Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-07-2009, 11:17   #1

Boat: 440 Lagoon
Thumbs down More Georgia Law

I have been reading up on the liveaboard law in GA and it just sounds nuts to me. Without going into great depth because it has been discussed here already I would like to write a letter to Governor Perdue just to see what type of answer a person would get. The thing is, as I read your post 90% of you seem to have the gift of writing that I just do not. I know what I want to ask it just doesn’t seem to flow.

1. If I am paying a Marina, I am safely docked, pumping out, paying taxes, what is the issue?

2. 30 days a year?? Technically I was doing that on the little powerboat I have now. A 30 day law not only discourages liveaboards but is an unreasonable request by anyone to make. I could invest …$20,000 - $500,000 in a boat with 3-4 bedrooms, A/C, 2-4 Bathrooms….. and I cannot live on it for more than 30 days a year?? Insane!!! That law deprives me of doing something with my family that I consider very important. If I want to go stay on my boat every weekend I do not believe this should be breaking the law!!

3. I fully understand where the law was intended to go but believed it missed the target. I do not believe anyone in their right mind would want to deprive a coastal family of a lawful boating life.

4. I believe the law could be re written in a manner that states I have to be in a Marina and not anchored out for more than say 60 days in a calendar year. Or something to that affect.
It is a work in progress but feel free to polish. More just looking to see the response, but amazed this has not been challenged.

georgia.gov - Contact Governor Perdue
VERTIGO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2009, 11:44   #2

Boat: 1974 Sabre 28 Mk I - Icefire
You/re making a losing argument because you're accepting the law's premise to begin with.

If you believe you should be able to live on your own boat, harming no one else, maintaining it, and that it's not Big Brother's business if you do so, then say it!

Going all wishy-washy and begging for an extra 30 days is just silly, because it (like the existing 30) is arbitrary and subject to whimsical change. Beyond that you're basically abdicating the right that you seem to believe you have before you're even tried to fight for it.

Some legislation in this area can be sensible: you don't want derelict or unsafe vessels clogging up the waterways of the state. But methinks there are ways to establish and enforce safety and cleanliness standards without harming the majority of people who DO properly maintain their vessels.

Point is, be bold! Compromise at the beginning is a losing strategy.

Just my $.02
Alexei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2009, 12:02   #3

I believe that as well but also think that it might be worth pointing out maybe what was "intended" by the law may be an easier battle. Do not see it as begging for another 30 days but just saying to remove the law really does not seem to go anywhere. To be honest I do see and understand the intent but do not agree with the overall generalization of ALL liveaboards and a simple solution would be to set forth a standard for liveaboards verses removing them completely.
Old 13-07-2009, 13:14   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by VERTIGO View Post
I have been reading up on the liveaboard law in GA and it just sounds nuts to me. Without going into great depth because it has been discussed here already I would like to write a letter to Governor Perdue just to see what type of answer a person would get. The thing is, as I read your post 90% of you seem to have the gift of writing that I just do not. I know what I want to ask it just doesn’t seem to flow.

1. If I am paying a Marina, I am safely docked, pumping out, paying taxes, what is the issue?

georgia.gov - Contact Governor Perdue
Your first query seems to flow, and resound with reason, to me.

As the previous replys imply, don't get bogged down in details; just address the big principles.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2009, 13:30   #5

Boat: No Boat right now :-(
Send a message via ICQ to Endojoe Send a message via AIM to Endojoe Send a message via MSN to Endojoe Send a message via Yahoo to Endojoe Send a message via Skype™ to Endojoe
I 2nd Alexei

The reason there's a 30 day law at all is simply because one group of people decided they had the right to tell another group of people where and how they're are allowed to live. No one should have that right. Would you like it if they told you that you were allowed to live on your boat 362 days out of the year, with the exceptions being Christmas and Thanksgiving and New Years? Telling me I'm not allowed to spend 335 days out of the year on property I legally own is no different that telling me I'm not allowed to spend 3 days out of the year on property I legally own... IMHO.
Endojoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2009, 13:46   #6

Again I also agree with all this and find it hard to believe that this was the intent of what was written.
I believe this was a law written by a person nowhere close to the water and did not understand the entirety of what was put forth. I think that if you asked 99% of the people to read this they would not understand it (non-boaters), many would probably ask what a liveaboard is. So I would think to asked more that it be changed in wording to accomplish the intent would be much easier a battle. Just because I own a RV does not mean I can park anywhere and drive anyway I please. That is more my point, most of what I read on this is asking to have it removed completely, I just don’t see that happening.
Old 13-07-2009, 14:21   #7

Boat: Steel trawler 63' Eileen Farrell
It might be interesting to revisit the saga of anchored out vessels and house boats in Richardson Bay just offshore of Sausalito Ca. in the 70's. The federal, state, county and city governments can and do regulate both housing and boating and do so legally. Indeed, it is one of governments primary functions. It was a great relief to the residents of the bay area and the boating community when that mess got cleaned up. Just because you fancy yourself a free spirit and own a boat doesn't give you the right to go and do as you please on a planet we all share.
lorenzo b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2009, 14:30   #8

You know, laws like this used to REALLY make me angry and get me all bent out of shape. The Government is always intruding into my life, telling us how to live our lives, dictating all sorts of absurd baloney and in general displaying a unique combination of utter incompetence and lust for power.

