Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-03-2015, 10:25   #16
Registered User

Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 4,877
Re: Mono or multi?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polux View Post
On most old monohull boats and on all new ones (RCD approved, since the 90's) the flooding angle is much higher than the one needed to have the mast in the water, so you can have the mast on the water and the water is not coming inside the boat no matter the main hatch to be closed or not.
The point is for every silly statement about catamarans being death traps, there is an equally silly statement about monos beign death traps.

I have an answer to your comment but that wasn't the point.
__________________

__________________
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2015, 10:41   #17
Registered User
 
Polux's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Portugal/Med
Boat: Comet 41s
Posts: 5,765
Re: Mono or multi?

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
The point is for every silly statement about catamarans being death traps, there is an equally silly statement about monos beign death traps.
..
I certainly agree wit that that's why I try to dismiss silly statements on both sides
__________________

Polux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2015, 11:18   #18
Registered User

Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 2,061
Re: Mono or multi?

Hey folks we're talking about a 10k budget! This isn't really about mono vs. multi, despite the OP's question: It's about whether he can get a safe ocean-ready boat capable of handing a storm or two.


I acknowledge that people have crossed oceans in rowboats, but I think if he found a decent hull for $0-5k he'd need to spend more than $10k to get a boat (any boat) to ocean-ready condition. It would also involve a lot of sweat equity. I don't think there's any such thing as an ocean crossing ready boat for $10k in sail away shape. Not mono, not multi. JMHO -- Yours may vary.
__________________
SailFastTri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2015, 11:53   #19
Registered User
 
Polux's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Portugal/Med
Boat: Comet 41s
Posts: 5,765
Re: Mono or multi?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailFastTri View Post
,,

I acknowledge that people have crossed oceans in rowboats, but I think if he found a decent hull for $0-5k he'd need to spend more than $10k to get a boat (any boat) to ocean-ready condition. It would also involve a lot of sweat equity. I don't think there's any such thing as an ocean crossing ready boat for $10k in sail away shape. Not mono, not multi. JMHO -- Yours may vary.
I certainly agree with that too.
Polux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2015, 12:16   #20
Registered User

Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 4,877
Re: Mono or multi?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailFastTri View Post
Hey folks we're talking about a 10k budget! This isn't really about mono vs. multi, despite the OP's question: It's about whether he can get a safe ocean-ready boat capable of handing a storm or two.

.
Actually, he never clarified what is "warmer climates"

If he is just looking to hop the channel on a calm day and take the inland route to the med, there are plenty of options as he doesn't need an offshore battlewagon.

If he's is talking Tahiti, you comment is spot on.
__________________

__________________
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Multi Guy, Looking for Mono Insight cbcat Monohull Sailboats 14 11-03-2010 12:11
Mono vs Multi meyermm Monohull Sailboats 66 28-05-2009 05:54
Multi- or Mono-hull for a Circumnavigation? Stella Polaris Multihull Sailboats 69 24-05-2008 10:57



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:23.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.