Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-12-2014, 19:05   #16

Boat: Monk 36
Re: Moisture under the mattress?!?

I ordered a roll of this stuff, in the 0.75" thickness. I have it under my mattresses and intend to put it in the bottom of all lockers, etc, where stuff sits. If I remember correctly, it was about USD 150. It's made for the construction industry so it does not have "boat" and therefore a whole lot cheaper than similar.
Cut it with a scissors.
http://www.keenebuilding.com/media/d...plate-2014.pdf
dpddj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2014, 19:30   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya
Re: Moisture under the mattress?!?

There are two distinct solutions to this problem and those with the most success use both.

Ventilation - This solution keeps a space for air flow beneath the matress. Moist air that would accumulate moisture on the hull is kept moving.

Insulation - Warmer moist air is prevented from coming into contact with the cold inner side of the hull where water would condense.

I find more success with the insulation method and recommend a half inch layer of the Owens-Corning pink 4'x8' high R-factor foam board being cut and/or fit to the inner hull with a tight seal of construction adhesive.

The best cure uses both strategies!
Old 22-12-2014, 20:01   #18

Boat: Celestial 48
Re: Moisture under the Mattress!

Use Dri-Dek tiles and no problems. I would assume very cold climates would be a bigger challenge.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	dri-dek-blue-vinyl-interlocking-drainage-floor-tile-12-x-12-9-16-thick.jpg
Views:	1500
Size:	76.9 KB
ID:	94146  
Dennis.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2014, 20:01   #19

Boat: Liberty 458

Hypervent under your mattress and between any points where your mattress contacts the hull is the first step. Just google it. We've found it much better than the platic tiles due to the breathable membrane.

We also have a 15W 110V AC strip heater under both our stateroom berths. We have small 12V computer fans strategically located to ensure we ventilate the moist air that accumulates in the area below our berths from condensation and exhalation. They run when we're not sleeping to deliver about 10 air changes each day.

We also ensure any areas where moisture can accumulate drain to the bilge. Tea tree oil on dryer sheets ensures mold can't grow.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
leftbrainstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2014, 21:34   #20

Boat: Cape Dory 33

We've used an open mesh product under our mattresses that worked really well. I think the one we used was called Dry-Weave or Dry-Mesh or something like that, but looking for it now I don't see it. However, I did see this stuff and it looks like exactly the same thing.

HyperVent Marine - Product Information

We purchased ours at Downwind Marine in San Diego. You might call them at (888) 279-7012. They are some of the nicest, most helpful people you could ever want to deal with. If they no longer have it I'm sure they could tell you what it is and point you in the right direction.
Old 23-12-2014, 08:13   #21

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42

We have also had good results with HyperVent. Using for 5 years now, last year as full time live aboard.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Tayana42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2014, 08:21   #22
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 36-1
Send a message via Skype™ to George DuBose

I have the same problem with condensation under the mattress that I was sleeping on. Some yacht manufacturers DON'T paint or varnish the wood under the mattresses and have 1/2"-1" holes bored in the wood that supports the mattress to make ventilation easier.

I have also seen plastic matting in large sizes that is used to prevent soil erosion, it is mildew resistant.

Adding anything under the mattress, raises it and may cause the mattress to be too high for the fiddles.

You can always turn the mattress over to air dry.
George DuBose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2014, 15:14   #23

Location: The boat - New Bern, NC, USA; Us - Kingsport, TN, USA
Boat: 1988 Pacific Seacraft 34

Could I put a sheet of plastic under the sheets to keep my sweating moisture from getting to the mattress in the first place and then forgo all the other fixes? I could perhaps use a piece of shower curtain plastic that is not 'crinkly'.
wsmurdoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2014, 15:37   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsmurdoch View Post
Could I put a sheet of plastic under the sheets to keep my sweating moisture from getting to the mattress in the first place and then forgo all the other fixes? I could perhaps use a piece of shower curtain plastic that is not 'crinkly'.
Yes, bring shampoo and you can save water... just shampoo up in bed while you are soaking wet the next am....

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2014, 18:05   #25

Location: The boat - New Bern, NC, USA; Us - Kingsport, TN, USA
Boat: 1988 Pacific Seacraft 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
Yes, bring shampoo and you can save water... just shampoo up in bed while you are soaking wet the next am....
But, I've only halved the area that the moisture can pass through. It can still go up. Would it really make that much of a difference?

What about boats with naugahyde covers on their interior cushions? (Naugahyde came before Herculon.)

We used to make the kids sleep with plastic under their sheets as they made the transition to fully pottie trained. I don't remember them complaining in the morning or remember finding them excessivly wet (without a clear reason).
wsmurdoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2014, 18:16   #26

Boat: Challenger 32

I recently got a quote for the Hypervent for my V berth on a 32' sailboat - i will be about $165. I'm probably going to go with that on top of the Froli system b/c I need better back support anyway. Perhaps the both are overkill...have to think about that.
dbSail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2014, 19:39   #27

Quote:
You need air gaps and air flow. Plastic sheets will trap moisture and the mold will explode.

Airflow and reducing humidity are what is needed.

Old 23-12-2014, 19:40   #28

Quote:
But, I've only halved the area that the moisture can pass through. It can still go up. Would it really make that much of a difference?

What about boats with naugahyde covers on their interior cushions? (Naugahyde came before Herculon.)

We used to make the kids sleep with plastic under their sheets as they made the transition to fully pottie trained. I don't remember them complaining in the morning or remember finding them excessivly wet (without a clear reason).
Have you recently slept on either a vinyl mattress or a plastic sheet? It's horrible.

Old 24-12-2014, 07:30   #29

Boat: Cape Dory 33

Quote:

if you're talking about in a house, you just don't have the same condensation issues in a house that you have in a boat. Damp, clammy bedding is no fun. Go with the ventilation. You'll be happy you did.
Old 09-01-2015, 17:37   #30

EMP mattress ventilation underlay. Fabulous.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Teeto is offline   Reply With Quote