Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-10-2012, 06:10   #31

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge
Re: Mooring Fees

The standard (up to 45') mooring balls in Annapolis, MD, are $30/night, and the few heavy duty (up to 55') mooring balls are $35/night.

I don't know the current rate for overnight dockage (i.e., in a slip or along the bulkhead) in Annapolis for comparison, but...

Overnight transient docking around here on the upper Chesapeake usually ranges from $1.50/ft in a marina with few amenities to maybe $3.75/ft full a resort marina, especially on holiday weekends. Usually plus electric. Sometimes plus resort fee.

-Chris
Old 10-10-2012, 06:10   #32

I am in south florida, dock space at the city marina was around $900 a month for me. I looked around a bit , one mile up the icw, small yacht club $600 plus elec . Currently I am at a slip behind a small condo for $ 450 a month plus elec can see the city marina from here Lots of spots avaliable especially in the summer
motion30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 06:15   #33

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Re: Mooring fees

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasco View Post
There are some parts of Florida that will appeal to city folks or history buffs. Albeit not too many, but there are some. St. Augustine is a charming little town, supposedly the oldest city in the US. We love South Beach, the lively little center of action in Miami Beach You can anchor right off South Beach, tie your dink up in the Collins Canal and wander around people watching or, if you're interested in dining, check out the many restaurants.

Many folks decry the rules and regulations that boaters have to be aware of in Florida but, on the whole, it's not a bad place to cruise. And there are still many, many spots where you can anchor so the advice re ground tackle and anchoring technique should be heeded.
And Naples is semi-interesting.

But that is precious few interesting ports for a state with a coastline longer than those of most entire European countries!

Florida is a great place to cruise, but it's the fabulous nature which is 90% of what is interesting, not the towns or ports, which with few exceptions are ugly and boring.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 06:16   #34

On my last two trips on the ICW from florida to the chesapeake bay I anchored every nite, never paid a dime , often dinghied to shore , no problem
Old 10-10-2012, 06:25   #35

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
Sounds pretty good to me. Can't wait to get to the UK to cruise.
You'll like it! Some of the best sailing on the planet. And some of the most challenging. Absolutely beautiful coasts which in some places are amazingly wild and desolate, considering the high density of population of the UK. Amazingly beautiful, ancient, interesting ports. Northern France is also fantastic.

Highly recommend the area -- on the whole, I guess, the best place I've ever cruised.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 06:58   #36
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
You'll like it! Some of the best sailing on the planet. And some of the most challenging. Absolutely beautiful coasts which in some places are amazingly wild and desolate, considering the high density of population of the UK. Amazingly beautiful, ancient, interesting ports. Northern France is also fantastic.

Highly recommend the area -- on the whole, I guess, the best place I've ever cruised.
Can't wait. On my few trips to the UK even driving around the coastal areas was pretty interesting. By boat would have to be even better.

As a Florida resident I have to agree that most FL cities are not too exciting. FL is, even for the US, a very new state and has grown a lot in recent years (read over-developed) so a lot of the cities are miles and miles of almost identical little houses and miles of strip malls comprised mostly of McDonalds, Starbucks and the same large chain stores.

If you don't read the street signs you could be dropped down into the middle of the majority of FL cities and not be able to tell one from the other.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 07:03   #37

Quote:
Can't wait. On my few trips to the UK even driving around the coastal areas was pretty interesting. By boat would have to be even better.

As a Florida resident I have to agree that most FL cities are not too exciting. FL is, even for the US, a very new state and has grown a lot in recent years (read over-developed) so a lot of the cities are miles and miles of almost identical little houses and miles of strip malls comprised mostly of McDonalds, Starbucks and the same large chain stores.

If you don't read the street signs you could be dropped down into the middle of the majority of FL cities and not be able to tell one from the other.
That maybe true unless.... you choose miami (if that is your style) Or the keys , my choise
Old 10-10-2012, 07:07   #38
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
And Naples is semi-interesting.

But that is precious few interesting ports for a state with a coastline longer than those of most entire European countries!

