Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-07-2019, 13:21   #1
Registered User

Join Date: Jul 2019
Posts: 1
Mini Washing Machine on Boat?

I was wondering if I could improve on my bucket method of washing with something like this

__________________

jkearns1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2019, 00:58   #2
Registered User

Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Australia
Boat: Tasman 40' catamaran
Posts: 20
Re: Mini Washing Machine on Boat?

hi there
you may see my similar thread a few weeks ago.
we wound up buying a very similar looking twin tub (probably all made in the same factory in china...) for A$109
this compared pretty well to all the other options - plus at 5kg, it's BIGGER
we have only used it a few times but so far she-who-must-be-obeyed is extremely happy
we can recommend you give it a go !
cheers,
__________________

chrisr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2019, 01:02   #3
Registered User
 
Sojourner's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: On the boat!
Boat: SY Wake: 53' Amel Super Maramu
Posts: 746
Re: Mini Washing Machine on Boat?

If you have just a little more space, you can get a front-loader like we have... tiny little kenwood 1150 mini. Fits into the tiniest cabinet, super thrifty, has a 30 min cycle... just spent an hour last week talking kenomac's ear off about it. When I say it is whisper quiet, I don't know it's on until I hear the water pump.

https://www.fust.ch/de/p/haushalt/wa...d-8181205.html
__________________
3 cats, 3 queers, endless wake, endless love!
https://www.facebook.com/anendlesswake/
https://anendlesswake.com/
Sojourner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2019, 02:08   #4
Registered User

Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: In the Atlantic
Boat: Prout Snowgoose 35
Posts: 1,221
Re: Mini Washing Machine on Boat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourner View Post
If you have just a little more space, you can get a front-loader like we have... tiny little kenwood 1150 mini. Fits into the tiniest cabinet, super thrifty, has a 30 min cycle... just spent an hour last week talking kenomac's ear off about it. When I say it is whisper quiet, I don't know it's on until I hear the water pump.

https://www.fust.ch/de/p/haushalt/wa...d-8181205.html
It's 50kg there is nothing mini about that. A full size washing machine is a similar weight.
mikedefieslife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2019, 02:11   #5
Registered User
 
Sojourner's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: On the boat!
Boat: SY Wake: 53' Amel Super Maramu
Posts: 746
Re: Mini Washing Machine on Boat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedefieslife View Post
It's 50kg there is nothing mini about that. A full size washing machine is a similar weight.
Nonsense...its half the depth of a normal washer you'd find on bigger boats, the door is about 10in in diameter. But I do get its bigger than those really tiny portable RV ones.
__________________
3 cats, 3 queers, endless wake, endless love!
https://www.facebook.com/anendlesswake/
https://anendlesswake.com/
Sojourner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2019, 02:17   #6
Registered User

Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: In the Atlantic
Boat: Prout Snowgoose 35
Posts: 1,221
Re: Mini Washing Machine on Boat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourner View Post
Nonsense...its half the depth of a normal washer you'd find on bigger boats, the door is about 10in in diameter. But I do get its bigger than those really tiny portable RV ones.
How can it be nonsense when the weight is right there in the specs. I merely commented on the weight not making it really 'mini' not it's actual size.

Here is a full size washing machine that weighs 57kg. As you can see the weights aren't too dissimilar. https://www.argos.co.uk/product/7434772

I will agree though a front loader it infinitely better than those pathetic top loading contraptions. I don't even know why they still make those things.
mikedefieslife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2019, 02:19   #7
Bailing as fast as I can.
 
GILow's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Adelaide, South Australia
Boat: Swanson 42
Posts: 5,598
Re: Mini Washing Machine on Boat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkearns1974 View Post
I was wondering if I could improve on my bucket method of washing with something like this
The biggest problem with a washing machine on the boat is how much water it needs. That thing would be fine if you live at a marina, but if you have to feed it fresh water from your tanks you'll probably need awfully big tanks. I cannot find any data on how much that one uses but I suspect it will be a fair bit.

That machine also has a gravity drain, which is going to be a real PITA on a boat unless you are able to mount it high enough or if your grey water system is very low down in the boat. One of the front loaders, the wall mount Hitachi, also has a gravity drain, but it is small enough to mount high up on bulkhead.

I elected to go the front-loading path and bought one that uses only 40 litres per wash. Even that amount will require careful planning if I am not to deplete my fresh water supply. The machine has a proper evacuation pump, which gives me a lot of options in handling the grey water.
__________________
Count-down has commenced.
GILow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2019, 02:34   #8
Registered User
 
Sojourner's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2017
Location: On the boat!
Boat: SY Wake: 53' Amel Super Maramu
Posts: 746
Re: Mini Washing Machine on Boat?

