Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-08-2012, 08:06   #46

Re: Minor Rant About Current Marina Situation, Opinions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainTurtles View Post
Aside from Jim, all the other neighbours are great. And everyone here is pissed off with him one way or another. So it's nice to feel like we've not been singled out by him, as he's a jerk with everyone. Now that the reigns has been pulled in by the owner, Jim seems to have realized he's just a dock boy and nobody likes him enough to even say hello in the morning.
Please allow me to go against the current here. It's been stated that the owner has straightened Jim out. Also, nobody else there seems to care for him. Do you really think Jim would do something stupid now? That, and there are always all those other eyes around that "you" have made friends with.
I say you might consider giving the new owner of the marina another chance. After all, he set "Jim" straight on your (and everyone else's) behalf.
-Bruce
Ballenxj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2012, 02:17   #47
Armchair Bucketeer

A tricky situation - speaking as someone sometimes on the edge of paranoia (not saying which side of the edge ), I would personally take no great comfort from the fact that you have not had a direct confrontation with Jim. Indeed the lack of and the absence of threats (including the usual death threats ) can be a bit of a red flag if dealing with someone who is a serious player.

My comfort comes from the fact that he is doing a regular job (despite being done badly!), no matter his colourful past which suggests (but no guarantee) that he has for some reason moved on, or at least is trying. Losing past "mojo" (which allows folk to do pretty much WTF they like) is annoying though and takes some adjustment. and don't neccesarily mean the leopard has fundamentally changed his spots.

Personally I would go elsewhere. But in the interim it is good to moan / rant .
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 14:14   #48

Boat: Graham Radford 415
Loved the last two messages guys thanks for the comments (and everyone). I'm on my phone and can't directly quote them right now.

Having had a couple of days to "asses the situation" here it would seem Jim's party is well and truly over. Bobs been at the marina almost every day inspecting how much work has been done and it seems to be keeping Jim on his toes.

He hasn't been wasting time on his own boat during what I assume are his working hours and has just been getting on with business. It's been quite nice actually to barely see or hear from him.

His maturity and understanding of his own responsibility is still questionable after attempting to do burn outs on his bike outside the marina one evening and leaving some nice looking rubber marks in the road. However he does seem to be on his best behavior now that Bob is on his ass every day.

Still have our ear to the ground for moorage at others marinas but for the time being its a lot more relaxed and comfortable being back in our spot with everything almost back to normal!
CaptainTurtles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 06:03   #49

Dude drops a dime to steal a boat, a relationship with the brothers??? You get in a pissing match about a parking spot? What is wrong with you? Move dude. You did not win anything.
Twotimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 14:11   #50

Boat: Amor 40

I used to livaboard at a marina just east of Toronto; the livaboard community was fantastic, and very cohesive. The owners helped us in any way, and we'ld throw in our help when we could....a great place to livaboard. I then transgressed to the ocean, and now live in Nova Scotia, but get this; there is not ONE marina/yacht club in Halifax and region that will allow livaboards!! When I questioned one Yacht Club manager about it, his response was that "the docks get slippery in the winter"....what a load of 'bunk' (that's not the word I want to use, but I don't want to get booted off the site!). Here we are, in one of the largest natural salt-water ports, and there's nowhere to liveaboard. I've since bought a small house down the coast, but that's only because I refuse to rent (aka; pay someone elses' mortgage)....thats my rant
Netteypatch is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
current