Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-10-2012, 06:24   #76
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Re: Mooring Fees

mosquitos and no seeums fly and are carried on breezes quite far offshore, you will actually find. i use autan. is a product that works. screens do not work against no seeums.
we are able to find skeeters on board for over a mile offshore. in florida, every anchorage we used in west fla had no seeums and skeeters and flies and all kinds of lovelies--those yellow flies are nasty.
the good thing about anchorage is most are free so you dont have to pay for AS MANY bugs as in a marina. unfortunately, if you read at night, even in an anchorage, you attract bugs.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 06:25   #77
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakuflames View Post
One of the great advantages to anchoring out is that mosquitoes and no-seeums are both shore creatures.
Yes but they can fly. On a calm night I have been swarmed by one or the other over half mile from shore.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 06:27   #78
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
mosquitos and no seeums fly and are carried on breezes quite far offshore, you will actually find. i use autan. is a product that works. screens do not work against no seeums.
we are able to find skeeters on board for over a mile offshore. in florida, every anchorage we used in west fla had no seeums and skeeters and flies and all kinds of lovelies--those yellow flies are nasty.
the good thing about anchorage is most are free so you dont have to pay for AS MANY bugs as in a marina. unfortunately, if you read at night, even in an anchorage, you attract bugs.
The yellow flies may be the worst. Not nearly as many of them as the skeeters and noseeums but when they bite it really gets your attention.
Old 11-10-2012, 06:28   #79

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluewaters2812 View Post
Not sure how the thread changed to gensets etc? lol
Indeed. We've moved that post into a new thread, here: http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ion-90833.html
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 06:31   #80

Boat: Cape Cod Shipbuilders Bullseye

Quote:
Originally Posted by motion30 View Post
Please keep us informed as to what you find in 12 volt air conditioner units
I posted my response to the moved thread.
CCBullseye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 06:44   #81
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluewaters2812 View Post
Not sure how the thread changed to gensets etc? lol
Another wonderful example of thread drift. Works like this, the foot bone's connected to the ankle bone, the ankle bone's connected to the leg bone. Keep that up for a while and you end up at the head bone.

Or in this case, mooring fees connected to the mooring life, mooring life's connected to hot night, the hot night's connected to the bug bite, the bug bite's connected ...........

I think there is an unwritten law of the internet that allows minor thread drift after the second or third page of relevant replies and anything goes after five-six pages. Thread drift in the first 3-4 replies is quite inconsiderate and the perpetrators should be severely chastised.

On a more serious note, as long as the original question has been addressed I have sometimes found the information that came up from thread drift to be very interesting or entertaining.
Old 11-10-2012, 06:47   #82

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
Another wonderful example of thread drift. Works like this, the foot bone's connected to the ankle bone, the ankle bone's connected to the leg bone. Keep that up for a while and you end up at the head bone.

Or in this case, mooring fees connected to the mooring life, mooring life's connected to hot night, the hot night's connected to the bug bite, the bug bite's connected ...........

I think there is an unwritten law of the internet that allows minor thread drift after the second or third page of relevant replies and anything goes after five-six pages. Thread drift in the first 3-4 replies is quite inconsiderate and the perpetrators should be severely chastised.

On a more serious note, as long as the original question has been addressed I have sometimes found the information that came up from thread drift to be very interesting or entertaining.
Thread drift is an absolutely natural part of the flow of any good conversation. Just like in any good conversation, one thought leads to thoughts on other subjects.

It's just good to start new threads for really new topics, rather than yank an existing thread hard off topic. It's perfectly acceptable to post a link to the new thread you've started, in the old thread which inspired it.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 06:51   #83
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
The yellow flies may be the worst. Not nearly as many of them as the skeeters and noseeums but when they bite it really gets your attention.

Never seen a yellow fly ...
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 06:53   #84
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
Thread drift is an absolutely natural part of the flow of any good conversation. Just like in any good conversation, one thought leads to thoughts on other subjects.

It's just good to start new threads for really new topics, rather than yank an existing thread hard off topic. It's perfectly acceptable to post a link to the new thread you've started, in the old thread which inspired it.

It's all connected. My experience online is that when a conversation is moved to a new thread it often loses all its traction. It's "hanging in space" with no history.
Old 11-10-2012, 07:13   #85
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by motion30 View Post
Please keep us informed as to what you find in 12 volt air conditioner units
Hi,

Seems like the thread drift got out of hand so will post this to the new thread started to handle the overflow.

Here.

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ion-90833.html
Old 11-10-2012, 07:17   #86

yellow flies were rampant in florida the year i was sailing there--is a miracle you havent seen one of the great preditors of florida..lol
their bite is sooo nasty..huge. i was bitten in tampa bay(st pete) by yellow flies ...they are there--if you havent seen them yet, in all the time you have been in tampa bay, you WILL see them sometime soon--is their playground--gulf coast, especially florida. yellow fly season is overlapping with black fly season....and love bug season....
Old 11-10-2012, 07:36   #87
cruiser

Quote:
yellow flies were rampant in florida the year i was sailing there--is a miracle you havent seen one of the great preditors of florida..lol
their bite is sooo nasty..huge. i was bitten in tampa bay(st pete) by yellow flies ...they are there--if you havent seen them yet, in all the time you have been in tampa bay, you WILL see them sometime soon--is their playground--gulf coast, especially florida. yellow fly season is overlapping with black fly season....and love bug season....

Maybe they're like locusts, busier some seasons than others? For whatever reason we had hardly any love bugs this year. Oh DARN.

LOL spring I was sailing under the Skyway bridge, towing a dinghy. Love bugs had massed on the bridge supports, saw our boat and mobbed it. It was gross -- all three of us were covered with them, everything in the cockpit was covered (fortunately the cabin was closed). We did everything we could to brush them off and off the boat, but they're land animals. We finally banished most of them to the dinghy, which was just black, covered with them. One of the people with me was from Finland and had never sailed before. We had planned to go to the Vinoy Basin and anchor out. She wanted to sleep on deck, and we'd figured out how to put up a tarp like a pup tent to keep the dew off her ...

but we had no way to keep the love bugs off her!

We finally just surrendered and went on back to the dock.
Old 11-10-2012, 07:39   #88
cruiser

Quote:

Found this link:

Yellow flies are back! | Welcome to Walton Outdoors

Thanks for the heads up on this.
Old 11-10-2012, 08:17   #89

Boat: Lagoon380 Comfort#637
Send a message via Skype™ to careka
Re: Mooring fees

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
You'll like it! Some of the best sailing on the planet. And some of the most challenging. Absolutely beautiful coasts which in some places are amazingly wild and desolate, considering the high density of population of the UK. Amazingly beautiful, ancient, interesting ports. Northern France is also fantastic.

Highly recommend the area -- on the whole, I guess, the best place I've ever cruised.
Have you sailed the cost of Norway ?

Welcome. and cost in marinas, well , very low. and normaly all is incl. even WIFI.
careka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 08:29   #90

norway is gorgeous, from the pix i saw--but has one thing wrong---COLD!!!!!!

where water is warm , the price of moorages--docks, moorings, etc, are higher--seems to be in proportion to the heat of the ocean.....

Tags
fees, mooring