Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-10-2012, 04:36   #31

Boat: Van De Stadt Excalibur 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Bluewaters2812
Re: Missing Anything?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCSavage View Post
I was like that, then my phone network offered me a free iPad with my contract so I figured I could sell it on eBay if I didn't like it.......a year later my iPadis used more than my phone and laptop combined!
I promise to be a good lad and submit to trying the Ipad at some stage lol. I hate cellphones and only use them when I really have to and then only for calls. I can't stand using them for the internet.
Bluewaters2812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2012, 05:18   #32

Boat: a sailing boat

I do not miss any stuff left behind. In fact, I still find we have too many possessions now living in our tiny shell of a boat.

But I do miss some of the landscapes, sensations, etc. - snow in the high mountains, doughnuts in that little cafe, etc..

Guess there is no way we can have everything we crave, at once. Typical human condition.

So I say 'go cruising' but make sure your wallet is thick enough (or your cruising grounds close in enough) so that now and then you can take a holiday from your cruising holidays.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2012, 05:25   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel
I do not miss any stuff left behind. In fact, I still find we have too many possessions now living in our tiny shell of a boat.

But I do miss some of the landscapes, sensations, etc. - snow in the high mountains, doughnuts in that little cafe, etc..

Guess there is no way we can have everything we crave, at once. Typical human condition.

So I say 'go cruising' but make sure your wallet is thick enough (or your cruising grounds close in enough) so that now and then you can take a holiday from your cruising holidays.

b.
You can see snow capped mountains from your boat, just sail to Japan! Landscapes look amazing from the sea, take a look at the white cliffs of Dover! Donuts? Buy a donut maker lol
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” – Mark Twain
NYCSavage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2012, 06:06   #34

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCSavage View Post
You can see snow capped mountains from your boat, just sail to Japan! Landscapes look amazing from the sea, take a look at the white cliffs of Dover! Donuts? Buy a donut maker lol
With me, it is not about seeing the mountains from afar, it is about being in the snow, tired with the climb, but damn oh so full of inexplicable joy! Sort of like sailing.

And the donuts - yes, I can make some onboard, but I cannot recreate the ambient of that cafe. Well, at least not when we are pitching & rolling.

I think there are so many amazing things to taste and do in life. A shame we only live once.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2012, 06:13   #35
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

ditched 2 storage units FULL of STUFF for apartments and houses(furniture, plates, trunks of awesome clothing,lol--many things). do not miss any of it. not going back into land spaces to live--been living aboard since 1990---when i left san diego i threw everything in the rental unit into dumpster and left.
NO, I MISS NOTHING!!!
things might just be more expensive, but that expense doesnt justify the mebbe when and high rental on the unit--the price of anything will become moot after a few years of paying or something that is not in use for howevermanyyears .... i dont use it-i dont need it.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2012, 01:08   #36

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
...... been living aboard since 1990---when i left san diego i threw everything in the rental unit into dumpster and left.
NO, I MISS NOTHING!!! ......
Well, if something hasn't been missed for 20 years then I guess its not likely going to ever happen. I feel the same way now although it has only been five years (except for that washing machine of course LOL, particularly with winter coming up).

Well, so far no one has really come up with much missed. It really does make me wonder about all the time spent accumulating stuff and upgrading homes to store it all in. Could have been cruising a lot earlier (well, at least a little) if this hadn't been the case! I think the more we have the harder it is to let go as well, so it is a double bind.

Unveiling Bullseye strops for low friction rings
Seaworthy Lass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2012, 05:38   #37

Boat: Pearson 323 - Island Breezes

Having been in Florida for over 10 years I'm missing the change of seasons. But that's solvable just by taking the boat up north. At some point I'd like to do some land touring out west. See some mountain country and so on. But the boat can easily be stored on the hard while I do that for a year or two while I travel.
LauderBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2012, 09:30   #38
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauderBoy View Post
Having been in Florida for over 10 years I'm missing the change of seasons.................
............Having been raised in Ft. Lauderdale and living in Florida for over sixty years I would miss the seasons too. Those would be the Afternoon Thunderstorm Season, Tourist Season, Hurricane Season, Lovebug Season, the Smoke from the Burning Everglades Season and the exciting It Might Get Cold Enough to See Your Breath Season. Some of these overlap, but they all have their distinct features. I spent one year living north and I found I really missed the seasons.
Old 24-10-2012, 09:36   #39

Boat: In the hunt again, unknown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluewaters2812 View Post
Thanks, I need to do a bit of research on which ebook reader to get and will maybe consider one as a a Christmas gift to my wife lol. Or perhaps a birthday present. I am not very creative when it comes to buying presents I'm afraid.
I bought an Asus Transformer t-300 tablet and optional keyboard dock. I have kindle (app), audiobooks (app), and marine navigator (app) on it. I downloaded kindle on it and found a great place to get free kindle books. Not only do I have a netbook, but an e-reader and back up chart plotter (free) that lets me use NOAA nav charts (free) and the tablet's GPS. I couldn't be happier.

I'm sure there are others that do the same thing, but I like mine fine.

Though I do like a desk top computer, little big for boat use.
Khagan1227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2012, 09:36   #40

sometimes, when my aging brain forgets how bludi cold it was, i kinda miss the beauty of the changing seasons in upstate, ny and new england---
but isnt too long before someone who actually still resides there posts a pic of that in fb or somewhere and i no longer feel the urge to torment my self with the actual adventure of re-acquainting myself with the region , in person...
Old 24-10-2012, 10:36   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khagan1227 View Post
I bought an Asus Transformer t-300 tablet and optional keyboard dock. I have kindle (app), audiobooks (app), and marine navigator (app) on it. I downloaded kindle on it and found a great place to get free kindle books. Not only do I have a netbook, but an e-reader and back up chart plotter (free) that lets me use NOAA nav charts (free) and the tablet's GPS. I couldn't be happier.

I'm sure there are others that do the same thing, but I like mine fine.

Though I do like a desk top computer, little big for boat use.
I will have a look at it thanks.
Old 24-10-2012, 10:38   #42

It was a relief to not have all those things... now I have them again! arghhh.....

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2012, 11:03   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
sometimes, when my aging brain forgets how bludi cold it was, i kinda miss the beauty of the changing seasons in upstate, ny and new england---
but isnt too long before someone who actually still resides there posts a pic of that in fb or somewhere and i no longer feel the urge to torment my self with the actual adventure of re-acquainting myself with the region , in person...
The only time we want to see cold is when it is snowing and we are on a mountain with our ski boots and gear.
Old 26-10-2012, 01:00   #44

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailorman375 View Post
hot tub
No need to miss a hot tub when sailing! This shot was taken late yesterday. Natural hot springs from geothermal activity - shallow, but perfect temperature with a clean sandy bottom (the tub not me LOL). Had a couple of hours here
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	01b1619fefb2eb5833da697562c26c05_zpsd61e97de.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	288.0 KB
ID:	48800  

Unveiling Bullseye strops for low friction rings
Seaworthy Lass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2012, 04:18   #45

the water in pacific ocean here is over 85 degerees--no need for a hot tub....