Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 10-08-2016, 22:06   #16
Wayfaring Mariner

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Skookum 53'
Re: Moving aboard - What to do with my stuff?

It costs us $100 dollars a year for a largish safe deposit box at the bank, works for us.

Old 10-08-2016, 22:33   #17

When we were overseas for extended periods of time, I batch organized documents based on the following:

1. Materials needed to prove citizenship, identify, marriage - originals were stored in a safebox with a reliable person with good access to communication. In our case, it was our daughter. We also kept with us on board additional copy of our marriage certificate that we obtained from the registrar of wills with official seals and stamps (important because we're of diff nationality and depending on where we go, that may impact things). Photocopies of everything was carried aboard.

2. Everything else. In the everything else category, you decide if the world cares if you burn it, if not - burn it. If someone would care, let them decide by asking if they would like it. Otherwise - burn it.

Old 10-08-2016, 22:54   #18

Thanks for all the good advice
Old 11-08-2016, 00:57   #19

Boat: Jeanneau 40 DS SoulMates

We put all our important papers with my son. Wills, birth cert ect. You never know what is going to happen out here and I do not plan on sinking with the boat but ------

Also gave my son - whom I trust - with a limited power of attorney - just in case
chuckr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2016, 02:03   #20

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Like so many others above, we keep a packet of important papers with copies at a second location as well as some redundant data in the "cloud".

We've never down-sized because we've never had "stuff"; however, we do continue removing little bits of debris from our possession. I think most of us had a time in our lives when we could travel light with everything we owned and that time was marked by freedom.

We do have about 50 cubic feet of clothing, tools, galley ware and equipment that is always with us aboard our boat, but if we travel away from our home aboard for as long as a month, we each do well with a small backpack and a small wheeled carry-on case.

I have the impression that it is common for people that live in houses to have 90% of their possessions stored or shelved in their house and only dealt with if they move to a new house.
Old 11-08-2016, 04:56   #21
Don't ask if you can't handle it

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hunter 410

I'm currently working on getting rid of "stuff". I figure we are going to end up with 2 boxes of "keepables" stored with my brother. But "important stuff" goes on the boat with us because if room can not be found for them they are "important" after all.
Old 11-08-2016, 08:41   #22

Boat: Westerly Centaur 26
Send a message via Skype™ to Manos1955

Consider a Bank security box for docs and jewelry
Consider eBay for big ticket items they will sell within days at the Right price
Good luck
Old 11-08-2016, 09:24   #23

Boat: Ian Ross design ketch 63'

For legal papers we have the originals in a watertight case with us on the boat. We don't plan on sinking. Also digitized copies and my sister has instructions on how to access. We had originally stored them in a safe deposit box, but after a year on the boat we simply forgot to pay for another year on the box and the bank assumed we were dead or something. All sorts of trouble. If you go the bank deposit box, I strongly suggest an auto-pay option.

For family memorabilia leave the originals with family and take copies with you. Photos, paintings, old books (that's the stuff I cherish personally) all suffer from the damp air.

Jewelry - the really good stuff is no good on a boat or in harbors or in other countries. It'll just mark you as ... well, a mark to be stolen from. Sell or give those emeralds to family. (Boat dollars!) Or if living aboard has an end date, keep them in the bank box.

I hadn't thought of a limited power of attorney - so thanks for starting this thread, I learned something. I try to learn something every day, so I'm done till tomorrow!~

Hope this helps.
Old 11-08-2016, 09:26   #24

Boat: 1971 cal 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWFLman View Post
My wife has convinced me to move aboard, so we have started the process. First step is to get rid of the house. We had an estate sale last weekend, followed by numerous pickups loads to good will. We have a couple of boxes "earmarked" to send to our daughter. A couple of pictures to my sister. We are trying to avoid putting anything into storage. So my main question is what to do with important documents such as marriage certificates, birth certificates, insurance policies and stuff like that? We are determined to get rid of all the junk we have accumulated over the years. Would love to hear suggestions on how other have done it. Once we sell the house we will be purchasing something in the neighborhood of a 47 foot Beneteau. Since we are both working for the next couple of years, we plan to live in a marina in SW Florida, before cutting the lines for good.

Thanks everyone for your secrets.

