Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-07-2019, 10:40   #1

Boat: Bristol 29.9
Month ten for a middle-aged couple on a modest boat.

We just finished up our tenth month of cruising full-time on our Bristol 29.9.

This month we returned to Connecticut where we immediately hauled the boat to take care of a few upgrades (Engel refrigerator and electric autopilot for when we're motoring) and routine maintenance. We also spent two weeks traveling to visit family in Western New York and the West Coast. The upgrades and the traveling are 50% of the month's expenses.

With the exception of perhaps adding an AIS transponder next summer, I don't really see us having any other large upgrades to the boat. From this point forward, boat expenses should be limited to maintenance/repair/replacement.

Below is 100% of what we spent in June. I don't leave anything out in these monthly reports because I don't believe "not counting" is particularly helpful for those still planning and dreaming.

Expenses:

Groceries/Non-food Groceries: $386.09

Diesel/Gasoline: $65.20

Medical: $116.99

Cell phone and internet (2 phones, iPad, iCloud storage, Garmin inReach subscription): $192.74

Mail: $300 (one time annual payment for our mailbox at the UPS Store)

Amazon Prime: $12.99

Netflix: $13.12 (we have since decided to cancel this again)

Annual State registration for the boat and dinghy: $135

Boat Items: $2,361.68 (Engel fridge, Pelagic autopilot, club burgee, bottom paint for the boat and the dinghy, boot stripe paint, roller frame, paint brushes, rollers, Waterway guide, epoxy, hardener, epoxy pumps, shaft zinc, two shackles, replacement flag halyards, spare dinghy propeller, replacement Origo gasket, anchor ball)

Restaurants/Entertainment: $111.73

Uber: $30

New York Times subscription: $20.20

Clothing: $276.78

Travel-related expenses to visit friends and family: $853.90

Random: $78.57 (haircuts, galley items)

Total: $4,954.99

2019 monthly average to date: $3,560.30

2018 monthly average (September - December): $4,465.95

Monthly average since starting to cruise: $3,922.38

I hope this is helpful.
Old 09-07-2019, 10:51   #2
CLOD

Boat: none
Re: Month ten for a middle-aged couple on a modest boat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cthoops View Post
We just finished up our tenth month of cruising full-time on our Bristol 29.9. how time flies

From this point forward, boat expenses should be limited to maintenance/repair/replacement.I've been saying that now for 30 months and keep waiting for the savings to kick in
As long as you are having a good time that's all that matters. Given you are doing boat work for later I would say you still are.
Old 10-07-2019, 07:19   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
As long as you are having a good time that's all that matters. Given you are doing boat work for later I would say you still are.
It is amazing how quickly the time is going by. I often say to Mr. cthoops that I’m glad we didn’t do this as a one or two year sabbatical. I’d be very grumpy if I had to stop soon to go sit behind a desk again!

We are definitely still having a good time. Once it stops being fun, we’ll likely switch to land travel via an RV.

Hopefully we’ll cross paths one day.
Old 10-07-2019, 14:07   #4

Thanks for the post ���� its nice to have multiple sources to build a budget from
TheRailRoader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 09:15   #5
CLOD

Quote:

Monthly average since starting to cruise: $3,922.38

I hope this is helpful.
Not to steal the thread, but I've averaged $3,849/mo the past 33 months on a much larger boat. And we dine out a lot and drink our share of brew as opposed to the OP here.

Just for something for people to consider when they read about how it costs so much more for "large" boats and how the "not counting" items really skew the numbers (hint everyone is going to have the "not counting" they will just be different than someone else's)
Old 11-07-2019, 10:14   #6

Quote:
Not to steal the thread, but I've averaged $3,849/mo the past 33 months on a much larger boat. And we dine out a lot and drink our share of brew as opposed to the OP here.

Just for something for people to consider when they read about how it costs so much more for "large" boats and how the "not counting" items really skew the numbers (hint everyone is going to have the "not counting" they will just be different than someone else's)
Agreed on all counts. Setting aside marina fees, I think the big difference for larger boats kicks in when it’s time to get new standing rigging or sails, and that is an infrequent occurrence.

I remember when you started posting your expenses and several long-time cruisers said that the first year tends to be the priciest - at least until big ticket items need to be replaced. 10 months in, I now understand why that’s the case. The high cost upgrades that we decided would make cruising work better for us AFTER we started cruising are accounted for (not everyone has these, of course), and after three months in the Bahamas our confidence in anchoring in crappy weather/high winds has skyrocketed which equates to fewer marina stops unless we simply want to.

All of this means that our annual average is trending down overall as the months pass (with an occasional blip) - thank goodness. But the decreasing costs isn’t because of the size of our boat. It’s because we’re getting better at this. Just something for the planners and dreamers to think about. A small boat does not automatically equal small monthly costs. With the exception of the big ticket items mentioned above, it’s not generally the size of the boat that gets ya!

BTW, last week Mr. cthoops’ cardiologist gave the ok for 3-4 beers OR 3 glasses of wine each week. He practically skipped out of her office. Guess I better start a line item for booze!
Old 11-07-2019, 11:03   #7
CLOD

Quote:
BTW, last week Mr. cthoops’ cardiologist gave the ok for 3-4 beers OR 3 glasses of wine each week. He practically skipped out of her office. Guess I better start a line item for booze!
There's goes the budget

If you really want to look out for his health be sure you drink the other half of the bottle of wine or drink the extra beers the night before to be sure they are safe for consumption!!!

Have a couple on me and put on my account for when we cross paths and I'll replace them!
Old 12-07-2019, 07:23   #8

Quote:
If you really want to look out for his health be sure you drink the other half of the bottle of wine or drink the extra beers the night before to be sure they are safe for consumption!!!

Have a couple on me and put on my account for when we cross paths and I'll replace them!
An EXCELLENT idea! I’ll do that.

Tags
boat