Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 11-07-2013, 11:54   #31
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Mainship 36 Dual Cabin
Re: Moving to a liveaboard boat with a 6 year old

As far as financing a boat, Amegy Bank on Hywy 518 in league City is pretty boater friendly.
Insurance for Live-aboards is a whole different story. Most insurance companies will not insure Live-aboards for 'Hull Insurance'. They will, however, have no problem insuring for liability.
We have our live-aboard insurance through Marine Underwriting, Inc. Our agent is Garret Heck at Kevin E. Severance Insurance Agency in league City

Tony B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2013, 12:09   #32

Boat: 1984 hunter 34
That Garrett is a good guy.....

Old 11-07-2013, 12:27   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg and Amber View Post
Ok, the boat is already in a marina slip, which we like and know people at already. The boat is an older vessel and needs some TLC for sure, but has huge potential. Most of the work is cosmetic inside, and my husband can do the actual work as he is very experienced in it already. Location is Kemah, TX and several people live in the marina's around here, it seems to be pretty common. Boat slip is only 300.00/ month not counting live aboard fee. I personally think is an awesome price myself.
I'm going to keep my daughter in public school as it is her 1st grade year and she loves that. We have an excellent school district here. I'm more looking for people who have actually had a child aboard and how easy/difficult it was for them.
I will look into financing through a bank, I was just thinking that their were actual companies that dealt with just boats. Google here I come..lol
Hey guys I have a lot of info on this and live in your area. I keep my boat in Galveston at the moment if you would like to get together let me know. My wife and our 3 kiddos are preparing for the cruising life now.
Old 11-07-2013, 13:03   #34

Boat: Custom Steel 43 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by gonesail View Post
pay cash for the boat if you can. also beware of needing to do work on a boat while living aboard .. speaking from experience. some jobs make a huge mess and you will spend much of your time cleaning up every afternoon so you can live in the boat.
Good advice. Whatever you do, do not get a loan for a fixer-upper. Even if you buy something in perfect condition you are soon going go to need more money to fix it.

But... owning and living on a boat is far cheaper than owning and living in a house. Put the difference into paying off your loan quickly and then into savings. You will be way ahead of the dreamers.

You have the most important ingredient already - both partners are on board with the idea of living on a boat.

Most people we meet on cruising boats have waited until retirement and their vigor has left them. It's east to say "pay cash" when you have a lifetime of savings behind you. Don't be wait until you are too old to enjoy the lifestyle.

Taking a loan out for a live aboard is far smarter than taking out a loan for a cruising boat you use a few time each year. People take out loans for much sillier reasons - like new cars and other accessories to land based lifestyles.

Good luck!
Old 11-07-2013, 14:09   #35

Boat: Fuji 45'
Send a message via Yahoo to DiverChick71 Send a message via Skype™ to DiverChick71

My boyfriend and I moved into a 26 foot RV to see if we were compatible in a small space. It was a fun trial run, we learned a few things about each other. I like small spaces. And back to topic, Essex was who we talked to about financing before we decided to go with a smaller, older, cheaper boat just to make sure we liked it. I'd rather be out less money IF I decide I don't like living aboard or miss "stuff." Essex allowed liveaboards, just charged higher interest, and loaned money on older boats. They require 690 credit score.
Old 12-07-2013, 10:04   #36

I want to say thank you to everyone who has taken time to reply with some pretty good advice. My husband and I now have 2 surveyors that we are looking into, and the boat is in great condition for the price. Cosmetic work is really the issue and he is very good at this. I'm so appreciative of all the boaters who have children aboard that have commented. With the way our society is now, I think it's a better situation to have the close quarters making for a better relationship with our child. Again thank you all for your input.
Old 15-07-2013, 11:25   #37
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34

Ha, I was going to direct the OP to a cute blog post about a little guy moving aboard a boat, but see that Sea change is already here. Enjoy your blog shanedennis :-) nice boat!

Good luck Greg and Amber, hope the sale goes nice and smooth :-)
Erika
Old 20-07-2013, 11:22   #38

Boat: Cow Horn Schooner

I live in the BVI. I have lived on a boat for quite a few years. My grandson lived with us for a year. I home schooled him through Calvert. The experience was and continues to be outstanding!! My grandson was active in the sailing programs here sponsored by the Royal BVI Yacht Club, took pottery lessons at a local shop, washed boats for extra money and totally enjoyed himself. He is nine years old. I would like to point out that while he was living with us, the boat was having her entire interior remolded/rebuilt. He had no problems adapting to life on a boat.
Old 20-07-2013, 16:07   #39

Greg and Amber, Did I miss the part of you guys telling us what kind of boat you are looking to buy? Good luck to you.
Old 22-07-2013, 09:26   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizard1_us View Post
Greg and Amber, Did I miss the part of you guys telling us what kind of boat you are looking to buy? Good luck to you.

It's a 38 foot powerboat, a Trojan. We would like a sailboat eventually, but this one is going to be our starter boat and we will do all the repairs and liveaboard till we find what we are really wanting.
Old 22-07-2013, 09:41   #41

Boat: Custom Steel 43 ft
We have met several very happy power-boat cruisers out there. It's not for us, the fuel bills would kill us, but they have fabulous space and amenities. Good luck!

Tags
liveaboard

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: