Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-01-2014, 09:35   #1

Boat: 1978 Cal 39 MKII Tall Mast
Moving to Panama!

Any recommendations on where I could live aboard my Cal 39 near Panama City?

Sent from my XT1030 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
beebopbogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2014, 09:53   #2
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Moving to Panama!

Well there's a strong liveaboard contingent at Las Brisas anchorage.. dinghy dock is the pits tho'.
Across the strip is a nice bay near a marina where they let you use their dock for a small fee..

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2014, 06:17   #3

Boat: DUFOUR 12000 CT - 45' - SANS SOUCI
Re: Moving to Panama!

Quote:
Originally Posted by beebopbogo View Post

Tobago and use the ferry.
sanssouci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2014, 08:03   #4

Boat: Cruisers Yachts 420 Express
Send a message via ICQ to jeremiason Send a message via Yahoo to jeremiason Send a message via Skype™ to jeremiason

It depends on what you want to do...

The marinas are very expensive... Probably for you about $2000 to $4000 per month.

Tabago is great, but very inconvenient for groceries and getting to Panama City, at least in my opinion. It is a ten mile ferry ride each direction. to Balboa YC.

The Las Brisas Anchorage is poor holding and every time a squall blows through you heard people on the cruiser's net reporting dragging boats. Also at least when we were there the Dingy dock sucked and was frequently broken.

Balboa YC has moorings, which we stayed on for a couple of months. For us it was the best choice. I think they run about $30-$35 a day now.

jeremiason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2014, 08:13   #5
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Further along the causeway past the buildings is better holding.. just a longer dinghy ride.. in 4 weeks and some bad blows where I did some wild dinghy rides to help dragging boats we never dragged once.. and we had a CQR..
Be careful though.. someone deliberately sank their boat not far from us while we were there..

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
Old 30-01-2014, 08:26   #6

Send a message via Skype™ to Evenstar

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremiason View Post
It depends on what you want to do...

The marinas are very expensive... Probably for you about $2000 to $4000 per month.

Tabago is great, but very inconvenient for groceries and getting to Panama City, at least in my opinion. It is a ten mile ferry ride each direction. to Balboa YC.

The Las Brisas Anchorage is poor holding and every time a squall blows through you heard people on the cruiser's net reporting dragging boats. Also at least when we were there the Dingy dock sucked and was frequently broken.

Balboa YC has moorings, which we stayed on for a couple of months. For us it was the best choice. I think they run about $30-$35 a day now.
"Sucked" and "Broken" would be an improvement to the dinghy dock at Las Brisas as it stands today. "Treacherous" and "Scary" would be more accurate. We've not had any trouble holding here yet, but we've not seen any storms over the last few weeks. Currently the dinghy dock is an old floating platform off shore held to pilings my furry old lines. There is a plastic dink on a clothesline you use to pull yourself over to the steep, uneven and frequently slippery stone steps. Depends on the tides, as the tide is falling the last couple of steps are always wet and very slippery, on the rising tide they've had time to dry out ans are OK.

I'm not sure what the membership deal is at Balboa YC, though I know of an American that has joined and keeps his boat there I do not know details. It is VERY expensive (for a mooring) to stay there as a transient; $.75/foot/day thereabouts which adds up fast. Though it includes free launch service (dinghy use is not permitted, you must call the launch) and water. There is no monthly or long term rate that we were aware of, we were there for about five weeks when we left our boat to visit the states and it costs a fair bit. There is also a LOT of traffic from pilot and work boats in and out there that bounce you around and belch exhaust soot all over your boat if you are too close to their regular route.

The Playita marina charges $35/week to use their dinghy dock and they are quite strict about monitoring it. They charge extra if you want to unload more than three people. It is apparently a nice dock but crowded.

The Las Brisas dinghy dock is workable if you pay attention to tides and wind and are careful. It just isn't nice.
Evenstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2014, 08:38   #7
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evenstar View Post
"Sucked" and "Broken" would be an improvement to the dinghy dock at Las Brisas as it stands today. "Treacherous" and "Scary" would be more accurate. We've not had any trouble holding here yet, but we've not seen any storms over the last few weeks. Currently the dinghy dock is an old floating platform off shore held to pilings my furry old lines. There is a plastic dink on a clothesline you use to pull yourself over to the steep, uneven and frequently slippery stone steps. Depends on the tides, as the tide is falling the last couple of steps are always wet and very slippery, on the rising tide they've had time to dry out ans are OK.

I'm not sure what the membership deal is at Balboa YC, though I know of an American that has joined and keeps his boat there I do not know details. It is VERY expensive (for a mooring) to stay there as a transient; $.75/foot/day thereabouts which adds up fast. Though it includes free launch service (dinghy use is not permitted, you must call the launch) and water. There is no monthly or long term rate that we were aware of, we were there for about five weeks when we left our boat to visit the states and it costs a fair bit. There is also a LOT of traffic from pilot and work boats in and out there that bounce you around and belch exhaust soot all over your boat if you are too close to their regular route.

The Playita marina charges $35/week to use their dinghy dock and they are quite strict about monitoring it. They charge extra if you want to unload more than three people. It is apparently a nice dock but crowded.

The Las Brisas dinghy dock is workable if you pay attention to tides and wind and are careful. It just isn't nice.
Sounds the same.. was a lady on the anchorage raising funds from us 'transients' on the 'Net' for new lines while I was there in May 2012.. dunno if it happened..

Old 30-01-2014, 11:13   #8

Boat: DUFOUR 12000 CT - 45' - SANS SOUCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by beebopbogo View Post

mahalo
Likely a necessary stop going through the canal, but limit your stay, 2013-06-09
Captain: Akgriffy, Juneau, AK (258)

We spent a week here after clearing through the canal. Old encrusted tires serve as mooring balls (there is no marina, per se). Transportation to and from you boat to the fuel dock office pier is provided by panga launch (call on VHF or honk your horn).
Extreemly busy, noisy and subject to constant wake activity from the speeding crew/support launches racing by at full speed to deliver their cargo to the ships anchored awaiting canal transit. Oddly, the ships going up and down the channel do not cause wakes. If you do stay here ask for a ball on the north side as far away from the channel and the party boats moored to the south as possible. The resturaunt was good and prices very reasonable. It is frequented by many cruisers and e-pat residents so if you need any technical help with your boat ask around in the bar, you'll easily find it.
Provisions need to be dropped near the bar and, for a few $$, you can get one of the many locals hanging in the area to haul it down to the end of the long pier to the fuel/launch dock for you using their dollies.
This is a busy place, and subject to weekend parties on other moored boats as well as loud music from the bar and nearby outdoor fairgrounds, so don't plan on a lot of sleep. Consider it a place to reprovision and prepare for a canal transit or your next voyage. Fuel is sometimes available at the fuel dock, but most go to the large Flamingo Marina on the east side of the causeway (call ahead for an appointment, as it is crowded). If you need or want a canal agent going to the Caribbean side, this would be the place to find one easily.
sanssouci is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Panama