Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-10-2012, 05:03   #16

Boat: Van De Stadt Excalibur 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Bluewaters2812
Re: Mooring fees

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
Hi Bluewater,

Not sure since I'm not completely fluent in Brit-speak but maybe we should clarify terms.

In the states when you say mooring that generally refers to hooking up to a permanent anchoring system out in the harbor. I think over there mooring may mean or at least include as one option, tied up to a dock at a marina. Yes??

For docking at a marina rates are hugely variable depending on location. General rule of thumb, higher around big cities or high demand tourist locations, cheaper when you get to more out of the way locations. The highest rates tend to be New England (anything north of New York City) and south Florida (West Palm Beach south to the Keys). For transient rates for my 42' boat around New England it was typically USD$3.00 per ft per night. South Florida overnight rates will be about the same. Either area fancy resort marinas in the center of town could be even higher.

When you get away from the high rent areas the rates are much better. One night transient rates $1-$2 per ft per day are common. There are even places where you can get a night or a few nights free. On the ICW you can find restaurants on the water that let you spend the night if you eat dinner there. Some small towns have a small free dock area to encourage travelers to stop for a day or so to spend money in the area.

Mooring as in picking up the line attached to a permanent anchor is cheaper but you will have to dinghy or take a launch to shore. New England moorings are mostly around the $25-$35/night but at some fancy resort areas expect $50-$75.

Dropping your own anchor is free, at least in most places.
Once again, thanks for a very informative response.
Bluewaters2812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 05:05   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by cburger View Post
Unless your British Petroleum.
One of our "MUST HAVES" is a holding tank and we will negotiate on price to budget for one to be installed if the boat we get does not have one. If it does not have space for one then we will not be buying it.
Old 10-10-2012, 05:14   #18

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
Hi Bluewater,

Not sure since I'm not completely fluent in Brit-speak but maybe we should clarify terms.

In the states when you say mooring that generally refers to hooking up to a permanent anchoring system out in the harbor. I think over there mooring may mean or at least include as one option, tied up to a dock at a marina. Yes??

For docking at a marina rates are hugely variable depending on location. General rule of thumb, higher around big cities or high demand tourist locations, cheaper when you get to more out of the way locations. The highest rates tend to be New England (anything north of New York City) and south Florida (West Palm Beach south to the Keys). For transient rates for my 42' boat around New England it was typically USD$3.00 per ft per night. South Florida overnight rates will be about the same. Either area fancy resort marinas in the center of town could be even higher.

When you get away from the high rent areas the rates are much better. One night transient rates $1-$2 per ft per day are common. There are even places where you can get a night or a few nights free. On the ICW you can find restaurants on the water that let you spend the night if you eat dinner there. Some small towns have a small free dock area to encourage travelers to stop for a day or so to spend money in the area.

Mooring as in picking up the line attached to a permanent anchor is cheaper but you will have to dinghy or take a launch to shore. New England moorings are mostly around the $25-$35/night but at some fancy resort areas expect $50-$75.

Dropping your own anchor is free, at least in most places.
He's talking about marina berths.

$3.00 a foot is flipping crazy, but this is a common price in SW Florida. And electricity is not even included, usually another $10, or $15 for a 30 amp connection!!!

This will seem insane to English people where the most expensive visitors' berths, like for example Cowes Yacht Haven, are 2.45 pounds per meter, electricity included, about $1.20 per foot.

At Poole Quay Boat Haven, a very posh place in the center of the town, you will pay a bit more -- about 4 pounds per meter plus 3 pounds for electricity. That's still only about $2 a foot. But some of the most wonderful places to berth up in the UK are not in marinas, but in historical ports, and these are sometimes cheaper (although they're better) -- in Weymouth, for example, where the Olympic sailing took place this summer, you pay 2.40 (about $1.20 per foot) to moor up to the ancient quay, right in the center of the ancient town.

These are all posh South Coast locations -- on the other UK coasts, berthing charges are considerably less.

So English sailors do get a shock when they come to the U.S.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 05:27   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluewaters2812 View Post
One of our "MUST HAVES" is a holding tank and we will negotiate on price to budget for one to be installed if the boat we get does not have one. If it does not have space for one then we will not be buying it.
I would like to share an option for holding tank configuration that I favor, but to avoid the drift in topic I'll post this on a new thread in this Liveaboard's forum.

