Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-08-2019, 08:13   #1
S/V rubber ducky

Boat: Hunter 410
Month 35 Expenses of Cruising and Living on the Boat

Traveled from Pensacola Fl to Gulfport MS. Staying here till end of hurricane season as decided it was better to be in one spot with a plan than to be wandering around the hurricane zone.

Did grocery, beer and supply runs as normal.

Boat items included a holding tank vent filter, new seals for the freezer and refrigerator, a fan for the frig condenser, misc. fittings

A lot of fuel to travel west when all there is a west wind or no wind all the time. Plus started the month with a low tank and ended with a full tank. A lot of gas got used for the Honda for AC (well worth the cost)

Ate out a lot on the trip to Gulfport while sightseeing in Pensacola and when we got here (rebound from Carrabelle the month prior I guess).

Entertainment was some movies, a few Kindle books, and a prepay for a week timeshare in New Orleans later.

Communication was cell phones (with unlimited data we use to stream video and 50 GB each for hotspots) plus a yearly fee for a Microsoft pack that I couldn’t figure where else to put the cost down to.

Marina was for 2 months in a slip with power in Gulfport with liveaboard fee.

Transportation was for a week car rental with gas, public bus rides here in Gulfport, and 2 inexpensive bikes from Walmart.

The total expenses were $ 4,376.31. Cost breakdown as follows for planners and hecklers:

Food, soda, alcohol, clothing, sundries - $ 856.22
Boat upgrades, repairs, maintenance - $ 248.78
Fuel (diesel, gas, propane) - $ 229.19
Dining and drinking out - $ 812.59
Entertainment - $ 382.82
Communication, storage, shipping - $ 167.51
Fees – $ 67.03
Marina - $ 1018.85
Electric - $ 0
Medical - $ 5
Transportation - $ 593.12
Gifts - $ 0
Water - $ 0
Registration - $ 0
Insurance - $ 0
Attached Files
File Type: xls Money spent cruising.xls (56.5 KB, 242 views)
Old 17-08-2019, 08:58   #2

Boat: Bristol 29.9
Re: Month 35 Expenses of Cruising and Living on the Boat

Anything a/c related down there this time of year is definitely worth the cost! Good month.
Old 17-08-2019, 09:32   #3
cruiser

It’s been in the 90’s all month here in Greece and we don’t spend a single penny on air conditioning, because we always stay in free anchorages where it’s not necessary.

Life on €15 per day, you two... or rather four should check it out.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2019, 11:29   #4
S/V rubber ducky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
It’s been in the 90’s all month here in Greece and we don’t spend a single penny on air conditioning, because we always stay in free anchorages where it’s not necessary.

Life on €15 per day, you two... or rather four should check it out.
that's great yet somehow I don't see how the two relate

and PLEASE don't turn my thread in another of your budget misrepresentations
Old 17-08-2019, 12:44   #5
cruiser

I just seems to me you’d be more curious on how we’ve done Italy, Croatia, Montenegro and now Greece on €15-€20 per day. Not needing to stay in marinas with air con running 24/7 and dependent on land based fresh H2O does make a difference.

‘Just trying to help, nothing else meant by it.
Old 17-08-2019, 13:01   #6

Sailorboy, I always appreciate the information you share. Especially appreciate you add some thought process behind the numbers.
slowneasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2019, 13:14   #7
S/V rubber ducky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
I just seems to me you’d be more curious on how we’ve done Italy, Croatia, Montenegro and now Greece on €15-€20 per day. Not needing to stay in marinas with air con running 24/7 and dependent on land based fresh H2O does make a difference.

‘Just trying to help, nothing else meant by it.
Maybe if you posted a more detailed accounting of your boat costs you would be taken seriously. Meanwhile no one believes you cruise on $600 euros a month.
Old 17-08-2019, 13:16   #8

Boat: Nordhavn 72

Kenomac - you are comparing apples and oranges. You may be spending E15-20 per day on personal expenses (i.e. food) but there is no way you are running an Oyster (or any boat for that matter) on that much if you include all the maintenance expenses (e.g. sails, rigging, misc maintenance/repairs, haulouts, flights etc.) as Sailorboy is doing.
MV Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-08-2019, 22:52   #9
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by MV Alchemy View Post
Kenomac - you are comparing apples and oranges. You may be spending E15-20 per day on personal expenses (i.e. food) but there is no way you are running an Oyster (or any boat for that matter) on that much if you include all the maintenance expenses (e.g. sails, rigging, misc maintenance/repairs, haulouts, flights etc.) as Sailorboy is doing.
Through self sufficiency, solar, living in anchorages and in countries with a much lower cost to buy food, internet and phones services, fuel and eating out... we are living on €15-€20 euros per day. Includes cruising tax, insurance, food and general maintenance, eating out 3 time per week, and haul outs. The equipment onboard including sails are all new and paid for.... you should come over and try it.

BTW: My airfare is included at €15 per day, my wife brings it up to €20 on average due to her airfare.

You’re right... I am comparing apples to oranges. High cost marina living in the US vs low cost anchorage living in paradise.
Old 18-08-2019, 00:20   #10
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
Traveled from Pensacola Fl to Gulfport MS. Staying here till end of hurricane season as decided it was better to be in one spot with a plan than to be wandering around the hurricane zone.

Did grocery, beer and supply runs as normal.

