Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 04-01-2015, 20:26   #16

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54
Re: Moving to Bainbridge Island, WA worried about keeping warm, moisture and storm is

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyLaDou View Post
I also just moved aboard in the PNW. Currently I am in Tacoma. The neighbors are friendly and ever so helpful. This is my first boat and I don't even know what I don't know. A positive attitude and a can do spirit will be your biggest asset.

However, I can attest to the heat put out by my Dickinson diesel heater. Warm, dry heat. Which cut down on the condensation a little. The condensation, I have seen that all my neighbors have dehumidifiers in the 50 -70 pint range. That will be my next purchase.

Storms, well, I haven't seen a big one yet....yet. There have been a couple of very windy days and I enjoyed feeling the boat moving around.

Neighbors, I have great ones. In a month, I know or have at least met all the live aboard's on my dock. The Golden Rule seems to work well in the marina

In all, this beats living in an apartment hands down.

Bobby Wandering Star
Just a quick word of advice, Bobby... Don't invest in a dehumidifier until you scope out how well the dry heat from your Dickinson works. If you run it at low temps and high when you are aboard, you may find that is sufficient to keep the humidity and mold at bay in the PNW. Check beneath your sleeping mattress and your covers for a few weeks which is where much of your dampness will accumulate. Air out your bedding in warm, dry weather when you can and that may be enough. Always keep a hatch partially open when cooking and air out your vessel regularly. Propane stoves are buggers for adding to the humidity. Lived aboard for many years and those rules always worked for me! Cheers, Phil

Old 05-01-2015, 22:22   #17

Boat: Skookum Pilothouse Ketch 34'
Re: Moving to Bainbridge Island, WA worried about keeping warm, moisture and storm is

Thanks, Phil!

S/V Wandering Star
Tacoma, WA

It is what it is.

Old 09-01-2015, 03:46   #18
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG

If you have room, a pellet stove is both cheaper to run and easier to refuel than a wood stove. It uses a smaller pipe and usually keeps a more uniform temperature, too. I have a diesel boiler that burns 3-5 gallons a day in winter, so I went to a pellet stove and built my own coil to circulate water to the boiler and on to my heating system. I went from $600 a month to about $150 heating expense. Prior to that with a wood stove I burned about 5 cords a winter and I was either too hot or too cold. When running my mains heat the boiler, too.
I would stay away from propane appliances within the boat. Propane is heavier than air so settles in the bilge and one spark... There is always a few boats each year that blow up.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	boat-explosion.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	115.8 KB
ID:	95196   Click image for larger version

Name:	boat-explosion1.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	43.7 KB
ID:	95197  

Name:	boat-explosion4.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	43.1 KB
ID:	95198   Click image for larger version

Name:	boat-explosion5.jpg
Views:	141
Size:	16.9 KB
ID:	95199  

Name:	boat-explosion6.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	311.4 KB
ID:	95200  
Old 09-01-2015, 05:29   #19
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Modified Choate 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lepke View Post
I would stay away from propane appliances within the boat. Propane is heavier than air so settles in the bilge and one spark... There is always a few boats each year that blow up.
You're exaggerating! Kind of like shooting a propane bottle to make it explode theory. I only see two, maybe 3 different boats there. Where's the rest?

Doing a google search I found maybe 1 per year for the past 5 years. That's a pretty low percentage considering how much propane is being used on pleasure boats. If one follows all the safety procedures in installation the chance is almost null.

If you know anything about propane you'll know that it takes a certain ratio propane:air to create an explosion. If not enough oxygen you'll get nothing, too much propane and it'll put a match out. Take a course in 'confined space entry' and you'll see the variables. And boats are one of the very few vessels that are not legally classified as a 'confined space'.

Unprepared boaters, end up as floatsum!.......
delmarrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2015, 10:30   #20

Boat: Ian Ross design ketch 63'

We have just moved aboard in Blaine WA (just south of Canadian border) and as transplanted East Coasters had the same worries as you. I've found our two Dickenson diesel stoves to be an unforeseen blessing. The Atlantic model in the forward quarters heats gently and allows me to cook (albeit very differently than home) and the Antarctic model in the aft quarters does the same job for that area. Condensation is minimal, I think due to good insulation, and it usually takes about 2 gals a day to keep it going 24 hours cranked up.

I don't know about gray water issues on Bainbridge Is., but they are very different than my past experience. The marina has all the discharge warnings, pump boats, porta potty cleaning station, etc., but I know for a fact that many of the commercial salmon fishermen just pump out in broad daylight. The size of our boat ensures we are at the commercial docks and I see them. So what the laws are and how they are enforced are still a mystery to me. As a newcomer it isn't for me to judge.

Good luck to you in your adventures - I haven't regretted a minute of it since last June. (Well, maybe a minute...) but I wouldn't go back for the world.
Old 28-01-2015, 05:07   #21

Boat: Ingrid

I lived aboard in the Eagle Harbor Marina for 2 years. It was surprisingly affordable, or it was three years ago anyway. You're protected very well from foul weather. There's good sailing just north of Eagle Harbor up towards the Shilshole Marina in Seattle. For whatever reason the winds in that area make for good sailing.

As has been mentioned, great food close by (Doc Maynard's), good fresh food market, all within walking distance from the community dock. Ferries to downtown Seattle are a short walk away.