But I have let that go. How? By ignoring the crap.

I could care less if GA passes the law it has (and I live in GA). I choose to ignore such laws. IF I want to live on my boat, I will do so. If some GA official gives me some ticket, I will throw it in the trash. Should anything further come of it... I will hoist the anchor and leave. Should the Govt. push me too far.... I will return fire.

Seriously.... enough is enough. Draw your own line. Mine is drawn.

Terry
Tspringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2009, 14:45   #9

My thing is I am wanting to buy a boat early and do the liveaboard thing for a few years before cutting the ties. I have a 50/50 chance of living in Savannah or in VA. I called a couple marinas, and over the phone anyway, do not allow liveboards. I just do not see where this should be criminal activity. I want to do it right and responsible. I would prefer Savannah, I love the weather and boating there. I more started this thread to come up with a good solid foundation aproach and not start the tea party.
Old 13-07-2009, 14:47   #10

Boat: No Boat right now :-(
Send a message via ICQ to Endojoe Send a message via AIM to Endojoe Send a message via MSN to Endojoe Send a message via Yahoo to Endojoe Send a message via Skype™ to Endojoe
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorenzo b View Post
The federal, state, county and city governments can and do regulate both housing and boating and do so legally. Indeed, it is one of governments primary functions.
Ummm.... if you actually believe that is a primary function of the Federal Government, perhaps you should take a moment to review the U.S. Constitution.

Tspringer
Endojoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2009, 14:49   #11

Boat: Rainbow 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorenzo b View Post
Just because you fancy yourself a free spirit and own a boat doesn't give you the right to go and do as you please on a planet we all share.
And just because a few bad actors make a mess of things, doesn't give the State the power to regulate a legitimate lifestyle out of existence entirely. One of the things that draws me to the cruising lifestyle is the live-and-let-live attitude shared by so many of its practicioners. It's a shame that this attitude is so rare among busybodies and the legislators they elect.

Your points about existing problems are already addressed by existing regulations regarding pollution, seaworthiness, etc. This GA monstrosity is a terrific example of government overreach, and should be a troubling reminder that minority populations need protection from the government every bit as much as they need protection by the government.

Lawmakers, if they ever see the error of their ways in this matter, will claim ignorance. Evidently, ignorance of the law is no excuse if you're a common citizen, but it's almost expected when you're writing the law in the first place.
Red Mantis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2009, 15:08   #12

Boat: Beneteau 32.5
I mostly agree with what Gord said.

Perhaps start by reminding him (Gouvenor, not Gord) we live in a country where people are free and those feedoms should only be restricted for a good reason.

It seems to me if you are slipped in a marina that your are paying for, appropriately disposing of sewage and waste, it's hard to come up with a good argument as to why your freedoms should be restricted.

When people want to restrict us, we should keep the burden on them to show the need for such restrictions, not allow them to place the burden on us as to why we shouldn't be restricted.
nautical62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2009, 15:27   #13

This has been a bit of an eye opener, I think everyone on here is
fairly passionate about the “cruiser lifestyle” however I do not really see where it should come down to a zero regulation. If it were my State, which it happens to be, I don’t mind a bit of regulation. There sure seems to be a difference in opinion on this that I really did not expect. This might be the problem that is faced in trying to get anything changed , I mean we can’t even seem to agree here. For me, I do not think it would be unreasonable to require your boat be functional. Also if you do not have a slip in a marina, you have say 90 days or whatever, if you live here year round you must have a slip for at least 9 months out of the year as a liveaboard. Sad to say but without some type of regulation you will have derelicts that unfortunately have already ruined things for 98% of us.
Old 13-07-2009, 15:27   #14

Boat: Steel trawler 63' Eileen Farrell
liveaboards

The reason many communities restrict liveaboards is because the majority of residents view people living in marinas as just one step above the itinerant homeless. People paying $3000 a month mortgages with manicured lawns and three kids playing on the street don't want to live next to a marina full of free living hobos, or what they perceive as free living hobos. Marinas are for their yachts and sailboats to be used on weekends. Waterfront communities tend to be especially affluent and sensitive to their property values. This conflict will surely get more intense as millions of us retire and come to embrace the cruising and boating life. You can assume we will not always be welcome.
Free living itinerant hobos have always understood the wisdom of being a rolling stone. Best not to stay to long.
lorenzo b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2009, 15:40   #15

Boat: Privilege 37
Doesn't the same rational apply to Mobile homes? So, by any reasonable application of logic there should be a thirty day restriction on living in a mobile home, park or otherwise?
Strygaldwir is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
georgia