Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-09-2014, 08:35   #61

Boat: csy 37
Re: Minimalist live aboard brainstorming

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
The bus has 4 feet height THROUGHOUT, Vega has 5'10'' only on the centerline under the raised cabintop area.
After thinking it over, the microbus had more than four feet of headroom - maybe closer to 5. Although I really liked the Vega, after 5 years the headroom issue got the best of me. But, being as crazy as most sailboat owners, my next boat was a Santana 26 racing boat that had even less headroom!
onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2014, 08:42   #62

Re: Minimalist Live Aboard Brainstorming

Friend of mine is currently living on his old 35' wooden dickerson in marsh harbor, abacos. His only source of power other than running his engine is a 100 watt solar panel.
Old 21-09-2014, 08:49   #63
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by clockwork orange View Post
That's a nice little boat, we have very few smaller aft cabin sailboats in the US, ones that come to mind are an S2 9.1 model, Parker Dawson 26,(built under a few different names) Norsea 27 and the Stella 30. There are probably a few more im forgetting. The Stella is a very fast little boat with a retractable keel version but they didn't build many. The Norsea is a great little boat but also an over priced cult boat so not suitable for the OP. A friend of mine had a Parker Dawson 26 and it was a surprisingly good little boat with good heavy air performance, a guy raced one in the OSTAR back in the 70s in a year when much of the fleet didn't finish due to bad conditions, he did.
I think a PD 26 would suit the OP just fine and there were quite a large number built over the years so the are available, are old enough to be cheap, are seaworthy but have a retractable ballasted centerboard and are self righting with it up so satisfy the shoal draft requirement and being trailable allows for purchase from anywhere in the country if you have access to a pickup truck. There is an owners group I believe.

Steve.
Its a lovely boat the Seal 28 Steve. Retractable keel as well.
I had forgotten about the Parker Dawson.....
The other one to consider which can be surprisingly cheap is the McGregor 26.
weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2014, 15:33   #64

I've looked at all the boats mentioned here and the one in the lead so far is the bayfield 25. Looks like I'll have plenty of room to live and I really like the shallow draft. I like this one http://www.sailboatlistings.com/view/35610.

I've been trying to find a cruising log of someone on a bayfield but no luck.

Oh and here's a list of equipment I am considering purchasing for the boat. Feel free to tear it apart guys. Chart plotter, auto pilot, radar, water maker, a decent solar setup, rain collection set up, anything else I missed?
Old 21-09-2014, 15:46   #65

Boat: Balboa 27

The bayfield 25 is a great little boat, with one fatal flaw that makes it unattractive for me: the head is located underneath the V berth. Not so bad if you're solo, but pretty much a no go if you've got a girlfriend aboard. (Please don't accuse me of being a sexist pig, this is a comment I've heard from a couple of different women).

Also, the one you're looking at is in Ohio and doesn't come with a trailer. By the time you get her to the east coast it's not going to end up being a good deal.
susswein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2014, 15:53   #66

Boat: Morgan Moorings 50

Not a 25, but there's a book called "Imperfect Passage" by Michael Cosgrove about his circumnavigation on a Bayfield 40. Very interesting book.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
DDabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2014, 15:54   #67
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wookiee_King View Post
Oh and here's a list of equipment I am considering purchasing for the boat. Feel free to tear it apart guys. Chart plotter, auto pilot, radar, water maker, a decent solar setup, rain collection set up, anything else I missed?
A watermaker is pretty much outside a minimalist approach, like a 20 year coed it can be high maintenance. Plus space on a 25' boat will be tiny. Not much room for a watermaker. PLB. Rather then clartplotter get a waterproof tablet. Far more versatility and it can be a chartplotter too, without the marine $$.
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2014, 15:59   #68

Boat: Balboa 27

Quote:

Chart plotter: unnecessary. Go with a handheld GPS and a tablet PC with free downloaded maps.
auto pilot: Definitely, and I'd suggest a second as a backup.
radar: Definitely not needed at first, unless you're spending all your time somewhere foggy
water maker: Maybe eventually, but not at first. I added a second water tank on my boat (total 50 gallons) and can stay out over a month without topping up. If you do get one consider where the power is going to come from to run it.
Solar: A definite yes. 100 watts should be plenty if you don't have refrigeration, otherwise 200-250 watts. A portable fridge (like an engel) was one of the best upgrades I made to my boat.
rain collection setup: It doesn't rain where/when I sail, so I can't comment.

Add to the list a dinghy of some sort. I used an inflatable kayak for 2 years, but upgrading to a 7' RIB with a 3 HP engine expanded my cruising options by a bunch.

If it isn't already, set up the boat so you can do everything from the cockpit: roller furling, lines led back, single line reefing, etc
susswein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2014, 16:18   #69

Quote:
I've looked at all the boats mentioned here and the one in the lead so far is the bayfield 25. Looks like I'll have plenty of room to live and I really like the shallow draft. I like this one 1977 bayfield bayfield 25 sailboat for sale in Ohio.

I'm not sure where that one is located in Ohio, but if it's by the Michigan/Ohio border, you might as well check this one out too.

Reed Yacht Sales

I don't know anything about the boat - It does have a trailer, so it will save time and money getting it to the east coast, but it's double the cost of the one you've referenced. What the heck, you can always low ball him and see if he'll bite.
slowshoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2014, 17:05   #70

Quote:
here's a list of equipment I am considering purchasing for the boat. Feel free to tear it apart guys. Chart plotter, auto pilot, radar, water maker, a decent solar setup, rain collection set up, anything else I missed?
Forget the chart plotter, radar, and water maker. Get two simple handheld gps, the biggest solar panel you can fit, and increase the water tankage. Auto pilot is a must, two if you can afford it. A rain catcher you can set up quickly.
Old 21-09-2014, 17:48   #71

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by onestepcsy37 View Post
After thinking it over, the microbus had more than four feet of headroom - maybe closer to 5. Although I really liked the Vega, after 5 years the headroom issue got the best of me. But, being as crazy as most sailboat owners, my next boat was a Santana 26 racing boat that had even less headroom!
+1!

I do not find (lack of) headroom on our boat an issue either. It's been 11 happy years.

Get a boat that you love and tell yourself any deficiencies are apparent. For they are.

Cheers,
b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-09-2014, 21:24   #72
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
+1!

I do not find (lack of) headroom on our boat an issue either. It's been 11 happy years.

Get a boat that you love and tell yourself any deficiencies are apparent. For they are.

Cheers,
b.
I could not stand erect in my first liveaboard cruiser. I found that I was only stooping when I was washing dishes or brushing my teeth. The rest of my time I either stretched out on the deck or I took a seat!
Old 22-09-2014, 00:29   #73

Boat: Pearson Ariel 26, Pearson 30

Quote:
I've looked at all the boats mentioned here and the one in the lead so far is the bayfield 25. Looks like I'll have plenty of room to live and I really like the shallow draft. I like this one 1977 bayfield bayfield 25 sailboat for sale in Ohio.

Just an FYI, that boat was sold before spring..its in Florida now.
RicknSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-09-2014, 05:17   #74

Boat: Ericson 34

Quote:

Hi ! How many Bayfield 25 have done ocean passages ? I would rather buy a Vancouver 27 or a Sweedish Vega anytime rather than a Bayfield or many other... Also, remember that transom hunged rudder is far easier to set up with trim tab activated by a windvane self steering system
ALAIN97133 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2014, 15:23   #75

I bet a bayfield will be capable of going farther then her captain, her captain being me.