the diesels and genset and burnt her. Sometimes hard decisions need to be made. Long and short of it, don't bite off more than you can chew.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2015, 14:58   #94
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azul View Post
Perhaps he is aware of tidal currents on the ICW and is talking about going from NC to FL offshore fighting the north flowing gulfstream current.
I thought of this when I mentioned the long shore currents. The Gulfstream is closer to Florida from Miami to Palm Beach than any place in North Carolina.

Where I grew up in Fort Lauderdale when you went swimming in the ocean. Comming out of the water always included a hike back south to find your towel and shoes!

I know...I know there's the claim of this mysterious counter-current inshore from the gulfstream and I've found it too about 4 or 5 miles out, but everything at the beach is running north!

It just doesn't sit well with me to promote the thought that currents are not an issue in Florida.
Old 31-05-2015, 15:21   #95

Boat: 1995 Catalina 36 MkII

Two factors that greatly impact this conversation are:

1. How much of the repair work can you do yourself. There is huge savings in Diy but you have to know what you are doing or have someone nearby who does.

2. Avoid a hauling until essential. Yard costs are to be avoided until absolutely necessary...
rbyham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2015, 15:52   #96

In the spirit of the topic, my "magic number" is 100k, all in. This is only because it's a nice round number to shoot for in saving $, and it let's me look at boats in the 30-50K range in the meantime, and try to figure out what it would take to outfit it the way I'd like. My criteria is a bit different than the OP. Need room for two young boys full-time (5&8 atm) and occasional visitors. Also seriously wanting two heads, likely two sticks and center cockpit (maybe pilot house) since we'll be short handed, safety/"blue-ness" over performance and a desire to cross oceans.

To the OPs comment about currents and sailing ability, I will only offer the following cocktail napkin math (as one engineer to another..)..

24hr pr day of motoring nonstop for 7 days straight with a largish (compared to what you are likely to have in your size range) diesel consuming .5 gal/hr will need 84gallons of fuel. @ $4/gal the whole week of the diesel going will cost you $336. More of course when you factor in wear, filters, etc, etc. Not exactly what I would call a massive expense. Hell, most marinas would would cost more than than that a night.

Still think it's a good idea to actually get a boat that, you know.. sails.. but not sure I'd sweat the extra couple percent efficiency, at least not from a diesel consumption /cost perspective.
monstads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2015, 17:29   #97
RTB

Boat: Hunter 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbyham View Post
Two factors that greatly impact this conversation are:

1. How much of the repair work can you do yourself. There is huge savings in Diy but you have to know what you are doing or have someone nearby who does.

2. Avoid a hauling until essential. Yard costs are to be avoided until absolutely necessary...
#2 first. Many "bargain" boats will have been neglected for awhile. If thru-hulls/seacocks/hoses are in bad condition, it's possible the boat is just waiting for something to fail and sink. Maybe the rudder is bent? Maybe the prop/strut/thru-hulls are shot because there hasn't been zincs doing their work for years. To me, below the waterline is the most important thing (you know....staying afloat).

#1 True, but a boat for $20K doesn't necessarily need to be a project boat. Mine certainly wasn't.

I'm just guessing the OP might buy a boat without having a survey done. Not a bad thing necessarily. I would have saved a few bucks if I had a survey on my boat before buying (*if* the surveyor caught what I missed). The thing to consider when boat shopping on the lower end is.....how much do you know about boats. What to look for. Is there a soft section on the deck? Is the compression post in good condition, if deck stepped? Things like that. Things that would be difficult for the average guy to repair.

I won't link directly to SailNet, but just do a google search for "boat inspection trip tips" for a really great guide to doing your own inspection.

Anyway, a $20K boat can surely take you to paradise.

Click image for larger version

Name:	fugue at warderick wells.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	421.2 KB
ID:	103001

Name:	Emerald Rock.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	411.2 KB
ID:	103002

Name:	North <a title=Bimini.jpg Views: 111 Size: 399.2 KB ID: 103003" style="margin: 2px" />

Name:	Brogdons in <a title=Bimini.jpg Views: 104 Size: 412.5 KB ID: 103004" style="margin: 2px" />

Name:	hitchhiker on hat.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	405.6 KB
ID:	103005

Ralph
RTB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2015, 17:38   #98

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTB View Post
#1 True, but a boat for $20K doesn't necessarily need to be a project boat. Mine certainly wasn't.
jwcolby54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-05-2015, 17:48   #99

Quote:
Originally Posted by monstads View Post
24hr pr day of motoring nonstop for 7 days straight with a largish (compared to what you are likely to have in your size range) diesel consuming .5 gal/hr will need 84gallons of fuel.
And at least one refill sometime during the week with many / most tank sizes in this boat size.

I read a lot of "have to motor due to light airs" and then see the poster has a 12.75 SA/D boat. Well no kidding!

So I get your point but the impact is bigger than that.
jwcolby54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 14:21   #100

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
Got Mom and Pops 48 footer for nada. Trucked it 900 miles, pulled the diesels and genset and burnt her. Sometimes hard decisions need to be made. Long and short of it, don't bite off more than you can chew.
Very good advice. Trying to downsize now.
Old 01-06-2015, 14:42   #101

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44' Steel Mauritius

Feel your pain Cadence. Good advice but I lesson I seem to never learn. Possibly because I like fixing things so much. Thinking of saving money by working on other people's boats for nothing.
Mithril Bham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 14:52   #102

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by magellanyachts View Post
Feel your pain Cadence. Good advice but I lesson I seem to never learn. Possibly because I like fixing things so much. Thinking of saving money by working on other people's boats for nothing.
No pain. They had lived on her for 17 yrs. in the NE. Heating a wooden boat and causing condensation took it's toll. Such is life. They enjoyed her that's what counts.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 14:58   #103

Boat: Scout 30

Quote:
I'd pay you twice that much to work on mine!
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 15:02   #104

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44' Steel Mauritius

Make it 3 X as much and it's a deal.
Mithril Bham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2015, 15:06   #105

Boat: Scout 30

Quote:
Make it 3 X as much and it's a deal.
You've got it! & I'll even throw in a beer.
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fun