Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-08-2009, 10:42   #1

Boat: Pearson Triton 28'6" S/V Alcyone
Send a message via Yahoo to TritonSailor
Motivation Trickling Away

Hello Everyone,

I bought a Pearson Triton #194. I am a recently retired from the military and alone. I figured I buy boat, fix boat, live on boat, and cruise to better sunsets. Five month's later I'm still on the hard, bottom is sanded, had started filling with pits and cracks with west system filler. But due to unforseen issues, my roll has been slowed and I'm spending more money on storage than I am fixing the boat. I still want the life on the boat, any advice or inspiration. Thanks everyone

Jeff
TritonSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2009, 11:07   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi
It's a problem for anyone who buys a project, just look at all the derelict boats on the hard. They weren't initially put there so they could deteriorate. You've got a relatively small boat so the task shouldn't be too daunting. The thing is to allot specific time each day to working on the boat and stick to it through thick and thin. Treat it like a job you are doing for a fictitious someone else. There is an end. You could reduce the other clutter in your life by moving aboard. Nothing like living on a boat on the hard to motivate you to get it in the water.

Keep it up, BTDT too many times.

Aloha
Peter O.
Pearson 35
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2009, 11:12   #3

Some ideas, having been there, more or less:
1. Take a break from the boat. Don't even look at it for at least a few weeks. 5 months is a lot of time to spend staring at unfinished work.
2. Get a medical exam because, a. you need to keep your health up, and b. there are many treatable medical problems whose main symptoms are low energy, fatigue, loss if interest in things. Thyroid problems, for instance. You are in a high-risk age group for that sort of thing.
3. Read books about whatever turned you on about your dream in the first place--get inspired.
4. Realize that the adjustment to retirement with or without the boat takes a lot of time and mental energy, whether you even realize it or not.
5. Get married. Nothing will make you want to disappear over the horizon like that will.
Good luck.
John V.
JohnV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2009, 12:02   #4

Boat: Columbia 8.7m, Rol'n Rose
Hi,

I've had the same problem sometimes. It seems at times like i'm not making any progress, but thats usually because I have the bad habit of starting on something new before I've completely finished the old task. Anyhow, with that problem under control I look for motivation from books about other peoples past experiences. One book I have just finished was Sailing to the Reefs by B. Moitessier. The thing I like most is that he shares both his triumphs and tribulations with complete honestly, even if some of his troubles are self inflicted. Perhaps another way to keep motivated is to join a club so that you can do some sailing (or pick up a small boat on the cheap). Once I got my boat sailing, I often found myself passing on nice sailing days to work on the boat. As much as I like to sail, I now find the fix up part equally fun. I think the most important thing is to have balance.
Hank
Hankthelank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2009, 12:12   #5

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha Jeff,
Hang in there buddy. Lots of military retirees here on the forum and we all have our ups and downs. I get motivated, work like heck a couple weeks then find another project but I always keep coming back to the boat.
I disagree about getting married unless your new wife is really into sailing. Nothing will separate you from your boat faster than a new wife who has no interest in it.
So where are you?
The Triton is a fine boat and a good project, a definite world cruiser once in the water again. Once finished with the maintenance issues you'll be doing the sailing part which is definitely worth the effort.
regards,
Old 15-08-2009, 14:55   #6

Boat: "Piscator"
Palm trees and beaches

We bought inexpensive posters of palm trees and beaches and put them up on the walls of the shop. We will mix up some boat drinks or grab a beer and just sit in the cockpit daydreaming about some exotic anchorage we hope to get to. We also play the "where will we be a year from now" game a lot. A year from today, for example, might find us in Nova Scotia or Newfoundland.

Also notice I said "we". It is important to have support; doesn't have to be a wife, but at least have someone to talk to who shares your enthusiasm for living on the boat and maybe is going through the same kind of refit you are. I am lucky to have three or four people that I talk to often enough that I stay enthused.

Finally, if you haven't spent time living on a small sailboat in the tropics, go try it out on a friend's boat or a charter. You will either return supercharged to finish the boat by next winter (most likely outcome), or you will return and put a "for sale" sign on it (we hope not).
Old 15-08-2009, 14:59   #7
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
sail on someone elses boat for a season then go back and finish yours...LOL--works for me LOL
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2009, 15:17   #8

Without knowing your unforseen issues it's hard to recommend. I have been there, overwhelmed by what I've taken on. If you're healty enough, The only way out of it is to pull yourself up and go down there and get 'er done. Dont be too picky... it's just a boat. If the bottom needs those spots you filled smoothed, get a good face shield and 4" grinder and overalls. go down there one day and just make a mess and get it done. Shower all that fiberglass dust off and you'll feel better. The bottom doesnt need to be anywhere near perfect. Slap some Bottom paint on there good and thick and get it in the water. You'll feel a lot better working on other things down at the marina, with the smell of the water, sound of the birds etc etc., Trying to make a boat too good can be overwhelming for sure. You need to get the basic boat done so you can get out on the water, then it will all seem worth it!! Good Luck! You can do it, that's a small boat...
Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2009, 15:24   #9

Boat: a sailing boat
Hi,

Do not go nuts with the repairs then. A boat is a boat is a boat is a boat ...

Paint her, rig her, sail her. There are plenty of amazing moments when cruising. And if you find you did not make the repairs to the standard you like - you can always lift her up in a remote romantic destination and continue repairing drinking your Martinis.

Go for it, it is worth it.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2009, 15:30   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43
No matter how small...

I find that the best way to keep me rolling is to do some small task.

Sometimes I go to the boat, do whatever, sit and stare at it all, then go home.

Othertimes it seems to trigger some sort of compulsion - I get started and just can't stop until I so tired it's dangerous to continue.

The important perspective for me is to focus that this is my lifestyle, the most important activity in my life right now, and I've allocated enough time to do the job.

There are lots of perfectionists in this world, and a few of them are restoring boats. For me, if it's functional, durable, strong and comfortable that's good enough.
Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2009, 15:33   #11

Thank you for the responses. I will never ever marry again, wife left before I finished 19 months in Iraq...After 10 years of marriage...No more. I am located in Connecticut, right on the ct river. Maybe to help with the motivation, you could provide some input as to where I could live on my boat in a more temperate location. A place that isn't priced too high, so I can save money to bring the boat up to cruising par.

thanks jeff
Old 15-08-2009, 15:36   #12
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by TritonSailor View Post
Thank you for the responses. I will never ever marry again, wife left before I finished 19 months in Iraq...After 10 years of marriage...No more. I am located in Connecticut, right on the ct river. Maybe to help with the motivation, you could provide some input as to where I could live on my boat in a more temperate location. A place that isn't priced too high, so I can save money to bring the boat up to cruising par.

thanks jeff
culebra is an awesome place with blue turquoise water, low food prices, purrty gurlzz and awesome beaches.....close to st thomas and st john and rest of usvi and bvi......
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2009, 16:26   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
There is always the option of selling the boat "as is" and buying a boat that is ready to sail right now. That might be better for the mental health.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2009, 16:32   #14

No Dave, that isn't an option. I specifically picked out the Triton based on James Baldwin's Atom Voyages. If I were to find a Triton ready to go, it would be a boat I couldn't afford. I am on a fixed income now. I really can't work consistently anymore because of injuries I sustained. So the boat I have is the boat I have to work with.
Old 15-08-2009, 18:18   #15

Boat: McGregor venture 15 "IMP"
Motivation for me comes in many forms. Mostly it just takes a few minutes talking to someone who is living the dream for me to remember mine. It sounds like you are so close to making your escape, don't give up now!
scook1 is offline   Reply With Quote