Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-10-2011, 14:02   #31

Re: Minimum Size for a Liveaboard Monohull

I read somewhere how a couple set up a mock boat in their home. The used sheets as curtains to partician off an area as wide as the boat they were thinking about and to it's length. The put chairs a small table and a bunk in the area set up to resemble a boat and used cardboard over the bunk to lower headroom.

While it all sounded rather elaborate, it was set up just a few hours. They tried living within those confines. They even marked off an area on a deck as the boat deck.

Actually, I thought all this was a good idea limiting yourself to a small area to see how it would be aboard. They cooked as if on a boat, had a smaller battery operated TV and radio, not using other spaces or amenities in the house.

I'm thinking of doing something similar, outside, since I don't have a boat or travel trailer. I have a swimming pool cover that I can hang off lines as a long narrow tent. But seems you could get a feel for it and at least test yourself and your imagination. Just to see what it might be like at different lengths.
Wavewacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 17:06   #32

Boat: Camano Troll 31'

I'm doing it in a 19' travel trailer. I gotta say these folks sure don't know how to utilize space! The bathroom door hits the bed and gives about 8" of clearance to get in. I figure by the time I get to the boat I will think I'm moving into the Queen Mary.
Old 02-10-2011, 17:32   #33

Boat: Tartan 30

The biggest problem with most smaller boats is not the size itself, but that they weren't built to be lived in. There's a ton of wasted space on my boat, I have to build cubby holes and shelves, and figure out ways to utilize storage better than I would have to on a boat made to cruise.

I think interior layout is everything when it comes to living on a small sailboat. Something like an Island Packet 31, or a westsail 28, when compared to an Alberg, or even my 'roomy' Tartan (just to compare cruising boats to not-cruising boats, in the same size range). They have drawers for clothing and compartments everywhere, real hanging lockers, places to put dishes, etc, etc... Not to mention more tankage and a bilge you can actually put wine (or something) in A boat that was designed for daysailing, or racing/weekending will take a lot of adjustments to get comfortable in, no matter what size it is.

I'm not complaining about my boat though, it's plenty big enough, I just have to put the work in to make it 'comfortable'... I'd like to say I have too much stuff, but I really don't. I minimized to an extreme before buying a boat, and still had to minimize to another extreme afterwards. But, I just packed away my backpacking gear in a v-berth locker today, so atleast I can attest it's not the same as camping
Old 02-10-2011, 17:35   #34

Boat: Traditional 30

this is such a subjective thread. There are some 27 footers with more living space than some 35 footers. Like all things sailing, there are so many variables that make it impossible to anwer this type of question without saying "its like , how long is a peice of string" .

However, it really depends on comfort level. To generalise the smaller the boat the less comfort. However that also means the smaller the boat the cheaper to maintain.
ozskipper is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
liveaboard, monohull