Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-08-2015, 15:14   #16

Boat: Schionning GForce 17c
Re: Moved aboard last week

Congrats Sebastian. My husband and I are doing something similar in that we are building a Schionning GForce17C Catamaran that we are hoping to launch by Christmas this year. We started building in Oct 2012. Big project! We too are in the throes of selling up bits and pieces. Cant sell the house yet as that is where we are building our cat. Might see you out there one day! Have fun!
WildFireAus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2015, 13:34   #17

Boat: 1977 New Bombay Trading Co. Pilot 31'

Well, today was the big sale for sail day at our house. Luckily I was at work! LOL! Regardless, most all the large items in our house were sold including my 1953 Chevrolet and my 2002 Truck. Allthat is left will either be givent to friend and family or taken to Good Will. We still have a storage unit with winter clothes and some tools, etc but that will stay until we move further south. We are down to 2 cars now (1988 Bronco and a Pontiac G6) We will have to keep them as long as I am working my current job. It feels good to be shed of allthe Stuff! My wife said that even if sailing and living aboard didnt work out, she NEVER wanted to accumulate stuff again likethat. Now I am ready to accumulate some more solar panels, a wind generator, a watermaker, etc etc etc!!!! Oh and attached is a pic of our new seats for the dinette we had doen by a local guy in my old home town for a fraction of what the "marine"guys wanted. Same materials, same design....So if you are near Columbia MS and need some upholstery work done as well as canvas, check my guy out Walter at J-flame customs.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2165357_6_thumb.jpg
Views:	345
Size:	44.3 KB
ID:	108120  
SebastianB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2015, 08:38   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Quote:
Originally Posted by SebastianB View Post
......................... It feels good to be shed of all the Stuff! ....
It's good to know that this can be a lasting joy. We've lived aboard for many decades and still thrill with discarding a few things. This last week I cleaned and reorganized our aft cabin. I left some books, a 12VDC fan, two tool cases that were sized beyond their function, and an extra ice chest on the "trade" table at a marina laundry.
Old 02-09-2015, 17:18   #19

Boat: Ranger 33'

Do you need any help?
roygee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 06:28   #20

Boat: still looking for the right Tri

congrats... Hopefully I can make it in 2016.... already a boat in view and negotiating with the owner :-). Small vid of the 40 foot beauty: :-)

Wish you both a happy and safe sailing !
Skip JayR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2015, 13:43   #21

Boat: 1977 New Bombay Trading Co. Pilot 31'
Re: Moved aboard last week (update)

Well we have been onboard for a month or so now. We have really gotten into the liveaboard life quite nicely. I sleep better than I have in years. I try to do something constructive everyday either regular maintenance or some project. So far I ahve remodeled the galley area a bit and added a new stove top, Replaced an old holding plate and compressor/condensor unit for a new refridgeration unit. Have rewired some circuits. Added some cockpit LED lighting, changed out my small storm jib for a genoa. And various other little things. Also have sailed some! LOL! We are totally in love with sailing, the boat, and living aboard. The only concern we have is the long trek to the shower and bathroom facility when the weather gets cold... Be glad when we are able to move fromt he deep south to the tropical south! Upcoming projects include replacing our small davits with an arch/davit system, installing additional solar panels, splicing and installing new running rigging, rebedding the lifeline stanchions and other deck fittings, and refinishing the exterior teak. Alway ssomething to do.
SebastianB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-09-2015, 20:10   #22

Nice post. We're in the planning phases of finding and moving aboard. We've been talking about it for about 2 years now, gathering information and resources. We had a discussion the other day, me being retired from the Navy and telling the wife how it's not all dolphins and sunsets all of the time. We're looking forward to the "projects" on our floating home to pass the time together.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Unklebuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2015, 22:42   #23

Boat: Custom Catamaran

Congrats! Great to read it's all working out, esp. being offered work at the marina.

We've spent a few years living aboard / working on the boat and the one thing I'd suggest is to use the boat regularly. Even if it's only going out for a weekend each month, it'll keep you fresh and also break the pontoon monotony

n
ausnp84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2015, 07:29   #24

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54
Thumbs up Re: Moved aboard last week

Quote:
Originally Posted by ausnp84 View Post
Congrats! Great to read it's all working out, esp. being offered work at the marina.

We've spent a few years living aboard / working on the boat and the one thing I'd suggest is to use the boat regularly. Even if it's only going out for a weekend each month, it'll keep you fresh and also break the pontoon monotony

n
Great Advice! The more you use your vessel for what it was intended and not just a floating condo the more you will understand her systems and vagaries that all boats have. Much of the magic of living aboard is realizing the self sufficiency one attains from knowing their vessel inside out. I truly believe that when tshtf those who are living abroad and have the knowledge and wherewithall to sail and cruise will be the survivors. It isn't a prepper thing... it is just a set of skills and knowledge that will set those folks apart from the rest of us. Good Luck, Phil
Capt Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2015, 20:35   #25

Boat: Jeanneau 37
Moved aboard last week

My wife and I bought our first sailboat this July and I just wish we had done it earlier. We are both in our 60s and wish we were a little more flexible and had more stamina. If I could do it all over again I would have walked away from my land life ten years ago and spent the time living aboard a boat. But we plan to enjoy the time we have left! Good for you for going for it!

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum