Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 06-01-2013, 16:12   #1

Boat: Bruce Roberts 434
Send a message via Skype™ to capttman
Moorings in the keys

Making a list of the best long term moorings in the keys from byscayne to key west... Cost ease of provisions pump out all should be taken into consideration.. Let me know your best spots include lat and long and reason it's great

"When the bow be in the trees we'll be running out of seas"
capttman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2013, 16:20   #2

Re: Moorings in the keys

There aren't many. There are the Dinner Key moorings near Miami, Marathon in Boot Key Harbor, and Key West. I would rate Marathon as the best place to provision and get pump out in the Keys themselves. Big grocery store and other shopping is within reasonable walking distance of the dinghy dock that goes with the moorings.

Old 06-01-2013, 16:37   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kettlewell View Post
There aren't many. There are the Dinner Key moorings near Miami, Marathon in Boot Key Harbor, and Key West. I would rate Marathon as the best place to provision and get pump out in the Keys themselves. Big grocery store and other shopping is within reasonable walking distance of the dinghy dock that goes with the moorings.
Got to be some others... Marathon you can't leave your boat alone.. Dinner key is awesome spot

Old 06-01-2013, 16:51   #4

There are some moorings in No Name Harbor on Key Biscayne, but I don't know of any others than the ones I listed. No Name is not convenient to shopping, but is OK for a short-term stay. Lots of places to anchor in the Keys, if that's what you're looking for. There are also some moorings for day use on some of the reefs.
Old 06-01-2013, 19:53   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kettlewell View Post
There are some moorings in No Name Harbor on Key Biscayne, but I don't know of any others than the ones I listed. No Name is not convenient to shopping, but is OK for a short-term stay. Lots of places to anchor in the Keys, if that's what you're looking for. There are also some moorings for day use on some of the reefs.
Can you name a few of those too? No to derail the thread from the OP, but those would be helpful as well I would think. At least they would be to me LOL.......
Old 06-01-2013, 20:04   #6

Boat: FP Belize, 43' - Dot Dun

Check ActiveCaptain.com and CruisersNet.net. Both are an easy to search collection of crowd sourced information.
Old 06-01-2013, 21:23   #7
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Endeavour 42CC
Quote:
Originally Posted by capttman View Post

Got to be some others... Marathon you can't leave your boat alone.. Dinner key is awesome spot
Can't leave for how long? We did an overnight to Key West, leaving the boat on a mooring in Boot Key and didn't feel uncomfortable doing it. Many others left the boat for multiple days to fly home, etc.

But it is a LONG walk to the grocery store, about 1.5 miles. That's a long way when hauling stuff back. Bikes were VERY handy there.
Old 07-01-2013, 07:54   #8

There are many anchorages. Rodriquez key, boca chica, no name harbor, pumpkin key, key west has three good ones , travernier, dinner key, come to the top of my head many many more..

Old 07-01-2013, 11:02   #9

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Quote:
Originally Posted by capttman View Post
There are many anchorages. Rodriquez key, boca chica, no name harbor, pumpkin key, key west has three good ones , travernier, dinner key, come to the top of my head many many more..
This begins a very good list, but notice that Rodriquez & Travernier are the only two on the list that are on the "Oceanside". We also tuck into Newfound Harbor on the "Oceanside" or cut to the "Bayside" between Long Key & Lower Matecumbe or at Marathon. There's a huge list of good anchorages on the "Bayside" if your draft is less than 5'.
Old 10-01-2013, 11:25   #10

Boat: 1963 Pearson Electra 22
I came down almost 17 years ago on my sailboat for a month & never left! When I first moved down, I anchored on the bayside in Tarpon Basin. It's very well protected from all directions & can accommodate 4-5ft draft. They also, now, have the government center located on the water there. There is a dinghy dock & BBQ grills in the little park there. A little further down the ICW (about 2 miles) is Sunset Cove. There are several boats anchored close to shore here & several restaurant/bars on the water. Both of these places, I have found, are safe. Both are also about a mile from Publix supermarket & a Kmart, via the US1 bike path. There is also a cvs & Walgreens across the street from Sunset Cove anchorage. The only other decent anchorages in Key Largo is off Rodriguez Key & Tavernier Key. The holding is okay if you can find a sandy patch. Otherwise, there's tons of sea grass covered bottom that's sure to foul your anchor.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: