Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-09-2011, 04:10   #16

Boat: Peterson 46
Re: Minimum Size for a Liveaboard Monohull

I agree with pretty much all said before;

Our forst boat a 30'er was great, but felt small when we got the 36'.

Now, the 46' seems a good size. I usually stuff more than we need into it, the waterline makes a good speed and we have a large RIB ~all things not possible in the smaller boats.

However, costs are exponentially greater than the 30'.
rusky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2011, 04:49   #17

Boat: Privilege 37

Everybody has a different tolerance to define the difference between exist and live.

It will depend on climate, past experience, necessity, size of person, wish to have friends onboard etc etc.

It will also depend on how long you intend to do this. If this is a temporary move whilst waiting for something bigger, it can be accepted. if it is a permanent alternative to living ashore, then something larger becomes more important.

It will also depend on how much of a minimalist you are.

Personally my Privilege 37 seems about right for me!
Old 30-09-2011, 05:20   #18

Boat: Skookum 53'

For long term live aboard, w/ some sea kindlyness, I would think 45' to 35' would be good for you. I once met a man who sailed from England to Hawaii and was on his way around the world on a 32' vessel and that seemed all right for him. Alot depends on the designer and configuration. For me 53' works about right.
Old 30-09-2011, 05:49   #19
CLOD

Boat: none

if think you ask yourself if the boat is too small to live on ............... I bet it is!
Old 30-09-2011, 06:41   #20
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by markmark View Post
What is the minimal size for a liveaboard monohull?
- For one person

Is 23' too small, is 26' really that much more room?
There are so many variables. DON'T just look at the overall length. I had a 25' that had almost no storage and not enough head room and would have been awful to live on. I was just on a 20' Flicka that had a fully functioning head, refrigerator, and plenty of head room. Many people have lived on them, but I think you would have to keep personal belongings to an absolute minimum but I know of a case where a couple happily lived on a Flicka.

There's so much more to it than length.
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2011, 06:42   #21
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Jordan View Post
Making passages in a small boat is what gets me. I think I could liveaboard on a pretty small boat but want a longer waterline length for the speed and motion factors offshore.

Once again, the Flicka is an exception -- in my limited opinion.
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2011, 07:17   #22

Boat: Ohlson 38

Only lived on my Westsail 28 at anchor for four months so far. (currently on the hard for refit). For just me it was ok. I never ran out of storage space and was comfortable except when Leslie stayed over. When I had work to do she and her "stuff" seemed to always be sitting on the very locker that I needed to access which caused some grumpiness. If I could go back, and had more money, I would go 10 feet longer to maximum personal space, and to maintain the love.
virginia boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2011, 07:57   #23

Boat: a sailing boat

We have been living aboard a 26' for 8 years now and it is OK. Me and my first mate. The boat is 26x9. Standing height for the mate in the main cabin, not so much for me ( I am nearly 6'). We have been living in warm climates and the cockpit and deck are our balcony - sort of makes up for the apparent lack of space inside.

I think, to live aboard, the bigger the boat (volume, not length) the better life. This gigantomania will in some places be limited by harbour fees and at times by maintenance cost too.

If you are forced to, or elected to, live on a small boat then look for a very beamy, very high hull - maximise volume. A small barge is perfect perhaps. Avoid small boats that are narrow and low.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2011, 08:04   #24

Boat: Jaguar 22 mono called Arfur.

Adding that veranda space is easily done with a tarpaulin over the boom. Makes a good wind guard too if secured to the hull on the breezy side.
Adding a clear poly sheet as a curtain outside the cabin entrance provides daylight and ventilation on those wetter days too. Staples to a 20mm pole at each end is fine, clips are readily available. Easy to fit, easy to roll away when the rain clears.
Old 30-09-2011, 08:06   #25

Different strokes for different folks. We have lived aboard and cruised over 5000 miles on our Catalina 27 full-time for the past 6 years. We are not "camping" as some people with bigger boats like to think. We are just as comfortable and live just as well as we would on a 40 foot boat. And we actually go places. 95% of the time anchored or on a mooring, we don't like marina's lack of privacy.

We know more people who give up cruising or only do it part-time who are on big boats because the big boat with complicated systems is more trouble to fix, maintain and too much trouble to sail that they just aren't having fun.

Although we could afford to pay cash for a 40-45 foot boat we don't want one!! Wouldn't be fun anymore! Too many things to fix, too much unnecessary expense, too much draft to anchor in our favorite anchorages, etc. Of course, we are just coastal cruising. If we were going to cross oceans or do the Carribean we would buy a bigger nice bluewater boat. After 6 years on our 27 foot boat we have no plans to get a bigger boat and someone will have to drag us off kicking and screaming because of health problems when we get old or come and remove the body when we die happy on the boat! :-)
Downtothesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2011, 11:02   #26

Boat: C&C Landfall 38

Comfortable Berth for two normal sized people when company calls, good shower, I don’t mind sitting on the head but it has to be water proof and work well not camping style for a shower. Saloon that sits 4 for dinner, galley that have a real 3 burner plus oven propane stove. It must have appropriate heating. I have lived on 26-38ft boats the mid 30s being best. I don’t think a 40+ is necessary unless you want t take your shore side lifestyle with you. My first boat was a 26 foot Thunderbird, no headroom good bed, stove and head, I spent two 6 month working (diving as a Marine Biologist) summers in the PNW it was great but I was 22, I always found showers and good moorage, my dingy was a cheap Wal-Mart pool toy type kayak easily and regularly replaced for $30, ah those were the days.
nwdiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2011, 11:29   #27

Thanks Zeehag! A friend has a photo of Hudson frozen over that people were literally walking across the ice one year! Hopefully, it won't be the case this year or next 10 years...Not ready to move south yet as i have work, friends and family here yet. But fireworks fantastic if still on side of the river!
ujk1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2011, 11:36   #28
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

someone in ct was living in a shrinkwrapped catalina 27... someone in sweden was living in a maxi 77.... is doable, but it seems ye has to have icicles in the blood by winter's end
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2011, 12:13   #29

Boat: Gulfstar 50

I agree that if you have to ask if it's to small than it is. I have a 36 now and it would be ok for 1 but I think it's too small for 2. most times I find someone living in a 20 something boat it's the derelict that gives liveaboards a bad name
SV.Maverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-09-2011, 12:45   #30

Boat: 1989 50 ft Roberts

50ft is nice - for now it just seems like I live on her. I have both welders, tourches a wood working shop and a pile of lumber in her with plenty of room for me to tinker. The paint shop is in the wheel house. I think we will have plenty of room once the tools get tossed out.
Matt sachs is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
liveaboard, monohull