Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-08-2012, 18:07   #16

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours
Re: Minor Rant About Current Marina Situation, Opinions?

Theres the real reason we hate marinas !! The mangement!! over half of the Marinas Connie and I have been in have had a problem!!Thats the reason we have Bayou side property for our boat !! We are the management there !! And it's a bunch cheaper!! today I found 2 more spots with good deep water! Over 60 ft wide, and can be leased for 150 dollars a month Long Term of 10 years or more if ya wish!! Or month to month!! just sayin our weather may hot 6 mos of the year but it's a great place to live aboard !!!
Old 24-08-2012, 18:07   #17

Boat: Tartan 30

The thing about a marina is nothing is yours. You're just a renter, and as renters go, you have no real say in the matter. Unless you've signed a contract that explicitly states you have "slip #XX", then you have no say in where they put you.

The answer is to simply go somewhere else. Many marina's operate fairly and are very well kept.

The marina I'm in is first class, possibly the best marina in town, and surprisingly, the cheapest marina in town With over 200 slips, theirs plenty of space for everyone, the bathrooms are cleaned daily, docks are regularly updated, the pools are clean, and the tiki bar serves cold beer

Meanwhile, literally just a few blocks away; people are living next to derelicts on non-floating docks, complaining about the smell from commercial vessels, using restrooms that are "cleaned" once a week (and the cleaning person gets paid $10 a week!), no parking, no pools, no tiki bar....and they are actually paying MORE for a slip than this marina!

I just don't get it.... when I ask people over there why they don't come over here, they say "it's too far without a car". But, we're talking about a 2 mile difference... Then they proceed with making fun of the yachties over here

shop around.
Old 24-08-2012, 21:44   #18

Man! This is a concern. I'm looking to buy my first sailboat next year, (26' McGreggor). There is a marina 1 1/2 miles from my house and hoping this that your all describing won't be an issue. (Had a small power boat a few yrs ago I kept at home).
The McGreggor is trailerable but was hoing that would be used for travel if needed. I live along the Deleware river so I am able to navigate to open water ways; Deleware bay, Atlantic Ocean, if I so desire.
cooltech
cooltech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2012, 22:26   #19

The marina we were at for a few years was pretty nice. Costs an arm and a leg but was super clean, well maintained, and I got away with murder.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2012, 03:33   #20

Boat: Cruisers Yachts 420 Express
Send a message via ICQ to jeremiason Send a message via Yahoo to jeremiason Send a message via Skype™ to jeremiason

I would suggest you move as soon as possible and keep quiet until you do.

The month to month contract goes both ways and the Marina could tell you to get out with 30 days notice or less for cause. Then you would be without a slip and no place to put it, especially as a live aboard.

jeremiason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2012, 05:16   #21

Boat: Gemini 105Mc 34'

That's what's great about living on a boat...you can easily just pick up and move. Hopefully you can find an appropriate marina within the area you need to be...Sounds like moving would be the best choice at this point. Good luck!
Waterway Guide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2012, 05:26   #22

Boat: departure 35

This sounds a lot like the first dump we were in. Thank god were in a nice one now. As for being in a tight spot I can also relate. Until a month ago we could barely get our 29 out. The docks were just too close together for any kind of wind. I used the dingy as a tugboat to keep it pointed right. It works great! Our docks just got rebuilt also and I jumped on a corner slip fast. Now I can back in super easy.
rrranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2012, 09:25   #23

Boat: Graham Radford 415
Hi all, just a little update for you.

Was talking with a neighbor yesterday who is just as choked as us with "Jim", and we've agreed to get the owner Bob down here for a big meeting where we'll all voice our opinions and tell him what needs to change...Jim.

We also found out a lot more about Jim and how much of a lowlife this guy is. One story was how he was part of a Hells Angels deal to con this guy out of his 60ft sailboat by loading the thing with cocaine and calling the cops. Guy gets arrested and boat seized, Jim comes out smelling of roses.

