Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-09-2016, 10:53   #136

Re: Most frequent lie encountered while cruising

Hilarious thread ! (Not a lie)

Sent from my LG-K350 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
arbanais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2016, 21:59   #137

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkindredpdx View Post
... My Ex-wife had an equation where she doubled my estimate and added a half hour! Came in amazingly close.
Back when I was writing computer programs for a living I used to tell new programmers to come up with their best estimate of how long a project would take then double it and change to the next unit of time. That meant that a two hour project would take four days and a one week project would take two months. I was (mostly) joking but it was often disturbingly accurate.

Now, to get back on topic: Weekend guests on a small boat - "I don't snore".
Be Free is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2016, 22:39   #138

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooCoys View Post
I don't know about other marinas, or other harbor patrol staff, but I can tell you that I personally DO walk every dock in our marina at LEAST once a shift.

When walking the docks I check waterlines first to make sure a boat isn't taking on water, then I check cleats and docklines, and then I check shore power and water connections.

I also listen for any alarms going off inside boats (found two already), or anything that looks like its been tampered with. And at the beginning or end of every dock, I check the bathrooms to make sure that all lights are working, all toilets are clean and flushed, the water is running, and the hand dryers work.

Since this is a thread about lies, I assume your whole post was a crock. 😁

A house is but a boat so poorly built and so firmly run aground you would never try to refloat it.
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2016, 01:20   #139

Boat: Cheoy Lee Offshore 38

Quote:
And at the beginning or end of every dock, I check the bathrooms to make sure that all lights are working, all toilets are clean and flushed, the water is running, and the hand dryers work.
Toocoys...you didn't mention TP. I assume you tell clients "yes, we have bidets"
Old 14-11-2016, 04:39   #140

Boat: Dolphin 17C, planning stage for Marples DC3

Sidebar on motion sickness ...
If I understand correctly, inner ear balance mechanism is one of the first affected by common natural poisons. So if what it tells the brain is different from what other systems say, especially vision, brain says "uh oh, poison, empty stomach now". Probably also true if balance is overwhelmed at all.

It is reliable information; I saw it on an internet forum.
Skeezix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2016, 06:21   #141

Boat: Contest 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Ten minutes later, I find it in my pocket, but not until after I get up and scratch around and find the other one I have, usually a tool.
That or a beer
teddythetwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2016, 08:30   #142

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skeezix View Post
Sidebar on motion sickness ...
If I understand correctly, inner ear balance mechanism is one of the first affected by common natural poisons. So if what it tells the brain is different from what other systems say, especially vision, brain says "uh oh, poison, empty stomach now". Probably also true if balance is overwhelmed at all.

It is reliable information; I saw it on an internet forum.
Food poisoning seldom affects balance, even the deadly kind. Chemical poisons may affect the central nervous system which can cause the brain to misprocess a lot of incoming sensory experiences(common with popular street drugs). So all depends on the poison. If the poison is bacterial or viral, then muscle spasms usually get one to heave up the offending item. Seasickness is an ear issue, not a tummy issue per se; although the tummy seems to want to make its displeasure felt.
reed1v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2016, 08:36   #143

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed1v View Post
Food poisoning seldom affects balance, even the deadly kind. Chemical poisons may affect the central nervous system which can cause the brain to misprocess a lot of incoming sensory experiences(common with popular street drugs). So all depends on the poison. If the poison is bacterial or viral, then muscle spasms usually get one to heave up the offending item. Seasickness is an ear issue, not a tummy issue per se; although the tummy seems to want to make its displeasure felt.
I've had my share of food poisoning and basically loss of balance is almost always that awkward time when I'm alternating between making sacrifices to the porcelain God via various ways and trying not to pass out.
Old 14-11-2016, 08:54   #144

Location: Cayuga Lake NY - or on the boat somewhere south of there
Boat: Caliber 40

That guy lying about the wifi isnt really lying. HE is sitting in the marina office where the signal originates. YOU will be sitting in your boat out on the docks. It is no wonder that HE gets a decent signal and YOU dont.
sck5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2016, 04:34   #145
CLOD

Boat: none

The last 2 months of cruising to me the biggest lie is whenever the cruising guidebook says how great a place is when in fact there isn't anything worth doing there.

The wifi lie is a confusing one. Yes they have wifi, it just has has a crappy internet connection.

Tags
cruising, enc