Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-02-2017, 05:55   #1
S/V rubber ducky

Boat: Hunter 410
Month 5 Expenses of Cruising and Living on the Boat

This past month we traveled from Vero Beach Florida to Green Turtle Cay Bahamas. Most of the time we spend at anchor, but we did spend 4 days in marina at West End and 2 days at Green Turtle Cay for weather issues. West End was a deal at $1/ft because the slips don’t have any power.

We dined out a couple of times, but mostly lunches. Some of the dinner expensive could have been called entertainment as they involved going out to watch football.

Entertainment included buying snorkeling equipment, going to a movie, some DVD rentals, Kindle books. It also includes a Time Share yearly expense of $549 in Cancun that could also be called food/liquor as it gets used for that on my next visit.

Communication, storage, and shipping is mostly cell phones of $212. I’m getting the feeling that this is going to increase $50/month here in the Bahamas for WiFi and anther $50 in international charges.

There were fees for US Customs, Bahamas checking in of $300, and some foreign transaction bank fees.

The total was $3,678 and if you play with the numbers you could say we “could” have been under the $3k budget, but that of course in cash accounting isn’t true.

Food, soda, alcohol, clothing, sundries - $ 1,112.90
Boat upgrades, repairs, maintenance - $ 225.09
Fuel - $ 85.10
Dining out - $ 363.03
Entertainment - $ 763.85
Communication, storage, shipping - $ 304.03
Fees - $ 335.50
Marina - $ 450.01
Medical - $ 22.27
Transportation - $ 17
Old 20-02-2017, 11:53   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Re: Month 5 Expenses of Cruising and Living on the Boat

I'm waiting to see how it shakes out in the Bahamas I assume you will spend less. How is the weather?
Been warm here, crazy abnormally warm winter. How about water temp, warm enough to swim comfortably?
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2017, 11:59   #3
S/V rubber ducky

The water and air are in the 70s. Don't be expecting costs to "settle" out here in the Bahamas. So far today I've got my slip costs of $0.55/ft, we went to the beach a while, had 1 drink each and shared a cracked conch appetizer, stopped at store and got a loaf of bread, package of hamburger buns, small thing of coconut water, some lettuce, 2 small tomatos.

Take a guess as to what we have spent today living the high life (not counting we still use ship stores)?
Old 20-02-2017, 12:03   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

$60 to $70?

My guess is based on
$22.55 slip
$10 drinks, but don't know what drinks means, alcoholic?
$10 appetizer
$10 bread, buns lettuce and tomatoes

Add $10 cause I usually guess low

What is coconut water?
Old 20-02-2017, 13:02   #5
S/V rubber ducky

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
$60 to $70?

My guess is based on
$22.55 slip - $24.13 because you need to pay VAT (tax)
$10 drinks, but don't know what drinks means, alcoholic? $ 19 not including tip)
$10 appetizer $18
$10 bread, buns lettuce and tomatoes $19.50

Add $10 cause I usually guess low

What is coconut water?
coconut water is water from a coconut, something to put in the rum that was $12-$15/bottle but for which the mixers were much more

So $84.12 today plus the $20 I spent for a week of WiFi to try out. Not the high life on $100/day ($3k/mo).

Having a good time, just putting out reality for consideration.
Old 20-02-2017, 13:24   #6
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Month 5 Expenses of Cruising and Living on the Boat

[QUOTE=sailorboy1;2329999]coconut water is water from a coconut, something to put in the rum that was $12-$15/bottle but for which the mixers were much more[QUOTE]

You can buy Coconut water in cans at Supermarkets.. one just the water and another brand has little chunks of Coconut in it.. price in SXM.. 75cents/330cl can.

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2017, 13:54   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I Googled it and found it, I've heard it called green coconut milk.
Interesting thing I read, if your Indian and real old, your relatives may use it to kill you
Old 20-02-2017, 14:13   #8
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Month 5 Expenses of Cruising and Living on the Boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
I Googled it and found it, I've heard it called green coconut milk.
Interesting thing I read, if your Indian and real old, your relatives may use it to kill you

