Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 03-02-2013, 13:58   #46

Good weather gear">foul weather gear is huge, my girl spends 95% of her time sailing in her survival suit. Major difference in her happiness level.

Old 03-02-2013, 14:21   #47

Boat: Nonsuch 30U #342 Tim Cat
Re: Most Wife Friendly Weekend Sailboat?

Yet another suggestion of a Nonsuch 30 as max. heal is 15 degrees and then they slow down. Reef early and even heavy weather is comfortable and dry.
Being divorced, I day-sail with friends, family and
co-workers that many times have a nap on deck as the sailing can be so soothing. They also appreciate the sensible heal on the boat. All they bring is lunch and what a perfect afternoon sail on Lake Ontario.
Nonsuches are described as a gentleman's cruiser that is a pretty good description.
Resale values are not cheap but a solid comfortable boat will cost a bit more.
I hope to find a full-time crew who shares my love of sailing some day.

Old 03-02-2013, 14:38   #48
cruiser

Boat: O'day 32 CC Ketch

Its very possible she's being supportive because she thought it wasnt going to happen. Do you really just wanna daysail or are you hopeing she'll see the light and embrace the lifestyle? Be prepared for her to go out 3 times and be done with it. If you have round the world cruising books it seems your goals and lust for some real adventure may be out of step with hers. To some people growing old in a house with lots of stuff is the only way, to her it would be like living in a VW bus. If you want this, 10 years from now you could be resetful of how thing turned out.
Old 03-02-2013, 15:09   #49

Boat: 31' homebuilt Michalak-designed Cormorant "Sea Fever"

justwannadoit -- start off real easy, nice and slow. If you get a trailer sailer head out to Wellfleet on Cape Cod. Great launch ramp with a little seafood shack right there. Put the boat in the water, sail about 1 mile over to Great Island. Anchor off shore or beach it if that's an option. Walk and hike on Great Island all afternoon. Sleep a few dozen yards offshore with gentle waves lapping at the hull.

Next day sail some more in the large Outer Harbor and end up about 1/2 mile father along at Jeremy Point. Play on the beach all day, watch the seals catch fish offshore. Sleep near shore as gentle waves lap at the hull.

Think of it as a movable beach house. Bigger journeys can all happen later. First explore the incredible beauty of the places a boat can take you that the land-bound, car-bound tourists will never go, even though they're just a couple of miles away.

After enough weekends or weeks like this, you can start to venture out to father destinations, and by then, with luck, your wife will want to do it.

The wonders accessible by boat are beyond words. And you don't need to sail around the world to see them.
Old 03-02-2013, 17:01   #50

Boat: Nonsuch 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjones1349 View Post
Resale values are not cheap but a solid comfortable boat will cost a bit more.

I hope to find a full-time crew who shares my love of sailing some day.
True, but there are few boats that you can still sell for what you paid for it 10 years ago!

As for finding, or I'm my case keeping, full-time crew, I think we can all learn from Ann. Guys should pin a copy of her advice to the bulkhead and recite it daily!
Old 03-02-2013, 17:41   #51

Boat: Hunter 2003 356 - Persistence

I started with a Hunter 260 in 1998. My wife tolerated sailing on Kentucky Lake, but it was hot, uncomfortable and she didn't enjoy it much for the first five years. We discussed what she would like to have in a boat and in 2003 we bought a new Hunter 356 fully equipped with a generator, dish network with KVH tracking antenna, full enclosure, electric head, shower, microwave, range, refrigerator and freezer. I got radar, sonar, chart plotter, electric windlass, in mast furling, etc. we spend 75 days a year on our boat and when we leave the dock the generator is running and the air conditioning and or heat is keeping the salon 72 degrees. She is happy, reads her Kindle and occasionally comes up into the cockpit. I enjoy sailing. Without the amenities, she wouldn't come along and I wouldn't get near as much sailing in. Sailing does not have to be like camping. If she doesn't like to camp, she won't like a sailboat that is lacking in amenities. If she can be comfortable, then you get to enjoy the sport. Make sure she is happy and you will be also.
Old 03-02-2013, 18:46   #52

Boat: Catalina 310
The advice I would give is to get your wife to meet some boat people. She will get a chance to talk to other women that like being on the water and will be able to ask many questions that will hopefully lessen her fears. So try to find some friends at the local marina. Go down there and talk to some of the people you meet and tell that about your situation.

Another option is that there is a women only sailing program in Marblehead every June.

Good luck and fair winds
Old 03-02-2013, 21:55   #53

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Thanks for the kind words, Sabercat.

"There is a women only sailing program in Marblehead every June." YES! I was just talking to an acquaintance of ours, and suggested to him that he involve his good lady (whom heeling scares) in the local women's sailing program. I think, especially for women who have worked outside the home before coming to sailing, learning a basic skill set gives her confidence, her innate competitiveness will be enhanced (a good deal 'cause she'll want to be better crew than the other wives), and she'll learn to cope with heeling, even getting dumped in the water. Surviving such incidents will allow her to appreciate her husband's little keel boat. The method I suggested for getting this to happen was to offer her a quid pro quo: that he do something she REALLY wants him to do in exchange for her doing the 6 week course.

It's really hard to make serious specific recommendations when we know nothing about the Significant Other, here. She's going to be her own person--that's all we know.

One of Jim's boats before I met him was a Catalina 22. He and his family weekended on it. And it WAS a bit like camping, they used a Coleman stove in the cockpit. But they had a good time. Eventually sailed it from Pt. Townsend, WA to Victoria, B.C. and beyond. Later, he bought a Yankee 30, and that was the boat we sailed to Hawaii and back to San Francisco in. So, I don't think the first boat has to be big, necessarily. It depends on the people.

