Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-02-2014, 22:40   #1

Boat: Riviera Excalibur 47
Mold - how to prevent it?

Our boat of 12 years is getting a little less use this year because my father in law used to get on board every week or so and air it out and now he can't. all of a sudden the lounges inside are starting to grow mold all over them. Any thoughts on the best way to prevent this?
madforboats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2014, 23:44   #2
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Re: Mold - how to prevent it?

If "lounges" means cushions and they're already moldy, get them off the boat and clean them now before it gets much worse.

You prevent mold by increasing airflow (add dorados or solar vents), removing moisture (might need another small bilge pump to get rid of small residue, or adding a goldenrod dehumidifier if you've got shore power) etc. Plenty of threads on that.

There are no miracle solutions, just the long standing ones, and if you can't get it warm, dry, with good airflow? You will have a mildew/mold problem. Which gets much harder to fix once it spreads.

If you make sure to stand up all cushions before you leave the boat, that allows greater airflow around them, which also discourages moisture and mildew.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2014, 02:38   #3

Boat: Hanse 385

Are there any 12volt low power dehumidifiers? What about the silicon gel type products do they work?

Regards,
Simon
simonpickard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2014, 03:54   #4
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
You prevent mold by increasing airflow (add dorados or solar vents),
Leaving a Dorado in the boat for a couple of weeks may kill mold but will also kill anyone who boards or at least render them unconcious
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DORADO.jpg
Views:	244
Size:	69.0 KB
ID:	76462  
Old 20-02-2014, 04:02   #5

Boat: 47' Olympic Adventure

Sail Delmarva: Borax: Stopping Mildew and Rot on the Cheap... and How the EPA Can Make Everything Complicated

White vinegar is good for cleaning and getting rid of the mould smell.
Lodesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2014, 04:38   #6

Boat: Morgan 383

I love the picture of the dorado/mahi mahi. We're headed for the Bahamas and hope to catch one.

Re: Mold. If you are at a dock that has AC power, consider placing a dehumidifier on board. Place it high enough to run the condensate into a sink drain. The other suggestions regarding ventilation with a DORADE vent (OK, a dorade is also a kind of fish....) and cleaning solutions need to be incorporated as the PRIMARY solution. You've got to kill the mold spores.
Dale Hedtke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2014, 04:55   #7
Marine Service Provider

We lived aboard for almost twenty years and my wife has life threatening allergies (including mold). We simply could not afford high humidity. We ran two Heaven Fresh 300C air purifiers 24/7 ... they include UV filter, Hepa filter, Charcoal filter, ion generation and ozone generation all in one compact unit. Of course the ozone was only turned on when we were not onboard. Never had any boat smell or mold. Our boat was 43'. Smaller boat could get a way with one unit.
Old 20-02-2014, 04:55   #8

Boat: Traditional 30

Aside from adding some sort of pelagic fish as others have joked about, you could also add a couple of cheap solar vents to the companionway. But nothing will do as good a job as actually opening the hatches and using the boat regularly.

Btw the Dorado was a typo for the word Dorade, which is a great style of vent in all weathers. Though serious consideration has to made regarding their placement to prevent lines getting tangled around them.

http://www.mailspeedmarine.com/photo...10526645_1.jpg
http://www.planetmarine.com.au/image...LE-500x500.JPG
ozskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2014, 04:59   #9

Boat: contessa 32

Open up your boat as much as possible. Am always amazed to see boats in a safe marina sealed up and locked tight. Now add hot sun beating down from above and water in bilges and the warm moist air generated will create the hothouse that mold love. I leave companionway hatch open under dodger and leave hatches ajar even at the cost of an occasional raindrop entering. Air circulation is the key here in the humid NE US.
I use a spray bottle with chlorox solution to spray into those areas that cannot be wiped down directly with the same solution and have few fabrics stored aboard and little of value that can be removed by any intruder. I am in a state marina when am in my home waters and it is safe and well patrolled ,so I can can be casual regarding leaving my boat open and of course when cruising I am aboard so intruders are not an issue (I keep my harpoon handy)
Mold is a trigger for an asthma condition that I have been hospitalized for so I have to be extra vigilant or take up golf.
Do I still have mold in the dark recesses of my bilges ? O yeah but I stay ahead of it.
Dem molds ain't scared of no harpoons.
mrohr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2014, 10:02   #10

Boat: Colombia Cc 11.8
On the thread "help too cold...." there is a home made formula that practical sailor rated highly. Sorry I don't know how to link with my smartphone
sparrowhawk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2014, 19:49   #11

Boat: Pearson 30 Hull #796

I was told over at the Sailnet forums that mold is a myth and doesn't exist on boats.

Needless to say, I think I'm done with that group over there.
TerryDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2014, 19:56   #12

Boat: Makela,Ingrid38,Idora

Pool salt........about 40lbs will do it. Kills mold mildew all of it. Things already ruined cannot be saved but the beast can be tamed.
IdoraKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2014, 20:02   #13
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerryDay View Post
I was told over at the Sailnet forums that mold is a myth and doesn't exist on boats.

Needless to say, I think I'm done with that group over there.
No, your denial that mold was a health hazard and your statement that mold was a reality in all boats was denounced as a myth.
Old 21-02-2014, 21:44   #14

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

White vinegar for washing...Clove oli mixed with water in a spay bottle to keep things fresh and mold free.
Use the search feature on the forum. This topic has been covered many times.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-02-2014, 22:04   #15

Boat: 52' Crealock Farrington staysail schooner

There is a new marina in Phoenis Ariz that is very low humidity and might solve your mould issues. I think except for the stuff that grows in the bilge with diesel the rest smells kind of like pachouli and reminds me of my yout.
barnaclejim is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mold