Our Kenwood Mini1150 uses 25 liters of water per load on the cycle we use.
__________________
3 cats, 3 queers, endless wake, endless love!
https://www.facebook.com/anendlesswake/
https://anendlesswake.com/
Sojourner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2019, 05:31   #9
Bailing as fast as I can.
 
GILow's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Adelaide, South Australia
Boat: Swanson 42
Posts: 5,598
Re: Mini Washing Machine on Boat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojourner View Post
Our Kenwood Mini1150 uses 25 liters of water per load on the cycle we use.
That's VERY good! I thought 40 was doing ok, but 25 is excellent. I see it only does 3kg, which is ok, but the one I bought does 4kg. Looking at it from that perspective the Kenwood only uses 83% of the water that mine uses. I am hoping to get away with one wash a week when I live aboard... not sure how that will turn out.

But both, I am betting, are better than the top loaders. I threw out the top loader that came with my boat, it was a joke and would have used a stack of water.
__________________
Count-down has commenced.
GILow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2019, 06:08   #10
Registered User

Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 122
Re: Mini Washing Machine on Boat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GILow View Post
That's VERY good! I thought 40 was doing ok, but 25 is excellent. I see it only does 3kg, which is ok, but the one I bought does 4kg. Looking at it from that perspective the Kenwood only uses 83% of the water that mine uses. I am hoping to get away with one wash a week when I live aboard... not sure how that will turn out.

But both, I am betting, are better than the top loaders. I threw out the top loader that came with my boat, it was a joke and would have used a stack of water.
All depends on your selected cycle and how clean you want your laundry. Sojourner is probably using the shortest cycle meant for only 1.5kg.
fivecapes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2019, 06:35   #11
Bailing as fast as I can.
 
GILow's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Adelaide, South Australia
Boat: Swanson 42
Posts: 5,598
Re: Mini Washing Machine on Boat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fivecapes View Post
All depends on your selected cycle and how clean you want your laundry. Sojourner is probably using the shortest cycle meant for only 1.5kg.
Well, that would do my underwear.
__________________
Count-down has commenced.
GILow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2019, 06:37   #12
Bailing as fast as I can.
 
GILow's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Adelaide, South Australia
Boat: Swanson 42
Posts: 5,598
Re: Mini Washing Machine on Boat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisr View Post
but so far she-who-must-be-obeyed is extremely happy
Totally off topic, but I am forever checking to see who knows the true origin of that expression.

Any guesses?
__________________
Count-down has commenced.
GILow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2019, 06:41   #13
Registered User

Join Date: Jun 2018
Posts: 3
Re: Mini Washing Machine on Boat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GILow View Post
Totally off topic, but I am forever checking to see who knows the true origin of that expression.

Any guesses?
Rumpole of the Bailey
officerbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2019, 06:42   #14
Bailing as fast as I can.
 
GILow's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Adelaide, South Australia
Boat: Swanson 42
Posts: 5,598
Re: Mini Washing Machine on Boat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by officerbill View Post
Rumpole of the Bailey
Ah... close, but no smoking leaf thing.

Rumpole was simply quoting someone else.
__________________
Count-down has commenced.
GILow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-07-2019, 13:42   #15
Moderator
 
JPA Cate's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: aboard, cruising in Australia
Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Posts: 16,971
Re: Mini Washing Machine on Boat?

She Who Must Be Obeyed was a fictional character, a giant woman. Jim can probably tell you better. Iirc, it was from sci-fi, around 1952 or 3....

Ann
__________________

__________________
Who scorns the calm has forgotten the storm.

Jim and I are on land travel in the US.
JPA Cate is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
boat, washing

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Washing Clothes and Washing Machines Talbot Liveaboard's Forum 23 30-01-2019 11:16
Washing machine for Hunter 456? Kaja Liveaboard's Forum 10 13-01-2015 07:43
Cleaning / Washing Sails - Washing Machine ? Bleach ? dennisail Deck hardware: Rigging, Sails & Hoisting 19 24-05-2010 23:16
For Sale: Euronova 220vac Washing Machine Meck Classifieds Archive 5 28-09-2009 21:08
washing machine problem beau Multihull Sailboats 19 24-11-2007 11:45

Advertise Here


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 00:20.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
×

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.