Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-03-2016, 06:59   #1

Medications

I'm several years away from any major crossing but that will be my goal(s). Since I will be close to land for a few years yet there is no urgency and laws do change but doesn't hurt to start thinking in advance.
As a licensed (US) and highly experienced ED physician, it would seem appropriate for me to carry on board medications useful in emergencies when land is days or even weeks away. This could easily include what in the US is called schedule II drugs (ie medical narcotics) to reduce broken bones, dislocations or the like. Don't worry, no neurosurgery on rough seas. Assuming I carry appropriate (for the US anyway) credentials, is this likely to cause any problems for me in foreign ports of call? I have been to third world countries with such things on "medical mission" trips but that was always with a prearranged group.
Does anyone out there have any good or bad experiences with these issues??
thnx for sharing any experiences or knowledge
cgrassie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2016, 07:04   #2

Boat: Nonsuch 30
Re: Medications

We have entered about 40 countries on our boat and have never been asked a question about our first aid kit and its contents. I can't imagine that there ever would be a problem so long as the quantities of drugs you have are appropriate for the stated purpose of entering as a cruiser.
Old 03-03-2016, 07:12   #3

Re: Medications

Well it's a bit of a worry, as I am prescribed 15mg Codeine tablets (up to 4 x 2 per day) for emergency pain relief (though I never allow the maximum I take to exceed 1 tablet twice a day - I manage to tune their benefits with Ibuprofen).

I am wary of them, but grateful they are there, and annual use tends to be in the region of 10 - 20 tablets.

I suppose I dare not fail to declare them, and wonder if I can perhaps leave them with customs on entry, to collect when I leave, or leave them on the boat during my stay (I would anyway).

Only way to find out is to ask at each entry I suppose, and as I will declare them, I obviously won't be intent on smuggling them.
Ribbit is offline   Reply With Quote