Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-10-2012, 08:37   #91

Boat: Lagoon380 Comfort#637
Send a message via Skype™ to careka
Re: Mooring Fees

Well you save the cost of AC, and all you need is good cloths. and you dont get so dam hot all the time.
in my town at the marina you can stay for around 70$ a month in the off season, and around 25$ a day in the season, and thats all incl. el, wather, WIFI, +++
and that is for a boat from 40-50 ft.
And you can anchor for free nearly all over, there is always a spot.
careka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 08:47   #92
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

sailed in florida in summer--didnt need air conditioning--boat was always into wind, so was nice n breezy. we anchored out. when in marinas we didnt have air conditioning and it wasnt bad at all. just very buggy..lol
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 09:07   #93

Boat: Finnsailer 38

Quote:
where water is warm , the price of moorages--docks, moorings, etc, are higher--seems to be in proportion to the heat of the ocean.....
Not really here on the East Coast. Maine is more expensive than Florida and Massachusetts is more expensive than the Chesapeake. The cheapest areas are in the Carolinas and maybe Georgia, in terms of dockage, fuel, and general prices, but Florida is a lot cheaper than the Northeast.
Old 11-10-2012, 09:42   #94
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422
Re: Mooring fees

Quote:
Originally Posted by careka View Post
Have you sailed the cost of Norway ?

Welcome. and cost in marinas, well , very low. and normaly all is incl. even WIFI.
Another place very, very high on my cruising list. I must see it all, so here's the plan.

Across the Atlantic via Bermuda and the Azores, up the coast of Portugal cross the Bay of Biscay to the Isles. Spend a few months, in UK and Ireland. Cross the North Sea and spend a couple of months cruising Norway, then back south to spend another couple of months in Sweden and Denmark. Back down the coast and stop in Holland for a couple of months. Keep going and spend another 3-4 months along the French coast. On south to northern Spain, Portugal to Gibraltar. Then spend another 6-8 months going slowly east across the Med to Greece, Turkey, south to Israel ..........

Just a couple of problems with the plan. First I start running out of summer before I've had time to properly see northern Europe, so either get cold or haul butt south to the Med for the winter then turn around and go back north to finish the cruise. The other problem I will run out of Schengen days way before I've done it all.

Plan definitely needs some fine tuning but I've still got a couple of years to figure out the fine points. Gives me plenty to do when it's a slow day at work.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 10:01   #95
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
mosquitos and no seeums fly and are carried on breezes quite far offshore, you will actually find. i use autan. is a product that works. screens do not work against no seeums.
we are able to find skeeters on board for over a mile offshore. in florida, every anchorage we used in west fla had no seeums and skeeters and flies and all kinds of lovelies--those yellow flies are nasty.
the good thing about anchorage is most are free so you dont have to pay for AS MANY bugs as in a marina. unfortunately, if you read at night, even in an anchorage, you attract bugs.

An occasional, rare mosquito might be blown offshore, maybe, but I have a good friend anchored not more than 500 feet from mangroves and he just never has mosquitoes. Mosqitoes know how to read the wind and work hard to stay on land. I've stayed on his boat and know it to be true. Mosquitoes are not drawn by light, and I've never had a bug come in after my evening lights. I really don't like them, and if life had been like that I probably would be living on land again. Even in the marina I haven't had bugs drawn by lights.

I don't know how the lovebugs ended up under the bridge but that was really disgusting.
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 10:04   #96
cruiser

Quote:
sailed in florida in summer--didnt need air conditioning--boat was always into wind, so was nice n breezy. we anchored out. when in marinas we didnt have air conditioning and it wasnt bad at all. just very buggy..lol

I agree with you about the "no need for ac" when anchored here, but even more so on the east coast of Florida. For whatever reason, it cools off more at night. The only thing I don't like about this climate is that in the summer, the temperature rarely drops below 80, and that will only be for a few hours.

