Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-07-2013, 15:11   #1

Boat: Custom 70’ pilot house
Mexican Liability Coverage

Hi All,

We are planning on sailing down the west coast of Mexico on our way to Panama and we were told that in order to sail thru Mexico you must have a Mexican Liability Coverage insurance issued ONLY by a Mexican insurance company. In other words, this is on top of our formal full coverage insurance.
Can anyone enlighten us on this?

Thank you!!
Ron
Atraxia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2013, 15:48   #2
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Re: Mexican Liability Coverage

if you are going to stay in a marina in mexico one must have liability insurance. if your insurance covers liability in mexico then you should be fine.
if it does not, then you need to get liability insurance for marinas in mexico.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2013, 15:58   #3

These guys can get you squared away:
rowcliffeinsurance@gmail.com

$100k liability costs $195 a year (last year, anyway). If you go with the Haha the rates are a little higher (I can speculate why but I honestly don't know).
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2013, 16:47   #4

Boat: no longer on my Cabo Rico 38 Sanderling
Send a message via MSN to John A

When I did the trip in 2000-2001 I checked with Downwind Marine and was directed to a broker who did all my paperwork: visa's, insurance, and fishing licenses. Otherwise you need to spend a day going to multiple offices. I can't remember the cost, but thought it was reasonable.
John A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2013, 16:58   #5

if you already have liability insurance that works in mexico--does NOT have to be a mexican insurance company, you are good. ask your current insurance company about this.

all that is required here is that you carry 3rd party insurance for the marinas for damages incurred and as proof that you are responsible for yourself and your boat. they do not want you and or boat to become a burden on mexico.

people driving cars in mexico have to have liability from a mexican insuran company. boaters can use the liability insurance you already have--

there are many insurance companies that insure here--one is mariners group, a usa company, which i found thru my marina here in mexico, and there is a federal group, and there are other companies--progressive and some others also work here. check it out with your insurance company. you could well be already covered.
Old 25-07-2013, 17:40   #6

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42
I am having to buy a new insurance policy for cruising Mexico this year. BoatUs won't cover an extended cruise in Mexico even though they do offer a rider for Mex. for a short finite period (I think 90 days). My new coverage will be through Craig Chamberlain at Mariners General in Newport Beach, CA. Craig also confirmed that there is a new Mexican law requiring Mexican Liability coverage to be placed with a Mexican domiciled insurance company. He said,"The annual premium for a $50,000 USD Mexico Liability coverage limit is $189.64. When the time comes, you can purchase it directly from the following link on our website or we can walk you through the process on the phone-whichever you prefer. http://www.marinersmexico.com/boat-liability-insurance/mexican-boat-liability/." I trust this information I got from him.
Tayana42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-07-2013, 17:53   #7

tayana--mine is also mariners, 50k. they made it easy for my mom , who bought it for me.
Old 25-07-2013, 19:44   #8

Boat: O'Day 25

via BoatUS website. I used this for two trips to mexico. buy online, print out multiple copies and have on hand for marinas in mexico.

link on page: BoatUS - Marine Insurance Program - Policies

goes to;

https://sb.iigins.com/mexico-wc/quot...&lang=&agtdst=
Dos Gatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2013, 15:33   #9

Boat: Custom 70’ pilot house

Thank you all for your replies!!
I just got an offer from Craig (Mariners) for the $50,000 for $314.
He said that the liability coverage MUST be from a Mexican insurer no matter what insurance I've got.
Atraxia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2013, 15:54   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by SY CoSinus View Post
Thank you all for your replies!!
I just got an offer from Craig (Mariners) for the $50,000 for $314.
He said that the liability coverage MUST be from a Mexican insurer no matter what insurance I've got.
You can get double for half of that through rowecliff, but pick whatever you like.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2013, 15:55   #11
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32

Anybody ever collect on a Mexican insurance policy? I always purchase it but I have never been able to take advantage of it when I needed it..just wondering..
tropicalescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-07-2013, 17:10   #12

Boat: Cal39 MrkIII, 1982

Several good points have been made:

1. Boats US does offer insurance but is limited in both distance and duration (no further south than Puerto Vallarta and for no more than 4 months, is what I remember). They may offer just liability insurance, I never checked.

2. If you already carry boat insurance with liability, it may well cover internation travel (e.g., Mexico). Follow Zeehag's suggestion and do confirm that with your broker or agent.

3. If you do not currently have insurance, I'd suggest purchasing liability insurance on-line from a Mexican insurance carrier. As mentioned in one of the responses, it's very reasonably priced.

We carry insurance on our boat, which also includes liability insurance good in Mexico, but we also opt to purchase supplemental liability insurance from a Mexican carrier. It's very inexpensive and should we ever need it there should be no buracratic delay (which could involve incarceration) in establishing the validity and accessibility of the payee.

Good luck and good sailing. Enjoy your adventure.
neophytecruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 10:25   #13

Boat: 1989 52' PT Overseas Yachtfisher

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tayana42 View Post
I am having to buy a new insurance policy for cruising Mexico this year. BoatUs won't cover an extended cruise in Mexico even though they do offer a rider for Mex. for a short finite period (I think 90 days). My new coverage will be through Craig Chamberlain at Mariners General in Newport Beach, CA. Craig also confirmed that there is a new Mexican law requiring Mexican Liability coverage to be placed with a Mexican domiciled insurance company. He said,"The annual premium for a $50,000 USD Mexico Liability coverage limit is $189.64. When the time comes, you can purchase it directly from the following link on our website or we can walk you through the process on the phone-whichever you prefer.
Craig is correct- Mexican liability insurance MUST be written by a Mexico domiciled company. Often, your insurer may have a subsidiary (such as ACE Seguros) that meet this requirement. This is not just for port visits; this requirement is for anytime one is transiting Mexican waters.
Old 08-09-2013, 12:11   #14

Boat: Boatless

While I have never entered Mexico on the west coast, on the east coast...Cancun/Isla Mujeres/Puerto Morelos the officials get upset if you do not produce a Zarpe from your last country of departure. While we were in Isla Mujeres a boat was impounded because of the lack of a Zarpe

Heading USA to Mexico? Important Information — Noonsite

US officials are reluctant to provide a zarpe but 'CBP form 1300' looks like one and you just need to get it signed and stamped. The agent in Cancun assured me that if we paid him $150+ to clear us in the Zarpe problem could be avoided.

U.S. Customs and Border Protection - Forms

They also get very upset if you enter with firearms and on our last visit the custom's man said that his dog was trained to smell drugs and guns.

"Remember, experience only means that you screw-up less often."
s/v Moondancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2013, 13:19   #15

Boat: no longer on my Cabo Rico 38 Sanderling
Send a message via MSN to John A

On the West Coast of Mexico are you still required to check in/out with Immigration, Customs and the Port Captain for each Port?
In 2000-01 this exercise could take a half day to check out or check in.
John A is offline   Reply With Quote