Another great one was how before moving onto his boat, Jim lived in Bobs basement for five years. To me it seems all the more unlikely that Jim will get the boot, but from what I saw yesterday (Bob was down here), he is getting pretty tired of Jim's behavior and decisions.

One last thing I had to share with you... Jim's new edition to the Titanic. Actually, not an edition to the boat as its ON THE DOCK. Right outside our boat, lovely. (whilst your looking marvel at the beauty of the Bimini he's trying to build).

http://i.imgur.com/HuKS0.jpg
CaptainTurtles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2012, 11:24   #24

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Sounds to me that Jim and Bob are tight and you would be wasting your time and creating an avenue of trouble for yourself. Not wanting to reveal to much of my past but trust me, you do not want to deal with anyone that has any association with the H.A. If you don't like what's going on...just find a happier place.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2012, 11:41   #25

I've noticed that sometimes in these situations, even when you win, you loose. Jim/bob may be that way... maybe best to not even play the game?
CapTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2012, 11:49   #26
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

sounds like a great time to check out a different marina.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2012, 12:38   #27

Vote with your feet - find a better place. Marinas we've been in, your long-term contract is for a specific slip, and the cost of that slip is based on its size and ease of access.
wingNwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2012, 14:12   #28

Hearing back from a marina tomorrow, fingers and toes crossed that they have a spot for us. Government run so the expectations will be a lot higher than here.

Trouble with being in Vancouver is all the bridges, our sailboat can't get under many of them. Then there's a bylaw in North Vancouver stopping all liveaboards at marinas. And then there's the fact any marina in the downtown area is so far out of our price range.

That doesn't leave many marinas, and then there's the years long waiting lists at those. So until we get lucky we do have to work out something to make life a little easier here at the marina. I only just realized that it's next weekend is a long one and we usually take the boat out. Due to a boat in the marina next door of we leave we wouldn't be able to get back into this spot were in now.

It's all very stressful a the moment I can't say I enjoy having so much tension. Jim is attempting to make a bimini at the same time were also making ours. It's sad that I don't even trust leaving our equipment out while we go pick up a part or something. Roll on going offshore, eh?
Old 26-08-2012, 18:00   #29
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(

There goes the neighborhood...

The owner likely does not want his business to fail but it sounds like a crap place. Put up with it until you find new digs. Remember even if you have to endure a month or two it's but a small slice of a whole life...

Once you get your ducks lined up make sure the owner "knows" - politely and informatively - why you are leaving and wish him luck "running" his business as he's buddies plaything.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2012, 09:42   #30

Hi all, just wanted to give you an update after an eventful day yesterday!

Jim asked if he and his helper could come aboard early in the AM to move a boat around ours (from the outside dock in front of him, around my boat and then in front of me by hand) so I said okay. Watching Beavis and Butthead, they bring the boat up along side mine and DRAG IT ALONG MY BOAT. NO FENDERS! I start shouting at Jim and he said it was okay because the rubber on the boat was in line with mine! Left a nice black rubber mark along my hull but lucky for them, it rubs off. Oh, and they tie this guys boat up to the dock and THEN think to turn the fenders around to the other side. Unbelievable.

Anyway, with this boat out of the way Jim moves his boat out of my spot (again this was another comedy sketch it was so bad). He unties this close to 50ft 'sailboat', just two of them holding ropes in a reasonably moving current then realises he hasn't put any cleats down in the spot he's moving up to! Too funny!

Sooo aside from the comic display of stupidity, the owner Bob came down to the marina and got the job done. Told Jim straight, as a boss, not as a friend what needed to change. Jim obviously moved the boat because he'd been told to give us our spot back, and to clean all of his junk up too. The fridge has left the dock and all his junk up in the car park has been cleared, too.

So right now, I'm very happy and pleasantly surprised with my marina owner. He really pulled through and got the job done. We're still keeping a foot in the door and looking for other marinas, but after yesterday it's not such a hurry to get the hell out of here. Jim has been put in his place and Bob has made it clear that the reins have been pulled.

Oh, and getting to see Jim walk around looking like he had a pineapple shoved up his @$$ all day was just the icing on the cake!

Tags
current