Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-01-2018, 06:10   #1
S/V rubber ducky

Boat: Hunter 410
Month 16 Expenses of Cruising and Living on the Boat

Still in Boot Key/Marathon on a mooring even though this wasn’t the plan. We were frugal this month, but we spent a lot of money. It was Christmas plus it was our daughter’s 30th birthday, both of which involved gifts and travel expenses (some aren’t going to show up till next month). I had medical testing a little while back and that resulted in paying yearly deductibles. Replaced our boat’s engine tach/hr. meter and start battery and some little small crap, and we paid this year’s boat insurance.

The total expenses were $6,652.25, but hey it was $900 less than this period last year. Cost breakdown as follows for those of you planning:

Food, soda, alcohol, clothing, sundries - $ 1,090.63
Boat upgrades, repairs, maintenance - $ 264.13
Fuel (diesel, gas, propane) - $ 24.52
Dining out - $ 601.99
Entertainment - $ 138.63
Communication, storage, shipping - $ 93.73
Fees – $ -27.12
Marina - $ 348.30
Electric - $ 0
Medical - $ 540.34
Transportation - $ 614.09
Gifts - $ 1,749.02
Insurance - $ 1,214.00
Old 18-01-2018, 06:24   #2

Boat: 53' Cutter
Re: Month 16 Expenses of Cruising and Living on the Boat

I was in Boot Key Harbor for 19 months when I was only supposed to have been there for 3 days (in the days before the mooring balls existed.) I have since visited that harbor with 4 different boats. But never have my monthly expenses exceeded about $1500, and that was while refitting a boat.

Some good friends ended their cruising in that Harbor because they were unable to live on their $2500 per month fixed income, and I was jealous they had such a large budget.

Best of luck on getting out of Marathon!
SailsWithFists is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2018, 06:31   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

I have discovered with just a little research, that things cost ten times what they did in 1973
Just kidding, but as I age it seems things cost way more than I think they ought to, we can’t go anywhere and not spend $100 it seems.
As kids while waiting to go into the Army, we lived on less than $300 a month, cause that was all I had.
That $300 then had likely the buying power of a couple of grand now. You can say there is no inflation all you want, but in 73 the average car cost $3,500 and the average house $35,000. Now it’s almost exactly ten times that.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2018, 07:04   #4

Boat: Pearson 33-2

Thanks again for putting this out there, Sailorboy. It's valuable information.
Fence Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2018, 07:24   #5
S/V rubber ducky

You know I could have played the budget thread “not counting” card this month and said we spent $2535. Bet I could even get below $2000 with a couple more doesn’t count accounting tricks. Just like I could say that it has only cost us about $5000 to cruise the past 12 months

In my planning spreadsheet for budgeting I have an inflation factor. It is kind of scarcy what that says my begainning monthly budget becomes in 15 years using that.
Old 18-01-2018, 07:35   #6

Boat: 53' Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
You know I could have played the budget thread “not counting” card this month and said we spent $2535. Bet I could even get below $2000 with a couple more doesn’t count accounting tricks. Just like I could say that it has only cost us about $5000 to cruise the past 12 months

In my planning spreadsheet for budgeting I have an inflation factor. It is kind of scarcy what that says my begainning monthly budget becomes in 15 years using that.
It all counts. Like you, I run spreadsheets to keep track. What started as $235 per month budget 20 years ago is now much more. There are always those unforeseen expenses that pop up: like when you lose your new 15hp Yamaha dingy engine in the Tongue of the Ocean, and need to dip into the emergency fund to pick up a replacement in Nassau. Or when your child takes a fall, resulting in a radial fracture of the Humerus requiring another dip into the e-fund. Then a relative passes and you need to fly back to the States.

It really is the average that counts in the end. But every dollar spent matters. You are doing everyone a service posting your expenses. Still, good luck escaping Marathon.
SailsWithFists is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2018, 08:13   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

I have been playing the not counting myself, as hopefully I won’t be replacing rigging, chainplates, new watermakers, Etc, etc.
January will be our first real month of how much does it cost to sustain, as opposed to how much does it cost to prepare.
Although I think it will be expensive months followed by cheaper ones as we tend to binge when stocking up on food.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2018, 08:13   #8

At least you are measuring your true costs, which is good. The first couple of years are usually the cheapest as your boat expenses are low because we all start out with a boat not needing much. Year 3 and one the boat expenses will rise. We also keep track of our expenses so it's always interesting to compare with others. Thanks for posting your monthly costs. R
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2018, 08:49   #9

Boat: 1978 Cabo Rico Tiburon 36 "Isabella"

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post

Yes, when you drill into it, still not bad!

I consider this not about what you can afford but about what it costs. You are providing valuable information to most of us.

thanks again sailorboy!
jhulmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2018, 08:58   #10

Boat: Catalina 22 - My first boat!!

Thanks for posting! I had no idea that insurance was so expensive. Of course I am on a trailer sailor so I am sure there is a big difference.

Can you please put me on your gift list?
kclancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2018, 09:09   #11

Boat: Freedom 30

Thank you so much for doing this. My wife and I are planning to retire and cruise full time in a few years and an honest accounting of costs helps allot.
Jaqun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2018, 09:33   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailsWithFists View Post
I was in Boot Key Harbor for 19 months when I was only supposed to have been there for 3 days (in the days before the mooring balls existed.) I have since visited that harbor with 4 different boats. But never have my monthly expenses exceeded about $1500, and that was while refitting a boat.

Some good friends ended their cruising in that Harbor because they were unable to live on their $2500 per month fixed income, and I was jealous they had such a large budget.

Best of luck on getting out of Marathon!
This is an ongoing series. Please go back and read through the entire series of threads. Those criticizing their lifestyle and financial choices are being collectively ignored. OR more accurately, 'being ignored by the collective'.

This is not a contest and nobody cares to hear how someone thinks they can do it better.

This has been hashed to death in previous posts.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2018, 09:55   #13

Boat: PSC Orion 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrew View Post
This is an ongoing series. Please go back and read through the entire series of threads. Those criticizing their lifestyle and financial choices are being collectively ignored. OR more accurately, 'being ignored by the collective'.

This is not a contest and nobody cares to hear how someone thinks they can do it better.

This has been hashed to death in previous posts.
I could easily do it for a 100 bucks less but then, I'm awesome. ;^)

Thanks again Don. More people appreciate your work than deride it. Hard as that is to believe sometimes.

goat
goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2018, 11:09   #14
S/V rubber ducky

Quote:
Originally Posted by goat View Post
I could easily do it for a 100 bucks less but then, I'm awesome. ;^
So could I, but I don’t want to
Old 18-01-2018, 11:25   #15
cruiser

Boat: 1989 Jeanneau Voyage 11.20

Sailorboy: Thanks for posting. I always love this post.

Question: Can I ask who you have your insurance with and what coverage do you have? That's a good price.
CaptsWife is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, cruising