Back to the topic of mooring and docking fees, I want to emphasize the huge differences in cost within nearby locations. As an example, you can pay $4/ft at an ICW dock in Fort Lauderdale and find a $1.25/ft rate just off the intracostal waterway up the New River.
Old 10-10-2012, 05:33   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptForce View Post
I would like to share an option for holding tank configuration that I favor, but to avoid the drift in topic I'll post this on a new thread in this Liveaboard's forum.

Back to the topic of mooring and docking fees, I want to emphasize the huge differences in cost within nearby locations. As an example, you can pay $4/ft at an ICW dock in Fort Lauderdale and find a $1.25/ft rate just off the intracostal waterway up the New River.
Thanks for that info. I agree with "Dockhead" that those are crazy prices! I guess any boat buying in Florida will mean a very short-lived mooring there.

I will have a look for the new topic on holding tanks, thanks.
Old 10-10-2012, 05:35   #21

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
Well, cruising is different in the U.S. In Florida, in particular, you don't cruise for the sake of the interesting cities or charming ports -- they aren't very interesting or charming. You cruise because of the wonderful nature and wild places you can see from the water. So make sure you have good ground tackle and good anchoring technique, because you will spend a lot of time at anchor. You will want to be pretty self-sufficient in terms of power, and have decent water tankage. Enjoy.
There are some parts of Florida that will appeal to city folks or history buffs. Albeit not too many, but there are some. St. Augustine is a charming little town, supposedly the oldest city in the US. We love South Beach, the lively little center of action in Miami Beach You can anchor right off South Beach, tie your dink up in the Collins Canal and wander around people watching or, if you're interested in dining, check out the many restaurants.

Many folks decry the rules and regulations that boaters have to be aware of in Florida but, on the whole, it's not a bad place to cruise. And there are still many, many spots where you can anchor so the advice re ground tackle and anchoring technique should be heeded.
Old 10-10-2012, 05:35   #22

"...

So English sailors do get a shock when they come to the U.S.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the info. I agree those are crazy prices! But I am shocked by then even before I have arrived in the USA East Coast lol.
Old 10-10-2012, 05:51   #23
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'
Re: Mooring Fees

Quote:
Hi folks, I'm sure this topic has been covered previously but I have searched and not come upon it.

Can anyone share their experience of mooring fees around the Caribbean, East Coast USA and Gulf of Mexico with me? I am looking at a rough idea for a budget ie:

1.What is the lowest price per foot/night (and where)?
2. What is the highest price per foot (and where)?
I am trying to get a rough idea of an appropriate budget and perhaps an average price per foot across the regions I have mentioned.
3. Are there discounts as a rule for longer mooring/shorter mooring periods of say 1 week/1month or does this make no difference?

At the Coconut Grove marina, just south of Marina, the monthly rate is $10 a day. Length of boat is not a consideration (except that there are some boats that wouldn't fit). It held through all the many squalls Isaac brought to Miami.) I don't remember what the daily rate is but it is double or more.

Coconut Grove is amazing because they even have a shuttle service. This is intended for when you don't want your dinghy at the dock for long periods of time and only runs during the day (there's also a limit of how long you can leave your dinghy at the dock) but is great if you're going to go out of town, for instance. It's live-aboard friendly.
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 05:54   #24

Re: Mooring Fees

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakuflames View Post
At the Coconut Grove marina, just south of Marina, the monthly rate is $10 a day. Length of boat is not a consideration (except that there are some boats that wouldn't fit). It held through all the many squalls Isaac brought to Miami.) I don't remember what the daily rate is but it is double or more.

Coconut Grove is amazing because they even have a shuttle service. This is intended for when you don't want your dinghy at the dock for long periods of time and only runs during the day (there's also a limit of how long you can leave your dinghy at the dock) but is great if you're going to go out of town, for instance. It's live-aboard friendly.
Now that seems a little more reasonable for sure. Thanks very much for that info.
Old 10-10-2012, 05:57   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Quote:
.................. I guess any boat buying in Florida will mean a very short-lived mooring there...............
I usually take a dock for a couple of months in North Florida where the cost for my 41' boat comes to about $700 US/ month or less. These rates are found in Titusville, Daytona, St. Augustine, and on the St. Johns River in Jacksonville, Orange Park & Green Cove Springs
Old 10-10-2012, 05:59   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasco View Post
There are some parts of Florida that will appeal to city folks or history buffs. Albeit not too many, but there are some. St. Augustine is a charming little town, supposedly the oldest city in the US. We love South Beach, the lively little center of action in Miami Beach You can anchor right off South Beach, tie your dink up in the Collins Canal and wander around people watching or, if you're interested in dining, check out the many restaurants.