Steve
i am interested to see the answers of all this too. i keep my important documents with me but, if the boat sinks.....

anyhow, your wife suggested?! lucky lucky man. where do guys find these wonderful women?
Old 11-08-2016, 09:29   #25

You, like me, are in a very select category of fortunate men with a wife that loves the sea as much (more) than you. Consider it a real blessing as moving aboard creates separation anxiety for all but especially for women. That being said I can tell you that sizing down creates lots of unrealistic problems. We have lived aboard while owning our home and keeping our precious junk stored there (what a mess to "come home" to). And we finally opted to sell the house and go full time RVing. We started with a 10 x 15 x10 storage unit packed to the gills and top to bottom and hit the road. After a couple of years and numerous undustings, unpacking, moving and repackaged decided we had a great deal of unused stuff. We sold about $20,000 dollars worth of household goods, fishing gear and tools over the next 6 months and reduced our storage to a neatly 1/2 packed 10 x 10. Making progress feels good! We stayed "in our RV" at our daughter's house when they moved to watch over things while the place sold and used that time to "garage sale" more "precious junk". We downsized storage again to a 5 x 10. Now we too are moving aboard our "new to us" boat. Ours is quite a bit smaller (a 30' Ericson) but our downsize is too as we are aboard a 39' Aerbus right now. Six years of living aboard an RV makes it easier to transition (not to mention that we lived aboard our boat in the island while rating our kids). We are leaving our RV with one granddaughter who will keep it on the property of her sister and her husband. I am sure that we could store more "precious junk" there but we are finally understanding what I am trying to pass on to others, yourself included. If you have "things" in storage that you have had there for more than two years w/o using them, they evidently are not that important. We are down to 14 crates and boxes after donating another $4500 of tools and fishing gear to Goodwill (it only hurt while doing it and is already forgotten). There are a couple of things that "need to go to family" (my question is why, if the family "needs/wants it, have we been storing it for 6 years. Oh well, I will only speculate)! We have 2 months and one more trip to the storage unit (already planned) before we move aboard. If you have plans to downsize to move aboard, I am hoping it doesn't take you as long. Get a storage unit for household goods you think you may want or need and once aboard, visit it as often as necessary to confirm the reality. Get rid of the rest! For your important papers etc. etc. make copies to keep with you and leave the rest in a security box with friends or family (try to remember to keep it small too as they will not enjoy being saddled with your "precious junk" regardless of what they say. And, in a worst case scenario, get a safety deposit box somewhere near a place you know you will visit most often in the future. Our plans are to do the Great Loop for at least a couple of years and home base in Mobile - the grandkids live in nearby Foley so.... Sorry this got so long winded. Just venting years of pent up frustrations I guess. Good luck with you moving aboard plans and successful cruising. Fair winds and following seas! Bruce V
Old 11-08-2016, 09:32   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
If its really a small amount then leave with family. If it's more than that then check Shipping and Transfer companies. They do long term storage for cheaper than getting your own storage unit. $50 a month gets you a fair amount of secure storage.
this is great to know. wish i had seen this post a number of years ago!
Old 11-08-2016, 09:41   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudson Force View Post
I think most of us had a time in our lives when we could travel light with everything we owned and that time was marked by freedom.
the quote of the century! well said!
Old 11-08-2016, 10:46   #28
Don't ask if you can't handle it

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hunter 410

For those worried about the boat sinking with your papers on it do you worry as much as your house catching on fire? If you really are that worried about sinking you shouldn't get a boat.
Old 11-08-2016, 12:11   #29

Boat: Bénéteau Oceanis 393 Clipper, 12 m / 39'

HTML Code:
"My wife has convinced me to move aboard, so we..."
Man, - are you blessed. Where did you find that wife?
Does she have a twin sister?:
Old 11-08-2016, 13:09   #30
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: V45

We bought ourselves a lock up garage and an ex-bank safe that weighs 1.5 tons. We fitted discrete security locks to the garage door as well. We also emailed digital copies of everything to ourselves after resetting the calendar on our laptop to 01.01.1980 - that makes all the documents No.1 in our email accounts and super easy to locate. The other space in the garage is also useful for storage. Spare keys for the safe are with a trusted friend - who does not actually know the garage location. Our lawyer has the address of the friend to complete the link should it be required. As our eldest children (twins are about to start 'varsity), we shall be reviewing our arrangements.
We also carry certified colour copies with us.
It is not expensive, heavy or bulky to buy a small water & fire proof safe (they are not very burglar resistant though). Why not just get one, Sentry make them as an example, and just take it to a friend or family member? They only weigh around 20kgs so are easy to transport and easy to put into someones attic or cellar.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWFLman View Post
My wife has convinced me to move aboard, so we have started the process. First step is to get rid of the house. We had an estate sale last weekend, followed by numerous pickups loads to good will. We have a couple of boxes "earmarked" to send to our daughter. A couple of pictures to my sister. We are trying to avoid putting anything into storage. So my main question is what to do with important documents such as marriage certificates, birth certificates, insurance policies and stuff like that? We are determined to get rid of all the junk we have accumulated over the years. Would love to hear suggestions on how other have done it. Once we sell the house we will be purchasing something in the neighborhood of a 47 foot Beneteau. Since we are both working for the next couple of years, we plan to live in a marina in SW Florida, before cutting the lines for good.

Thanks everyone for your secrets.

Steve

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: