Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-10-2012, 03:16   #16
Moderator
 
Seaworthy Lass's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Oct 2008
Boat: Aluminium cutter rigged sloop
Posts: 12,819
Re: Missing Anything?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluewaters2812 View Post
My wife enjoys her book reading ... me, I don't ever read fiction, only non-fiction. I know she is reluctant to "get into" an ebook reader and enjoys her "paperbacks". I am surmising this might need to change. As far as anything else goes ... I know there is absolutely nothing I will miss as far as material possessions go. It is liberating getting rid of the "stuff" at the moment. I guess that I might need to get an ebook reader too but then again I don't know how much non-fiction is available electronically?


Heaps of non-fiction is available electronically if you mean biographies, history etc. Not so sure about technical books.

Your wife may change her mind after she uses an e-reader for the first time. I was a bit like her, but am a total convert (still haven't lived this down LOL). It is not just the convenience, I actually prefer reading this way now.

I have downloaded around 500 books on my Kindle (it will take about 3000 I think). Most were free from Guttenberg, some from Amazon. I have sorted them all into about 20 collections and so they are dead easy to access. Its the very best small item I have ever purchased (well, nearly ).
__________________

__________________
"The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears or the sea." Isak Dinesen
"To me the simple act of tying a knot is an adventure in unlimited space." Clifford Ashley
Seaworthy Lass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2012, 03:22   #17
Registered User
 
NYCSavage's Avatar

Join Date: May 2010
Location: Liverpool, UK
Posts: 266
Images: 2
A kindle is amazing, I bought one for my missus last Christmas and she has slowly started getting into it recently.

Books can be downloaded for free (if you know where to look ) and you can also download PDF files so it expands the choice in "non-fiction" technical books. I bought her the 3G model, costs a little more but you don't need a computer to get new books, great if your sailing.
__________________

__________________
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” – Mark Twain
NYCSavage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2012, 03:25   #18
Registered User
 
Bluewaters2812's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Cruising
Boat: Not a Beneteau!
Posts: 911
Images: 1
Send a message via Skype™ to Bluewaters2812
Re: Missing Anything?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaworthy Lass View Post
Heaps of non-fiction is available electronically if you mean biographies, history etc. Not so sure about technical books.

Your wife may change her mind after she uses an e-reader for the first time. I was a bit like her, but am a total convert (still haven't lived this down LOL). It is not just the convenience, I actually prefer reading this way now.

I have downloaded around 500 books on my Kindle (it will take about 3000 I think). Most were free from Guttenberg, some from Amazon. I have sorted them all into about 20 collections and so they are dead easy to access. Its the very best small item I have ever purchased (well, nearly ).
For me it is a question of technical books more than history (unless 2nd world war history) or biographies. Generally things about sailing/aeroplanes or other adventure-like stuff is what I like.
__________________
Bluewaters2812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2012, 03:30   #19
Registered User
 
Bluewaters2812's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Cruising
Boat: Not a Beneteau!
Posts: 911
Images: 1
Send a message via Skype™ to Bluewaters2812
Re: Missing Anything?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCSavage View Post
A kindle is amazing, I bought one for my missus last Christmas and she has slowly started getting into it recently.

Books can be downloaded for free (if you know where to look ) and you can also download PDF files so it expands the choice in "non-fiction" technical books. I bought her the 3G model, costs a little more but you don't need a computer to get new books, great if your sailing.
Thanks, I need to do a bit of research on which ebook reader to get and will maybe consider one as a a Christmas gift to my wife lol. Or perhaps a birthday present. I am not very creative when it comes to buying presents I'm afraid.
__________________
Bluewaters2812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2012, 03:41   #20
Moderator
 
Seaworthy Lass's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Oct 2008
Boat: Aluminium cutter rigged sloop
Posts: 12,819
Re: Missing Anything?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluewaters2812 View Post
For me it is a question of technical books more than history (unless 2nd world war history) or biographies. Generally things about sailing/aeroplanes or other adventure-like stuff is what I like.

Masses of sailing biographies/autobiographies (old and new). Lots on WWII as well too. Check out:
Amazon.com: world war 2 history books for kindle: Kindle Store
__________________
"The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears or the sea." Isak Dinesen
"To me the simple act of tying a knot is an adventure in unlimited space." Clifford Ashley
Seaworthy Lass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2012, 04:05   #21
Registered User
 
Bluewaters2812's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Cruising
Boat: Not a Beneteau!
Posts: 911
Images: 1
Send a message via Skype™ to Bluewaters2812
Re: Missing Anything?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaworthy Lass View Post
Masses of sailing biographies/autobiographies (old and new). Lots on WWII as well too. Check out:
Amazon.com: world war 2 history books for kindle: Kindle Store
Thanks for that link. I have had a look at it and will definitely have a look at an ebook reader over the next month or so. Just need to see which one I guess.
__________________
Bluewaters2812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2012, 04:15   #22
Registered User
 
NYCSavage's Avatar

Join Date: May 2010
Location: Liverpool, UK
Posts: 266
Images: 2
I wouldn't go for the kobi, or the levano, unfortunately it's a case of you get what you pay for.

The kindle is great, my wife uses it. I have an iPad and have downloaded the kindle app for it and so I use my iPad as my e-reader. So if money is no object, get an iPad,you can use it as an e reader and a chart plotter and even watch films on it. If money is tight, the kindle is a quarter of the price but you are limited to its functions
__________________
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” – Mark Twain
NYCSavage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2012, 04:25   #23
Registered User
 
Bluewaters2812's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Cruising
Boat: Not a Beneteau!
Posts: 911
Images: 1
Send a message via Skype™ to Bluewaters2812
Re: Missing Anything?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCSavage View Post
I wouldn't go for the kobi, or the levano, unfortunately it's a case of you get what you pay for.

The kindle is great, my wife uses it. I have an iPad and have downloaded the kindle app for it and so I use my iPad as my e-reader. So if money is no object, get an iPad,you can use it as an e reader and a chart plotter and even watch films on it. If money is tight, the kindle is a quarter of the price but you are limited to its functions
I think that if I think of my wife here, I would probably opt for the Kindle Fire HD. She would only be using it for reading and perhaps a Skype to Skype call to our daughters occasionally. She would not be interested in using it for chart plotting. I am the gadget geek lol. I am very interested in electronic chart plotters (as well as paper charts) so I would probably ensure that I have something different to do the chart plotting with. I would also want Skype to Skype calling as a function somewhere.
__________________
Bluewaters2812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2012, 04:30   #24
Registered User
 
NYCSavage's Avatar

Join Date: May 2010
Location: Liverpool, UK
Posts: 266
Images: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluewaters2812

I think that if I think of my wife here, I would probably opt for the Kindle Fire HD. She would only be using it for reading and perhaps a Skype to Skype call to our daughters occasionally. She would not be interested in using it for chart plotting. I am the gadget geek lol. I am very interested in electronic chart plotters (as well as paper charts) so I would probably ensure that I have something different to do the chart plotting with. I would also want Skype to Skype calling as a function somewhere.
Then get the kindle for her and ipad for you
__________________
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” – Mark Twain
NYCSavage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2012, 04:40   #25
Moderator
 
Seaworthy Lass's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Oct 2008
Boat: Aluminium cutter rigged sloop
Posts: 12,819
Re: Missing Anything?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCSavage View Post
Then get the kindle for her and ipad for you
Or get her both, one for Christmas and one for her birthday . The Kindle with its e-ink technology is FAR superior for reading outdoors and it is lighter and easier to use and uses much less power (the last is a big consideration for me, particularly in winter). I read with this just about exclusively outdoors. It synchs with the iPad if the Kindle wifi is turned on, so I can easily go from reading on the Kindle to reading on the iPad without needing to find the spot I am up to. The iPad is better inside when power is less of a concern, as I can instantly swap between internet and emails and Skype and reading and it doesn't need any additional lighting (the Kindle does at night).
__________________
"The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears or the sea." Isak Dinesen
"To me the simple act of tying a knot is an adventure in unlimited space." Clifford Ashley
Seaworthy Lass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2012, 04:50   #26
Registered User
 
Bluewaters2812's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Cruising
Boat: Not a Beneteau!
Posts: 911
Images: 1
Send a message via Skype™ to Bluewaters2812
Re: Missing Anything?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCSavage View Post
Then get the kindle for her and ipad for you
Lol, I am not Rockefeller ... I am the other feller. Jokes aside I am not sold on the Ipad type equipment yet. I still prefer a laptop? Maybe I am senile or just a bit slow to grasp the need for an Ipad-like device?
__________________
Bluewaters2812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2012, 04:51   #27
Registered User
 
Bluewaters2812's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Cruising
Boat: Not a Beneteau!
Posts: 911
Images: 1
Send a message via Skype™ to Bluewaters2812
Re: Missing Anything?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaworthy Lass View Post
Or get her both, one for Christmas and one for her birthday . The Kindle with its e-ink technology is FAR superior for reading outdoors and it is lighter and easier to use and uses much less power (the last is a big consideration for me, particularly in winter). I read with this just about exclusively outdoors. It synchs with the iPad if the Kindle wifi is turned on, so I can easily go from reading on the Kindle to reading on the iPad without needing to find the spot I am up to. The iPad is better inside when power is less of a concern, as I can instantly swap between internet and emails and Skype and reading and it doesn't need any additional lighting (the Kindle does at night).
What if this "other feller" (not Rockefeller) got her the Kindle Fire HD and for himself stuck with a laptop?
__________________
Bluewaters2812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2012, 05:01   #28
Registered User
 
NYCSavage's Avatar

Join Date: May 2010
Location: Liverpool, UK
Posts: 266
Images: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluewaters2812

Lol, I am not Rockefeller ... I am the other feller. Jokes aside I am not sold on the Ipad type equipment yet. I still prefer a laptop? Maybe I am senile or just a bit slow to grasp the need for an Ipad-like device?
I was like that, then my phone network offered me a free iPad with my contract so I figured I could sell it on eBay if I didn't like it.......a year later my iPadis used more than my phone and laptop combined!
__________________
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” – Mark Twain
NYCSavage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2012, 05:08   #29
Moderator
 
Seaworthy Lass's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Oct 2008
Boat: Aluminium cutter rigged sloop
Posts: 12,819
Re: Missing Anything?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluewaters2812 View Post
Lol, I am not Rockefeller ... I am the other feller. Jokes aside I am not sold on the Ipad type equipment yet. I still prefer a laptop? Maybe I am senile or just a bit slow to grasp the need for an Ipad-like device?
You'll quickly see the advantage of an iPad when cruising. Power draw is a fraction of a laptop (even my old tiny netbook). It doubles as a spare chartplotter with maps (eg Navionics) a fraction of the price of chips for the plotter. The navigation apps are brilliant. I use Navionics for maps (including plotting routes), GPS for additional data on speed etc, Shipfinder for AIS data (doesnt pick them all up, but better than nothing). I also installed DragQueen for a dragging alarm, but havent needed it yet as our small Furuno is on permanently at anchor with an alarm set.

If you a "gadget geek" as you say, you will think all your Christmases have come at once using one
__________________
"The cure for anything is salt water: sweat, tears or the sea." Isak Dinesen
"To me the simple act of tying a knot is an adventure in unlimited space." Clifford Ashley
Seaworthy Lass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2012, 05:29   #30
Registered User
 
Bluewaters2812's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Cruising
Boat: Not a Beneteau!
Posts: 911
Images: 1
Send a message via Skype™ to Bluewaters2812
Re: Missing Anything?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seaworthy Lass View Post
You'll quickly see the advantage of an iPad when cruising. Power draw is a fraction of a laptop (even my old tiny netbook). It doubles as a spare chartplotter with maps (eg Navionics) a fraction of the price of chips for the plotter. The navigation apps are brilliant. I use Navionics for maps (including plotting routes), GPS for additional data on speed etc, Shipfinder for AIS data (doesnt pick them all up, but better than nothing). I also installed DragQueen for a dragging alarm, but havent needed it yet as our small Furuno is on permanently at anchor with an alarm set.

If you a "gadget geek" as you say, you will think all your Christmases have come at once usi g one
Ah, ok, I see the first good reason to use the Ipad rather than a laptop (battery power draw), tks.
__________________

__________________
Bluewaters2812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:43.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.