Many folks decry the rules and regulations that boaters have to be aware of in Florida but, on the whole, it's not a bad place to cruise. And there are still many, many spots where you can anchor so the advice re ground tackle and anchoring technique should be heeded.
Thanks, yes I agree that correct anchoring and equipment is very important. We are not "city" types and always try and avoid big cities (even small cities). We prefer out of the way places and places where the tourists don't overpopulate.
Old 10-10-2012, 06:01   #27

Quote:
I guess any boat buying in Florida will mean a very short-lived mooring there.
The crazy prices are in a pretty limited region, from about Ft. Lauderdale south to the Keys. The thing to be aware of is that there are a lot of places where you can anchor for free. Probably not as many around Miami as there are here in the Tampa Bay area, but it is still an option. And in most parts of Florida, if they have moorings, the fees are quite reasonable.

Dock space also varies a lot. Here in the Tampa area it seems to be around $8-$9 per foot per month. For shorter stays, for example, the St. Petersburg municipal marina (a nice marina in a very nice area) charges $1.85 per foot per day, or $6.74 per foot per week.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 06:05   #28
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd0n View Post
The crazy prices are in a pretty limited region, from about Ft. Lauderdale south to the Keys. The thing to be aware of is that there are a lot of places where you can anchor for free. Probably not as many around Miami as there are here in the Tampa Bay area, but it is still an option. And in most parts of Florida, if they have moorings, the fees are quite reasonable.

Dock space also varies a lot. Here in the Tampa area it seems to be around $8-$9 per foot per month. For shorter stays, for example, the St. Petersburg municipal marina (a nice marina in a very nice area) charges $1.85 per foot per day, or $6.74 per foot per week.

There is a place in Miami where you can anchor; email me.
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 06:06   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd0n View Post

Some further informative info, thank you. I think we will be looking for as many free anchorages as possible before we make our way South to the Caribbean lol. Of course we may end up finding our yacht there anyway so will only have to consider this if we sail to the East Coast.
Old 10-10-2012, 06:07   #30
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
He's talking about marina berths.
OK, I thought so. Learning more Brit-speak all the time.

Quote:
$3.00 a foot is flipping crazy, but this is a common price in SW Florida. And electricity is not even included, usually another $10, or $15 for a 30 amp connection!!!
Totally agree. I bought my boat in New York and kept it for a year in New England. Starting on a mooring (US version of mooring) in Bristol Rhode Island and anchored for a month in Essex Connecticut before heading south for the winter (see the names of the towns and wonder why they call it New England?). When crew flew in to CT to meet me for the trip south I thought it would be very convenient to get a marina berth for a couple of days to load crew, luggage and provisions for the trip. Checked around the area and the cheapest I could find was $126 plus taxes plus electric and not even showers. That is for one night.

I pointed out to the marina owner that I could get a nice hotel room with cable TV, free HBO, showers, a kitchenette and all the electricity I could use for $85 per night including taxes. Also mentioned that the boating economy was bad and his marina was about 2/3 empty. The owner wouldn't budge on the price so I stayed on the anchor.

Quote:
This will seem insane to English people where the most expensive visitors' berths, like for example Cowes Yacht Haven, are 2.45 pounds per meter, electricity included, about $1.20 per foot.

At Poole Quay Boat Haven, a very posh place in the center of the town, you will pay a bit more -- about 4 pounds per meter plus 3 pounds for electricity. That's still only about $2 a foot. But some of the most wonderful places to berth up in the UK are not in marinas, but in historical ports, and these are sometimes cheaper (although they're better) -- in Weymouth, for example, where the Olympic sailing took place this summer, you pay 2.40 (about $1.20 per foot) to moor up to the ancient quay, right in the center of the ancient town.

These are all posh South Coast locations -- on the other UK coasts, berthing charges are considerably less.

So English sailors do get a shock when they come to the U.S.
Sounds pretty good to me. Can't wait to get to the UK to cruise.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fees, mooring