I've heard recently that the new "water marina park" owned by the city, that was created when they kicked out all the old livabooards, is renting mooring balls for $100 a month. I'm not positive about that, but I would use it if I could.

Heat and such?.......Easy, diesel heat (I prefer the easier maintained diesel pot burners), insulation, and ventilation.

What's not to like at Eagle Harbor? Oh, and snobs......lots and lots of snobs on the island.
Old 04-02-2015, 10:41   #22
cruiser

Boat: Kettenburg K40

Interesting thread. Here's my 2 cents, with that you can get........ well nothing.

As Strait Shooter can attest, BTW, howdy, I arrived in Port Angeles in August, I bought my dream here. And have spent all of it on board. Last trip off dock was in late Dec and I'm plugged into shore power if here.

I use two electric's and bought a propane LIl buddy when the temp's dropped farther in Dec. My cabin is typically 68-70 on "normal winter days", when colder, the propane works to augment them. The boat came with a Force 10 propane, but thats like running a blowtorch as far as burn rates go. I also use propane stove, but only for cooking. Condensation isnt an issue if you ventilate, but is imperative.

Off the dock is manageable, with 5 oil lamps adding 10 degrees rise!

One thing I have learned is if I had the room, I'd go with a diesel fueled heater for economy and better thermal balance.

As far as safe, it's as safe as I can make it for what I have available, so as anything that makes a headline, when it goes off, it goes off big. Just have to maintain system properly, as diesel.

My advice, just do it. You can work it out as you go. Enjoy it!
Old 04-02-2015, 11:12   #23
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

For a liveaboard and larger boat I vote the Webasto forced air furnace run on kerosene or as mentioned the big Dickenson diesel cook stove like the fisherman use. ....if you just leave it on and never turn it off. Otherwise diesel can be messy coating your boat with soot... not quickly if burning right, but it does do it over time.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2015, 09:14   #24

Boat: Newport 33

Hello! How is it going in Bainbridge? Myself and my partner and probably going to be moving that way in April. I'd love to hear about your experiences. I share all of these fears!

-April
Old 09-03-2015, 12:21   #25
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: previous - Whitby 42 new - Goldenwave 44

We have our boat in Anacortes on the east side of Fidalgo Island. One thing everyone pays attention to in the winter is how to position the boat in the slip to face into the direction of the worst windstorms. I can't speak to Bainbridge, but up here we can get steady 45-50kt winds with gusts to 70 at times. The strain on the dock lines is enormous so bow-to is important. I think it is windier here.

I wouldn't recommend a wood stove in any situation. You should check with the marina if you consider it since they may be prohibited. I would prohibit it if I were the manager. We have a diesel heater with a separate air intake so it is a completely sealed unit. This lessens the possibility of CO poisoning. And we have two CO monitors on board.

I want to get one of the heat powered fans that sets on top of the heater but they are pricy. If I was to start over I would get a webasto or similar diesel heater.

Insulation, insulation, insulation!!

And get a slip close to the heated clean washroom and showers. Humidity on the boat is a huge problem. Get something to put under any fabrics (mattress, linens, towels, clothes, etc) that sit on top of cabinetry or the bunk boards. For air circulation. I use the HyperVent material you can get from Fisheries and other places.

And make sure all lockers have slatted vents for air circulation. And the more cooking you do (or coffee making) the more humidity you put in to the boat.

I put an electric dehumidifier on board ours for the winter. Some cons to that (space, draining or removing water, cost) but they work well.

Oh - wash behind the ears daily - helps keep the mildew down. Just kidding - lots of people live aboard up and here and love it. But you have to keep the damp off of the boat and stay warm.
Old 10-03-2015, 10:22   #26

Boat: Formosa/Peterson 46 Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarrey View Post
You're exaggerating! Kind of like shooting a propane bottle to make it explode theory. I only see two, maybe 3 different boats there. Where's the rest?

Doing a google search I found maybe 1 per year for the past 5 years. That's a pretty low percentage considering how much propane is being used on pleasure boats. If one follows all the safety procedures in installation the chance is almost null.

If you know anything about propane you'll know that it takes a certain ratio propane:air to create an explosion. If not enough oxygen you'll get nothing, too much propane and it'll put a match out. Take a course in 'confined space entry' and you'll see the variables. And boats are one of the very few vessels that are not legally classified as a 'confined space'.
Yes and I was told i would die from using my Weems and Plath oil lamps and the Weems and Plath super clean oil. It's all we have used to keep our sailboat warm at times, with a cracked open hatch nearby. Really desperate times mean I bake something so no one really suffers too much around here.When the sun starts to go down the oven gets to make dinner in those baking bags, no mess to clean up. Propane is a very clean fuel, just respect it. I'd never mess with diesel. I hate the soot.You have to breathe that stuff, although I will back track and recommend the Webasto system. Friends living aboard with small kids did great with that set up. Plus hot water at you finger tips. We use an instant on propane water heater that lives in the head with its own shower attachment. With lots of ventilation for the moisture and any fumes. Available at camping supply sites. For under $200. Our engine heats the rest of the water in the boat for the galley etc. Dawn soap is great for removing grease if your water isn't very warm. We don't live at a dock.
Truly off the grid.
You have to understand, the safety switch that turns off the propane downstairs must be used, the propane bottles have to stay outside or in a box that has holes at the bottom to let any leaked propane dissipate. However, if you have a leaky bottle you should just replace it.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: