Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-04-2013, 06:54   #31
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Re: More Advice for the Perfect Boat Please

not all boats are good for all folks.
you have to fit the boat as much as the boat has to fit you.
you cannot get your perfect boat by asking a forum what to get. you may hate it and be unable to sell for something more suitable for you.

sail everything--make new friends and sail with them...know what you want and what compromises you will have to make for that which you most want.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 17:43   #32

Boat: Valiant 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
Mind you I've seen about 2 in the whole of Europe , yet we have a lot of ocean cruisers hereabouts . That design is very NA in orientation. The French are prolific ocean sailors , as are the Kiwis , they seem to prefer faster modern designs for their typical cruise in " bluewater". It demonstrates that a lot of it has nothing to do with inate characteristics but personal preference

Ps. I would suggest posters that eulogising your own boat isn't really useful. I mean how many owners do you meet that say , " yeah I have an "X" , its crap. "
Dave

Dave:
The Valiant 40 was sailed in the first BOC challenge (1982-83).... before the race became over-run by sponsor money with racers sailing boats the average sailor could never get close to. It was "Fantasy" and sailed by Dan Byrne (a retired newspaper guy).
Mark Schrader sailed a Valiant 47 "Lone Star" in the 86-87 BOC and was the only boat that did not have to stop for repairs.
'Blue Water Sailing' (a NA sailing rag) did a great write-up of the boat (pros & cons) in October 97. "Cruising World" featured an article by Mark Schrader himself in August 2002. Lots of other sailing rags have also done so over the years (probably all NA based).
The comment you make about NOT eulogizing one's own boat does not make sense: this is what we know. How else do we make knowledgeable posts except to base them on our own experiences?
There are lots of great boats out there. My opinion is: if you cannot afford to get out and enjoy it because the cost of running the boat is too high... what is the point?
The Valiant has been great for us because it is the right size, the cost has been manageable and she sails like a dream. We are only forced to work when the money runs out and that has not happened to often in the last 24 years.
A chap here in NZ recently bought a 70's era Valiant 40 for $25,000.00 NZD (about $16,000 Euro). It needs some work but he'll be off sailing and enjoying a great boat for not very much moola after he fixes her up. Right now there is another 70's era Valiant for sale in Bayswater. I think the guy will take 60K NZD....
Dev0n60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 18:13   #33

Boat: Seawind 1000xl

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
not all boats are good for all folks.
you have to fit the boat as much as the boat has to fit you.
you cannot get your perfect boat by asking a forum what to get. you may hate it and be unable to sell for something more suitable for you.

sail everything--make new friends and sail with them...know what you want and what compromises you will have to make for that which you most want.
This is great advice. Just because someone else likes a boat does not mean you will.
tomfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2013, 08:30   #34

Bob Perry lives here in the PNW area and has designed some great boats. I use to thing bigger was better and lived aboard a Formosa 51 for six years. I even raced her. Just my wife and I. She became to much boat to handle and once getting out and putting sails up became to much work we sold her. We bought a Perry boat called an Islander Freeport. Compact and easy to single hand , tons of storage space for living aboard and sailed with a lot more performance than a Formosa. We swallowed the anchor a few months ago and bought a house. I still long to sail but enjoy tending the garden now. We still have the freeport but are in the process of switching to a land yacht. A Vanagon Westfalia powered by a Subaru 2.5 . If you are interested in Photos of what a cosumate Live Aboard is You might find an Islander Freeport on Craigs List in the Seattle area. The owner has a photo file with several hundred pictures he will share.
Jack_Tar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2013, 11:08   #35

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

Personal preference is the key in this thread. I personally like Bristol Channel Cutters but they are not a boat for everyone. West Sail 32 are great boats for off shore and can survive nearly anything.
Old 13-04-2013, 12:06   #36

Check out the early Amel Santorin and Mango's great boats for under $100k USD.

And fantastic aft cabin with center cockpit config.

Just a biased opinion from a Amel owner :P
Old 14-04-2013, 17:22   #37
Sponsoring Vendor

Not advice really as I agree with the sentiment of the thread that people need to make up their own mind. There is a boat called the Wylo out there but to own one you had to self build. It has been overwintered in Antarticia and Greenland. There are around 40 of them out there cruising the oceans. It is a 35.5 ft steel gaff rigged cutter. It has just been put into production by a company called Voyaging Yachts Welcome to Voyaging Yachts in Cowes on the Isle of Wight. It is worth a look.
Willie@VoyagingYachts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2013, 11:18   #38

http://share.shutterfly.com/action/welcome?sid=8AaNWbdu0Zs2qZ
Jack Tar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2013, 14:11   #39

Boat: Blackwatch 19 gaff rig cat

Here is the perfect boat! Then there were three - a set on Flickr
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3337.jpg