Ann Cate, asv Insatiable II, back in the water at last!!
Old 03-02-2013, 22:37   #54

Lots of good advice here, but I think the key is to SLOW down.

It sounds like you might not have much experience yourself, and the idea of using the Boston Sailing Clubs is excellent.

Don't lock yourself in to something that won't live up to the expectations YOU have too. (My first boat was a West Wight Potter 15, and IMHO -- trailer sailing sucks!). Setting up a sailboat at the ramp for a very busy 30 minutes and taking it down at the end of a hot humid summer day when you're sun-stroked, dripping sweat with sunblock stinging your eyes is not what the dealers tell you about.

TAKE LESSONS WITH HER! Start with the Power Squadrons boater-ed safety course which teaches navigation, right-of-way and other useful info. It's a great course. Even if you're experienced, take the course with her. Take her out for lunch/dinner after the classes and discuss what you learned. Get some on-the-water sailing instruction and make learning an activity you share together. You might meet other couples too with common interests, and the social aspects will add to the overall experience if that happens.

Most importantly, when you do buy -- make it HER boat too.

PS -- one more tip: Scrap your plans for Maine. A sailboat is not a good method of transportation in this modern era where vacations are restricted by the calendar. If you're on a schedule, don't have a destination in mind (of it you do, keep it flexible, or trailer your boat there). Let the weather conditions dictate your destination and timing, and when the calendar allows it, remember that the vacation is wherever you are (not someplace else). Enjoy the experience.
Old 04-02-2013, 00:39   #55

There is nothing hard or tedious to trailer a sailboat.
I had a Catalina 22 and pulled it with a 1984 Camaro.
I could have it in the water and sailing in an hour by myself. When I pulled back to the ramp, I could have the mast down and the baot on the trailer in under an hour.

Getting the mast up was no harder than raising the sails was...
Old 04-02-2013, 02:40   #56

Morning everyone:
I can't thank you all enough for the wonderful advice. I am in touch with the local powerboat squadron sailors and I will be taking the piloting course beginning in May. I know from my query that I seem overanxious and I apologize for that, but I don't think that is the case. My immediate plans are to tune up my day sailor and modify it to be user friendly to me and the wife (Cherry wood boarding ladder for the stern so we can swim off her anywhere). Then when the warmer weather comes I am planning to take lake day sails with my wife and a bottle of wine and some cheese and bread. I may venture out along the inland waters of Cape Cod exactly as one of you wonderful people suggested in such great detail(thank you very much). I do have dreams and I have proven in the past that I have the where with all to make them happen. Please don't think I am boasting because I know I can be easily humbled and I have been. If I progress to the point of sailing to York Beach Maine it will not be this year, not be before I know the waters much better and know how to navigate and have spoken to people who have successfully done similar sails and I have some experience sailing on the coast and I will allow much more than the anticipated time needed. I am at a point in my life where I have this kind of flexibility. I am excited yes, but also safety conscious, a thorough planner and committed. My goals are three fold; be as safe as possible, have fun and come home alive. And I would Love if my beautiful wife and soul mate would accompany me some of the time. Thank you all again for taking the time to respond and please continue as more sage advice comes to mind. I am in your debt!
Kent
Old 04-02-2013, 04:38   #57

Boat: 31' homebuilt Michalak-designed Cormorant "Sea Fever"

Good luck, Kent! And one more little bit of unsolicited advice. . . . no need to sail to Maine. But you can trailer to Portland in about 4 hours, and then all of Casco Bay is before you. You could spend an entire summer exploring that area and never be bored.
Old 04-02-2013, 07:20   #58

Boat: WTB Lagoon or Leopard 38'-40'
Re: Most wife friendly weekend sailboat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
I think "roomiest" would be a relative term....

If the idea is to also simply get her comfortable with boats (and for her to associate boats with a pleasant experiance) then unless she is already used to living in small places (camping?) with a minimal of mod cons then I wouldn't start with keeping her onboard for the weekend on a small boat! Overnight accomadation ashore may well be the best investment you ever make! and then a charter on a 40' Beneteau in the Carribean!
I agree - if the goal is to show here a pleasant liveaboard experience, then you will be taking two steps back on a weekender. Boating and liveaboard are two different exercises with different inputs and outputs. You don't want to put the idea into her head that cruising is all about crowding into a tiny, poorly lit space with bad interior design and poor ventilation.

A weekender might be a great boat for you for other reasons, but I wouldn't use it as in introduction to full-time cruising.

Possible alternatives? A nice, comfortable power boat, or an attractive, pleasant camping trailer or motorhome -- something designed for mobile living. Sailing boats are costly, slow moving, and somewhat intense for newbies.
Old 04-02-2013, 08:03   #59
Armchair Bucketeer

Re: Most wife friendly weekend sailboat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtM View Post
Possible alternatives? A nice, comfortable power boat, or an attractive, pleasant camping trailer or motorhome -- something designed for mobile living. Sailing boats are costly, slow moving, and somewhat intense for newbies.
Lock her in a closet for the weekend, and occassionally throw a bucket of water over her......and see how you get on .
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 12:14   #60

Boat: Catalina 30
Just take he boat shopping on a nice day. Look at a 22, 25, 27,30, 36 , 40. Both new ($$$) and used. If she likes to shop you may be able to hook her in. If she is unwilling to spend the time looking at them with you I suggest a Carnival cruise.

Tags
sailboat

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: