Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-10-2012, 02:16   #16

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer 49
Re: Missing Anything?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluewaters2812 View Post
My wife enjoys her book reading ... me, I don't ever read fiction, only non-fiction. I know she is reluctant to "get into" an ebook reader and enjoys her "paperbacks". I am surmising this might need to change. As far as anything else goes ... I know there is absolutely nothing I will miss as far as material possessions go. It is liberating getting rid of the "stuff" at the moment. I guess that I might need to get an ebook reader too but then again I don't know how much non-fiction is available electronically?

Heaps of non-fiction is available electronically if you mean biographies, history etc. Not so sure about technical books.

Your wife may change her mind after she uses an e-reader for the first time. I was a bit like her, but am a total convert (still haven't lived this down LOL). It is not just the convenience, I actually prefer reading this way now.

I have downloaded around 500 books on my Kindle (it will take about 3000 I think). Most were free from Guttenberg, some from Amazon. I have sorted them all into about 20 collections and so they are dead easy to access. Its the very best small item I have ever purchased (well, nearly ).

Unveiling Bullseye strops for low friction rings
Seaworthy Lass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2012, 02:22   #17

A kindle is amazing, I bought one for my missus last Christmas and she has slowly started getting into it recently.

Books can be downloaded for free (if you know where to look ) and you can also download PDF files so it expands the choice in "non-fiction" technical books. I bought her the 3G model, costs a little more but you don't need a computer to get new books, great if your sailing.
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” – Mark Twain
NYCSavage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2012, 02:25   #18

Boat: Van De Stadt Excalibur 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Bluewaters2812

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaworthy Lass View Post
Heaps of non-fiction is available electronically if you mean biographies, history etc. Not so sure about technical books.

Your wife may change her mind after she uses an e-reader for the first time. I was a bit like her, but am a total convert (still haven't lived this down LOL). It is not just the convenience, I actually prefer reading this way now.

I have downloaded around 500 books on my Kindle (it will take about 3000 I think). Most were free from Guttenberg, some from Amazon. I have sorted them all into about 20 collections and so they are dead easy to access. Its the very best small item I have ever purchased (well, nearly ).
For me it is a question of technical books more than history (unless 2nd world war history) or biographies. Generally things about sailing/aeroplanes or other adventure-like stuff is what I like.
Bluewaters2812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2012, 02:30   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCSavage View Post
A kindle is amazing, I bought one for my missus last Christmas and she has slowly started getting into it recently.

Books can be downloaded for free (if you know where to look ) and you can also download PDF files so it expands the choice in "non-fiction" technical books. I bought her the 3G model, costs a little more but you don't need a computer to get new books, great if your sailing.
Thanks, I need to do a bit of research on which ebook reader to get and will maybe consider one as a a Christmas gift to my wife lol. Or perhaps a birthday present. I am not very creative when it comes to buying presents I'm afraid.
Old 23-10-2012, 02:41   #20

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
For me it is a question of technical books more than history (unless 2nd world war history) or biographies. Generally things about sailing/aeroplanes or other adventure-like stuff is what I like.

Masses of sailing biographies/autobiographies (old and new). Lots on WWII as well too. Check out:
Amazon.com: world war 2 history books for kindle: Kindle Store

Old 23-10-2012, 03:05   #21

Quote:
Masses of sailing biographies/autobiographies (old and new). Lots on WWII as well too. Check out:
Amazon.com: world war 2 history books for kindle: Kindle Store
Thanks for that link. I have had a look at it and will definitely have a look at an ebook reader over the next month or so. Just need to see which one I guess.
Old 23-10-2012, 03:15   #22

I wouldn't go for the kobi, or the levano, unfortunately it's a case of you get what you pay for.

The kindle is great, my wife uses it. I have an iPad and have downloaded the kindle app for it and so I use my iPad as my e-reader. So if money is no object, get an iPad,you can use it as an e reader and a chart plotter and even watch films on it. If money is tight, the kindle is a quarter of the price but you are limited to its functions
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” – Mark Twain
Old 23-10-2012, 03:25   #23

Quote:
I wouldn't go for the kobi, or the levano, unfortunately it's a case of you get what you pay for.

The kindle is great, my wife uses it. I have an iPad and have downloaded the kindle app for it and so I use my iPad as my e-reader. So if money is no object, get an iPad,you can use it as an e reader and a chart plotter and even watch films on it. If money is tight, the kindle is a quarter of the price but you are limited to its functions
I think that if I think of my wife here, I would probably opt for the Kindle Fire HD. She would only be using it for reading and perhaps a Skype to Skype call to our daughters occasionally. She would not be interested in using it for chart plotting. I am the gadget geek lol. I am very interested in electronic chart plotters (as well as paper charts) so I would probably ensure that I have something different to do the chart plotting with. I would also want Skype to Skype calling as a function somewhere.
Old 23-10-2012, 03:30   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluewaters2812

I think that if I think of my wife here, I would probably opt for the Kindle Fire HD. She would only be using it for reading and perhaps a Skype to Skype call to our daughters occasionally. She would not be interested in using it for chart plotting. I am the gadget geek lol. I am very interested in electronic chart plotters (as well as paper charts) so I would probably ensure that I have something different to do the chart plotting with. I would also want Skype to Skype calling as a function somewhere.
Then get the kindle for her and ipad for you
Old 23-10-2012, 03:40   #25

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Or get her both, one for Christmas and one for her birthday . The Kindle with its e-ink technology is FAR superior for reading outdoors and it is lighter and easier to use and uses much less power (the last is a big consideration for me, particularly in winter). I read with this just about exclusively outdoors. It synchs with the iPad if the Kindle wifi is turned on, so I can easily go from reading on the Kindle to reading on the iPad without needing to find the spot I am up to. The iPad is better inside when power is less of a concern, as I can instantly swap between internet and emails and Skype and reading and it doesn't need any additional lighting (the Kindle does at night).

Old 23-10-2012, 03:50   #26

Quote:
Lol, I am not Rockefeller ... I am the other feller. Jokes aside I am not sold on the Ipad type equipment yet. I still prefer a laptop? Maybe I am senile or just a bit slow to grasp the need for an Ipad-like device?
Old 23-10-2012, 03:51   #27

Quote:
Or get her both, one for Christmas and one for her birthday . The Kindle with its e-ink technology is FAR superior for reading outdoors and it is lighter and easier to use and uses much less power (the last is a big consideration for me, particularly in winter). I read with this just about exclusively outdoors. It synchs with the iPad if the Kindle wifi is turned on, so I can easily go from reading on the Kindle to reading on the iPad without needing to find the spot I am up to. The iPad is better inside when power is less of a concern, as I can instantly swap between internet and emails and Skype and reading and it doesn't need any additional lighting (the Kindle does at night).
What if this "other feller" (not Rockefeller) got her the Kindle Fire HD and for himself stuck with a laptop?
Old 23-10-2012, 04:01   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluewaters2812

Lol, I am not Rockefeller ... I am the other feller. Jokes aside I am not sold on the Ipad type equipment yet. I still prefer a laptop? Maybe I am senile or just a bit slow to grasp the need for an Ipad-like device?
I was like that, then my phone network offered me a free iPad with my contract so I figured I could sell it on eBay if I didn't like it.......a year later my iPadis used more than my phone and laptop combined!
Old 23-10-2012, 04:08   #29

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
You'll quickly see the advantage of an iPad when cruising. Power draw is a fraction of a laptop (even my old tiny netbook). It doubles as a spare chartplotter with maps (eg Navionics) a fraction of the price of chips for the plotter. The navigation apps are brilliant. I use Navionics for maps (including plotting routes), GPS for additional data on speed etc, Shipfinder for AIS data (doesnt pick them all up, but better than nothing). I also installed DragQueen for a dragging alarm, but havent needed it yet as our small Furuno is on permanently at anchor with an alarm set.

If you a "gadget geek" as you say, you will think all your Christmases have come at once using one

Old 23-10-2012, 04:29   #30

Quote:
You'll quickly see the advantage of an iPad when cruising. Power draw is a fraction of a laptop (even my old tiny netbook). It doubles as a spare chartplotter with maps (eg Navionics) a fraction of the price of chips for the plotter. The navigation apps are brilliant. I use Navionics for maps (including plotting routes), GPS for additional data on speed etc, Shipfinder for AIS data (doesnt pick them all up, but better than nothing). I also installed DragQueen for a dragging alarm, but havent needed it yet as our small Furuno is on permanently at anchor with an alarm set.

If you a "gadget geek" as you say, you will think all your Christmases have come at once usi g one
Ah, ok, I see the first good reason to use the Ipad rather than a laptop (battery power draw), tks.