Boat items included a holding tank vent filter, new seals for the freezer and refrigerator, a fan for the frig condenser, misc. fittings

A lot of fuel to travel west when all there is a west wind or no wind all the time. Plus started the month with a low tank and ended with a full tank. A lot of gas got used for the Honda for AC (well worth the cost)

Ate out a lot on the trip to Gulfport while sightseeing in Pensacola and when we got here (rebound from Carrabelle the month prior I guess).

Entertainment was some movies, a few Kindle books, and a prepay for a week timeshare in New Orleans later.

Communication was cell phones (with unlimited data we use to stream video and 50 GB each for hotspots) plus a yearly fee for a Microsoft pack that I couldn’t figure where else to put the cost down to.

Marina was for 2 months in a slip with power in Gulfport with liveaboard fee.

Transportation was for a week car rental with gas, public bus rides here in Gulfport, and 2 inexpensive bikes from Walmart.

The total expenses were $ 4,376.31. Cost breakdown as follows for planners and hecklers:

Food, soda, alcohol, clothing, sundries - $ 856.22. €225
Boat upgrades, repairs, maintenance - $ 248.78. €25
Fuel (diesel, gas, propane) - $ 229.19 €0
Dining and drinking out - $ 812.59 €300
Entertainment - $ 382.82 €25
Communication, storage, shipping - $ 167.51 €80
Fees – $ 67.03 €0
Marina - $ 1018.85 €0
Electric - $ 0 €0
Medical - $ 5 €0
Transportation - $ 593.12 €40 Uber/taxi.. we ride Brompton folding bikes
Gifts - $ 0
Water - $ 0€0
Registration - $ 0
Greek cruising tax and fees €125
Insurance - $ 0
You asked for it.... this is what our expenses looked like for July here in Greece. I went a little over this past month, it cost me €26.45 euros per day to live in paradise. €840 total divided by 31 days to live on a self-sufficient Oyster 53.

Total cost for diesel in Montenegro was €625 for the entire year, paid for back in June.
Old 18-08-2019, 07:32   #11
S/V rubber ducky

Ken you are a budget cruising God! Just look at all those $0 for categories. And just WOW you barely even eat. You should teach a class on how to live on a big Oyster in the Med at the same cost of a derelict boat bum in Florida. Heck those people on the falling apart boats in Florida on SS or disability could live like a king if anchored next to you. And your Oyster must be perfect and self healing to need so little maintenance on it. Ken you really need to fully share your amazing secrets with detailed monthly threads or maybe even a book. Heck I bet ChuckR who has been in the Med a few year could learn a few things so that he too could do it for only around 23% of his well detailed and recorded costs.

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ta-213259.html
Old 18-08-2019, 07:59   #12

Boat: Lagoon 400S2

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
Ken you are a budget cruising God! Just look at all those $0 for categories. And just WOW you barely even eat. You should teach a class on how to live on a big Oyster in the Med at the same cost of a derelict boat bum in Florida. Heck those people on the falling apart boats in Florida on SS or disability could live like a king if anchored next to you. And your Oyster must be perfect and self healing to need so little maintenance on it. Ken you really need to fully share your amazing secrets with detailed monthly threads or maybe even a book. Heck I bet ChuckR who has been in the Med a few year could learn a few things so that he too could do it for only around 23% of his well detailed and recorded costs.

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ta-213259.html
Itdepends on the accounting method I guess, we've been cruising for 4 months in the Med, SLO, HR, I, GR... if nothing breaks, no maintenance costs, costs will be there in the winter, when going to a livaboard marina. We do anchor and provisin maybe every second week or so. Insurances are payd on yearly base, except for health Insurances. Some monts are cheap, some expensive. You can average the TCO on the end of the year by dividing them to get the monthly average orshowing the yearly expenses.

Some costs will show up after years, like rigging or sails, some maybe even after 20years, like a new engine or sail drive, batteries or electronics. You cannot take this into account in the running costs yet.

Same for haul outs, we have copper coat and just wipe the bottom 3 or 4 times per year, no bottom paint for the next years intended, we will try to change the zincs in the water next year, but who knows, maybe we need to haul out for other reasons...

Greece was nice, the fees are not too bad, 1EUR per day eTEPAI. Croatia was much more expensive. Italy is even cheaper. I will post our costs after completing the first year. I am planning some maintenance during the winter, since some stuff needs attention and replacement, but is not critical for cruising yet.
Old 18-08-2019, 08:06   #13
S/V rubber ducky

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatNewBee View Post
Itdepends on the accounting method I guess,
Why???? You spent the money or you didn't.

BTW - my boat has maintenance costs even if nothing breaks
Old 18-08-2019, 08:10   #14

Boat: never mind...

Welcome to the 'sip! I live in Ocean Springs and teach in Gulfport. Have you visited the area before? If not:

Check out the Barrier Islands. Uninhabited natural islands that are a wonder to explore.

Check out the Walter Anderson Museum in Ocean Springs, where there's currently an exhibit on Univ of Memphis students 30+ years of camping trips to Horn Island.

George Ohr Museum, the crazy and way ahead of his time potter of Biloxi. The museum was designed by Frank Ghery.

Let me know if you need anything, though I'm sure there are far more resources where you are. Lots of good food down here, too!

p.s. the Maritime and Seafood Industry Museum currently has major displays of Hurricane Camille's 50th Anniversary, as well as the industry's long history on the coast.
iSaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2019, 08:10   #15

Boat: Rafiki 37

Ha! I can beat you all. This month’s expenditures are $11.95 for a museum, perhaps $32 for cell, and $45 for our inReach.

… always fun to watch these threads. Keep it up SB. And don’t mind Ken. In so many ways, he lives in an alternate universe.

Tags
boat, cruising