The coconut milk is what you get when you crush the flesh of the green coconut.. however the water is something else..
Health benefits of coconut water
Coconut water is a very refreshing drink to beat the torching tropical summer thirst. Its liquid is packed with simple sugars, electrolytes, and minerals to replenish dehydration conditions inside the human body.
Research studies suggest that cytokinins (e.g., kinetin and trans-zeatin) in coconut water found to have significant anti-ageing, anti-carcinogenic, and anti-thrombotic (anti-clot formation) effects.
Coconut water is offered to patients with diarrhea in many tropic regions to replace the fluid loss from the gastrointestinal tract and to reduce the need for hospitalisation. The osmolarity of tender coconut water is slightly greater than that of WHO recommended ORS (Oral Rehydration Therapy) solution. The presence of other biological constituents like amino acids, enzymes, minerals, and fatty acids may account for this higher osmolarity. Nonetheless, unlike WHO-ORS, its water is very low in sodium and chlorides, but rich in sugars and amino acids. This well-balanced fluid composition, along with much-needed calories, would be an ideal drink instead of any other kind of soft drink beverages available in the markets to correct dehydration conditions.
Coconut water is composed of many naturally occurring bioactive enzymes such as acid phosphatase, catalase, dehydrogenase, diastase, peroxidase, RNA-polymerases, etc. In effect, these enzymes help in the digestion and metabolism.
Despite being very light in consistency, its water proportionately has better composition of minerals like calcium, iron, manganese, magnesium, and zinc than some of the fruit juices like oranges. (Compare the mineral composition of oranges).
Its liquid is also a an excellent source of the B-complex vitamins such as riboflavin, niacin, thiamin, pyridoxine, and folates. These vitamins are essential in the sense that the human body requires them from external sources to replenish.
Coconut water carries a good amount of electrolyte potassium. 100 ml of water has 250 mg of potassium and 105 mg of sodium. Together, these electrolytes help replenish electrolyte deficiency in the body due to diarrhea (loose stools).
Further, fresh coconut water has a small amount of vitamin-C (Ascorbic acid); It provides about 2.4 mg or 4% of RDA. Vitamin-C is a water-soluble antoxidant.

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2017, 14:48   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I think though being a person who has had high cholesterol forever, I have to stay away from anything having to do with coconuts, pity because I used to like busting them open and eating them
Old 20-02-2017, 15:30   #10

Boat: Catalina 42

Hey Sailorboy,
We're on Tilloo Cay, south of Hopetown. When you get down this far hail "Empty Pockets" and we'll come out to drink some of your rum and coconut water! Or use gin instead of rum, and get a little sweetened condensed milk to put in there to taste, and you have what some locals call "Sky Juice" or "Squidgle". Waaay tastier than you'd think...
What's the name of your boat?
Pete
Empty Pockets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2017, 15:48   #11
S/V rubber ducky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empty Pockets View Post
What's the name of your boat?
Pete
Rubber Ducky
Old 20-02-2017, 15:51   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post

The coconut milk is what you get when you crush the flesh of the green coconut.. however the water is something else..
Health benefits of coconut water
Coconut water is a very refreshing drink to beat the torching tropical summer thirst. Its liquid is packed with simple sugars, electrolytes, and minerals to replenish dehydration conditions inside the human body.
Research studies suggest that cytokinins (e.g., kinetin and trans-zeatin) in coconut water found to have significant anti-ageing, anti-carcinogenic, and anti-thrombotic (anti-clot formation) effects.
Coconut water is offered to patients with diarrhea in many tropic regions to replace the fluid loss from the gastrointestinal tract and to reduce the need for hospitalisation. The osmolarity of tender coconut water is slightly greater than that of WHO recommended ORS (Oral Rehydration Therapy) solution. The presence of other biological constituents like amino acids, enzymes, minerals, and fatty acids may account for this higher osmolarity. Nonetheless, unlike WHO-ORS, its water is very low in sodium and chlorides, but rich in sugars and amino acids. This well-balanced fluid composition, along with much-needed calories, would be an ideal drink instead of any other kind of soft drink beverages available in the markets to correct dehydration conditions.
Coconut water is composed of many naturally occurring bioactive enzymes such as acid phosphatase, catalase, dehydrogenase, diastase, peroxidase, RNA-polymerases, etc. In effect, these enzymes help in the digestion and metabolism.
Despite being very light in consistency, its water proportionately has better composition of minerals like calcium, iron, manganese, magnesium, and zinc than some of the fruit juices like oranges. (Compare the mineral composition of oranges).
Its liquid is also a an excellent source of the B-complex vitamins such as riboflavin, niacin, thiamin, pyridoxine, and folates. These vitamins are essential in the sense that the human body requires them from external sources to replenish.
Coconut water carries a good amount of electrolyte potassium. 100 ml of water has 250 mg of potassium and 105 mg of sodium. Together, these electrolytes help replenish electrolyte deficiency in the body due to diarrhea (loose stools).
Further, fresh coconut water has a small amount of vitamin-C (Ascorbic acid); It provides about 2.4 mg or 4% of RDA. Vitamin-C is a water-soluble antoxidant.

I drink coconut water here in Sevilla. I like it. Habit I picked up in Kerala many years ago... wunnerful stuff.
weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2017, 15:58   #13

Boat: SJ 21

[QUOTE=boatman61;2330067][FONT="Comic Sans MS"][SIZE="3"]
Health benefits of coconut water.....

Boatman do you just know this or do you have to look it up? I think sailors must have a lot of time for reading.
majones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2017, 16:11   #14
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
Rubber Ducky
Rubber Ducky???
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2017, 16:28   #15
S/V rubber ducky