Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-05-2019, 10:53   #16
CLOD

Boat: none
Re: Month eight for a middle-aged couple on a modest boat.

[QUOTE=MikeFergie;2885304

Imagine a world map with “average” monthly costs for all to access here on the cruiser site.[/QUOTE]

yeah that would be nice. But it's not happening on this forum just based on that there are only a handful of full budget posters
Old 08-05-2019, 10:56   #17

Boat: Catana 47 hull no 1 ex Leopard 40 (2009) & Crownline 250CR

I will join you next year ;-)
I will spend my first year in the South east Africa and Indian Ocean region kind’ve up to Seychelles before heading to Cape Town to cross the Atlantic
MikeFergie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 10:59   #18

Boat: Rafiki 37

Mike, there are a number of cost-of-living tools online. None that I know of are specific to the cruising lifestyle, so I agree, it would be interesting to have this kind of specific comparison. But you can get an idea of general costs using these tools (there are lots):

https://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/comparison.jsp
https://www.expatistan.com/cost-of-living
https://smartasset.com/mortgage/cost...ing-calculator
Old 08-05-2019, 11:05   #19

Thanks Mike

As you say not specifically for cruising. Having spent the last 19 years being an expiate and understanding this world, I have worked hard to “ regularise” my life because the expiate world can be a very false world in terms of normal earnings and expenses.

It’s going to be an interesting transition for sure
Old 08-05-2019, 11:08   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Month eight for a middle-aged couple on a modest boat.

Another thing that would really blow that out of the water is living style.
We only eat out once or twice a week, usually try to stay away from touristy areas, never buy drinks at a bar, and usually eat Lunch as it’s much cheaper than the Evening meal.
Some eat out every day, at the tourist bars and buy several drinks, and consider that a necessary cost of living.

Some spend $2,000 a month and to them live fine, while others can’t “get by” on $5,000 a month, in identical locations.
Ask the guy how he can’t get by on $5,000 a month and he will tell you that they only spend money on the necessities.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 11:12   #21

I think that’s why a reasonable breakdown of expenses helps. One can work out your “ own” budget from the framework of others spends. I think a high one nowadays is Comms - cell phones data, sat phones subs to weather routing etc
Old 08-05-2019, 11:16   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Month eight for a middle-aged couple on a modest boat.

Agreed, many, many people we talk to, who are trying to live frugally, just can’t imagine life without them both having a phone, where I think it silly.
We are almost never apart now we are Retired, why would we each need a phone.
It hasn’t been all that long ago when no one had a mobile phone, and life went on just fine, but people have been conditioned I guess to think of that phone as a necessity. Homeless people all have smart phones, I guess it’s a civil right or something now.

My Wife’s friends and family though I was a horrible guy when I had her phone turned off when we Retired, I respond that it’s Hers now, I don’t have a phone, they feel better then
Old 08-05-2019, 12:24   #23

Agreed on the eating out thing, the touristy thing, and the cell phone thing .

For comparison, we avoid touristy areas, we rarely eat out (and I mean like one or twice in six months unless we’re travelling by car), and we own one iDevice with a modest data plan. As A64 says, we’re rarely apart, so one device with the ability to share the link is usually just fine.

Our budget is definitely on the frugal side, but many others live cheaper than we. It’s not really that hard. It just requires a little effort, and an understanding that we can’t afford many things that others might take for granted.
Old 08-05-2019, 12:29   #24

Boat: Outbound 44

Phones and communication is such a small part of our expenses I can't see where it matters that much. We pay $275 a year for Sailmail SSB access. Then have 1 or 2 local SIM cards depending where we are. Usually somewhere between $30 and $70 a month.
Old 08-05-2019, 12:47   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
Phones and communication is such a small part of our expenses I can't see where it matters that much. We pay $275 a year for Sailmail SSB access. Then have 1 or 2 local SIM cards depending where we are. Usually somewhere between $30 and $70 a month.
Ah, see $30/month is significant in my world. And $70 is a major expense. Ours ranges from $6 to $30/month (CND).
Old 08-05-2019, 13:31   #26

Boat: C&C 27 Mk III

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
We live on about ~$1200 US ($1500 CND). Two adults. I wouldn’t say it’s easy, but neither is it hard, as in living a hard life. Truth is, we live very well. We’re just very conscious of what we buy, and what we pay.

Some months are pretty lean. I’ve even had cut back on my craft beer consumption at times But mostly it’s not been too hard.

I think some of that is where you cruise?
Old 08-05-2019, 13:36   #27

Boat: Catalina 470

Biggest expense for me is the nm's uder the keel! Money spent preparing the boat for ocean crossings is significant compared to just bobbing along the coast. Big passages wear things out, just noticed rudder bearings are shot, will be hauling out sooner than I was going to now.
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 13:40   #28

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
Ah, see $30/month is significant in my world. And $70 is a major expense. Ours ranges from $6 to $30/month (CND).
Clearly, just seems to me $30 a month barely covers the miscellaneous stuff needed to keep a cruising boat in good condition. I guess we get hit with enough mid-sized stuff that I can't be concerned about $30 a month. Just finishing up replacing bimini and dodger canvas. It'll cost more than $30 a day for a month.
Paul L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2019, 14:34   #29
CLOD

Boat: none

Hell if $30/mo could cover the normal everyday misc stuff on my boat I would save a third world fortune
Old 08-05-2019, 14:48   #30
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
Clearly, just seems to me $30 a month barely covers the miscellaneous stuff needed to keep a cruising boat in good condition. I guess we get hit with enough mid-sized stuff that I can't be concerned about $30 a month. Just finishing up replacing bimini and dodger canvas. It'll cost more than $30 a day for a month.

Yes, it happens to us ALL, I had all of my canvas replaced in Brunswick Ga, last year too, also had the interior salon cushions replaced etc.
Year before we bought a custom Mattress from boatbeds.com for a ridiculous amount of money.

That is why we take money each month and put away. I don’t see any way to stay within budget if you don’t save some every month, cause budget busting expenses continue to happen, and if you think your going to get ahead of them or that a new boat won’t need anything for at least five years, I’m afraid you may be mistaken.
That is why I think the very frugal cruisers among us, their boats may be deteriorating over time, cause new Sails, Bimini’s etc are out of reach.
So they do things like paint the ones they have, etc.

Tags
boat