For whatever reason, I get a good breeze in this marina. I can put the windscoop up and be comfortable even with a screen over the hatch.
Old 11-10-2012, 11:03   #97

mosquitos ride winds for nearly a mile--had em in florida a mile off coast at anchor. is all dependent on where one anchors--if it is near a town, malathion is sprayed so there arent as many as when one anchors away from alleged civilization.
Old 11-10-2012, 11:19   #98
cruiser

Quote:
mosquitos ride winds for nearly a mile--had em in florida a mile off coast at anchor. is all dependent on where one anchors--if it is near a town, malathion is sprayed so there arent as many as when one anchors away from alleged civilization.

They don't spray malathion where I am. They don't spray for mosquitoes here.
Old 11-10-2012, 11:36   #99

then there are many many many skeeters you have not been seeing. skeeters are attracted to CO2 and to stale water and brackish water, in which they lay eggs. most places in usa with a history of skeeters have a program. they trap, count , and spray. not every one who lives in a community is aware of this program. is a public health program.
florida i s within the dengue fever area, so i know it is sprayed. there is a wide band world wide in subtropical and tropical areas in which dengue fever is prevalent. these areas are treated in usa. the gulf of mexico coastal area entirely --i was in florida during a spraying, as i was in louisiana--research dengue fever--you will see a map--was a thread on this earlier in year, or late last year, as i recall, as there were outbreaks again of dengue, a disease carried by mosquitos..
Outbreak Notice: Dengue, Tropical and Subtropical Regions - Travelers' Health - CDC
Old 11-10-2012, 11:51   #100

Boat: Cape Cod Shipbuilders Bullseye

I have lived surounded by marshes and swamps most of my life. The best way to deal with skeeters is to have good bronze screens, eat plenty of onions and garlic and have good air movement in the boat.
CCBullseye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 11:56   #101

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post

So plan it to get a Honda EU2000 which I want for backup charging and other uses anyway. The problem is the Honda is very marginal in capacity to handle the high starting loads for A/C compressors so have added a Victron inverter/charger with A/C power boost feature that will automatically kick in to supplemental the Honda's power when needed.
They make soft starts for AC systems. I don't recall the name, but it's been posted here and elsewhere many times. You can do that without an inverter. Search on "Honda soft start".

PS I posted this before the thread drift and move to a new topic, sorry.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 11:59   #102

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by careka View Post
Have you sailed the cost of Norway ?

Welcome. and cost in marinas, well , very low. and normaly all is incl. even WIFI.
Norway is HIGH on my list of future destinations

But cheap marinas won't make up for horrendous cost of everything else - Norway is I think the most expensive country on the planet. But I don't mind - by all accounts it's worth it

I am strongly attracted to high latitudes - Norway, Faroes, Orkneys, Iceland, Greenland - can't wait to get up there.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 12:12   #103
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
Norway is HIGH on my list of future destinations

But cheap marinas won't make up for horrendous cost of everything else - Norway is I think the most expensive country on the planet. But I don't mind - by all accounts it's worth it

I am strongly attracted to high latitudes - Norway, Faroes, Orkneys, Iceland, Greenland - can't wait to get up there.
For expensive I've heard Switzerland is pretty close to the top. Maybe a good thing they don't have a seacoast.

I have considered crossing the Atlantic by the northern route, Nova Scotia to Greenland to Iceland to Ireland but my crew threatened mutiny. Would still like to go. Once on a flight from London to Atlanta our course took us close enough that I had a great view of the southern tip of Greenland. Very spectacular from the air. Bet it would be even better from the water.
Old 11-10-2012, 13:58   #104
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
They make soft starts for AC systems. I don't recall the name, but it's been posted here and elsewhere many times. You can do that without an inverter. Search on "Honda soft start".

PS I posted this before the thread drift and move to a new topic, sorry.
Yep. Your behind times. Already posted about the soft starts on the other thread.
Old 11-10-2012, 17:29   #105
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Vancouver 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
OK, I thought so. Learning more Brit-speak all the time.
Sounds pretty good to me. Can't wait to get to the UK to cruise.
Only thing is the weather is not good even in the south of UK.
One thing in UK no one is allowed to charge over base rate for electricity, however they are allowed to charge a standing fee for the equipment to supply it.

Tags
fees, mooring