Florida is a great place to cruise, but it's the fabulous nature which is 90% of what is interesting, not the towns or ports, which with few exceptions are ugly and boring.

Gulfport, FL is interesting, quaint -- and a little weird. Certainly not boring!

It's very pretty at Coconut Grove and at many marinas down the SW coast of FL. Twin Dolphins is beautiful (Bradenton, Manatee River) and the downtown area is also lovely.

There are also beautiful anchorages in SW Florida, and the mosquito seaso is ALMOST over -- I got really bitten up yesterday, so I would urge caution in the Shark River, which is both more infested and further south, so still very warm.
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 07:07   #39

Boat: Van De Stadt Excalibur 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Bluewaters2812

Quote:
Originally Posted by motion30 View Post
On my last two trips on the ICW from florida to the chesapeake bay I anchored every nite, never paid a dime , often dinghied to shore , no problem
Now that's what I like to hear.
Bluewaters2812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 07:15   #40

Boat: Shorebro,Royal 33 - Aloisius

In the Southern Caribbean you can generally pick a spot where you can set an anchor. You might have to go to a different bay, but we have paid a few times for a mooring and that is only because we wanted to stop in a particular spot for a few days. In the Windwards and Leewards, most boats are anchored.
landonshaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 07:20   #41
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by motion30 View Post
That maybe true unless.... you choose miami (if that is your style) Or the keys , my choise
There are certainly some interesting and non-trip mall places in FL. Certainly Miami, at least downtown, Miami Beach, Coconut Grove and vicinity.

Some others: The Keys, Ybor City in Tampa (be sure to eat at the Columbia Restaurant), St Augustine, Tarpon Springs are a few that come to mind.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 07:26   #42

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 400

When we travel around South Florida, we anchor 90% of the time, we use mooring balls 5% of the time and pull into a dock 5% of the time. The only times we use a dock mooring is when we are picking up someone, or need to make repairs to something like the engine or rigging. Sometimes we will try to find a Mooring Ball to attach to if it looks like a strong storm is comming. When we need water and a pumpout of our blackwater tank, we make a trip into the fuel dock for fuel. There you can ussally fill with water for free, and pump out for free or very cheaply if buying fuel. By the way, diesel fuel is costing somewhere between $3.50-$4.50 per gal.
Rocketman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 08:10   #43

Boat: Van De Stadt Excalibur 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Bluewaters2812

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketman View Post
When we travel around South Florida, we anchor 90% of the time, we use mooring balls 5% of the time and pull into a dock 5% of the time. The only times we use a dock mooring is when we are picking up someone, or need to make repairs to something like the engine or rigging. Sometimes we will try to find a Mooring Ball to attach to if it looks like a strong storm is comming. When we need water and a pumpout of our blackwater tank, we make a trip into the fuel dock for fuel. There you can ussally fill with water for free, and pump out for free or very cheaply if buying fuel. By the way, diesel fuel is costing somewhere between $3.50-$4.50 per gal.
That is excellent information thank you Rocketman, just the sort of info we were looking for and especially helpful towards our planning and management info.
Bluewaters2812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 08:11   #44
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:

That is most certainly NOT the west central Florida I live in.

By the way, the shelling is *fantastic* on Venice beaches. The farther south you go, the better it gets. The best one can only be reached by water, but you can anchor off, swim 10 feet and then wade in.
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 09:02   #45

Boat: Pearson 323 - Island Breezes

I'd say most of Florida is pretty boring. It's a weird mix of hick middle of nowhere towns with suburbia surrounding tourist attractions. The tourist spots can be interesting to visit though and between the hick towns Florida has some amazing wilderness.

If I was tripping to Florida and from the UK I'd probably hit both. Enjoy anchoring out in the less worn paths(west coast of Florida and keys are great for this) and maybe park the boat at a slip in Titusville(cheap nice marina) and bus into Orlando for a few days to catch the tourist traps.

The way things are spaced out in the state you could pretty easily switch back and forth between tourist spots and beautiful scenery.
LauderBoy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fees, mooring