Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-09-2017, 14:14   #16

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44
Re: May I rent your liveaboard for a period?

Yes, thank you. You have clearly articulated what was bothering me better than I could have done.
Old 23-09-2017, 15:06   #17

Boat: 32 contessa

[QUOTE=GILow;2484883]Kit_L,

The OFFICIAL line, as I recently discovered, is that you cannot live aboard a boat anywhere in NSW.

__________________________________________________ ______________

This is true ,, stupid but true , there was a young couple living on a 34 mariner cruiser in shoalhaven heads ,,
They were moved on in 14 days (after they had spent all there money setting up)
they were hurting no one and now live in there car ,,,
maybe the government should change this law ,,,,
VOTE YES FOR BOATING EQUALITY
Robert Tilbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2017, 15:09   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sojurnr View Post
I have difficulty understanding why your government (of NSW) would feel it necessary to constrain people's freedom in this respect. What interest is it to them?
even better is if we want to leave our morings for more than 14 days we need permission and we have to let thr RMS where we are going ??

i think NSW has gone comunist ??

i still love living in nowra thow ,,
Old 23-09-2017, 22:06   #19

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44

Yep, NSW has, reluctantly, gone from my live aboard plans for now. I'll have to settle for just-passing-through. Which is a pity because there are a lot of lovely locations.
Old 24-09-2017, 00:46   #20

Boat: Cape Barren Goose 37ft

The OFFICIAL line, as I recently discovered, is that you cannot live aboard a boat anywhere in NSW.

Crazy hey?

I can understand the MSB aka Waterways aka RMS having regulations against people living on their boats.
The regulations are there so authorities are able to move people on should they become a nuisance.

Unfortunately grumpy rich waterfront owners complain that someone is living aboard in their view. The BSO's are then compelled to move them on or fine and threaten to impound vessels etc.
I and many others lived on board for many years in stealth mode in Sydney and it was never a problem.

The costs of registration, moorings and the anual haul out not to mention the exponential population growth was what got me motivated to move out of NSW.

Regarding the regulations, I don't think they were meant to be enforced as they are these days. Perhaps it's the pressure of the ever growing lists of mooring applicants. Or the rediculous number of bored enforcement officers who are as they used to say "with us on the water".

By the way, it has been illegal to carry out rope sports such as abseiling, rock climbing and canyoning in NSW National Parks, but no one gets fined.

If you want to live aboard in NSW just do it in stealth mode. Say nothing, choose your location, black out your windows and hatches, hoist your dinghy (same colour as the hull) level with the deck and no drying clothes etc.
Old 24-09-2017, 01:26   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambler View Post

Crazy hey?

I can understand the MSB aka Waterways aka RMS having regulations against people living on their boats.
The regulations are there so authorities are able to move people on should they become a nuisance.

Unfortunately grumpy rich waterfront owners complain that someone is living aboard in their view. The BSO's are then compelled to move them on or fine and threaten to impound vessels etc.
I and many others lived on board for many years in stealth mode in Sydney and it was never a problem.

The costs of registration, moorings and the anual haul out not to mention the exponential population growth was what got me motivated to move out of NSW.

Regarding the regulations, I don't think they were meant to be enforced as they are these days. Perhaps it's the pressure of the ever growing lists of mooring applicants. Or the rediculous number of bored enforcement officers who are as they used to say "with us on the water".

By the way, it has been illegal to carry out rope sports such as abseiling, rock climbing and canyoning in NSW National Parks, but no one gets fined.

If you want to live aboard in NSW just do it in stealth mode. Say nothing, choose your location, black out your windows and hatches, hoist your dinghy (same colour as the hull) level with the deck and no drying clothes etc.
AMbler ,
I had a waterfront house on the georges river I met many many people that lived in stealth mode I let them fill there water tanks (back when we were not metered ) and they could tie to my warf and go into liverpool with out the worry of getting there stuff knocked off ,,, far out i even fixed there boats for free if they looked like they were doing it tough ,,,,

we rarely had RMS that far up the river they would turn around at picknick point boat shed ,,,

It was a great time back then but i crashed a Jet ski and broke my back as the house was 3 stores i had dramas so we sold up and moved south ,,
the shoalhaven river would be stealthy byt we have power lines and bridges ,,,,

hope you find a boat soon ,,,,,,
Old 24-09-2017, 07:46   #22

Boat: 2008 American Tug 34 #116

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kit_L View Post
Hello all,

This idea came to me the last time I was in Brighton, UK, teaching: the local marina there has some vessels for lease/rent.

Sorry, I like my boat too much. LOL

Someone blows up my engine or runs the boat up on the beach or sinks the boat, it better me than you.

As an alternative, you can live in my car but, no food, drinks or sex in my car. I will even throw in a free tank of gasoline.
Olddan1943 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2017, 01:08   #23

Boat: 40' custom catamaran

@ OldDan: thanks for the offer of your car, but I have two cars and a beautiful house in Greenwell Point, 50m from the water.

If I am am able to rent someone's pride and joy, to give them a break on land, we would come to an arrangement regarding anything going wrong during the leasing period. And the easiest would be to double check the insurance provisions, and add my name to the insured parties.
Kit_L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2017, 16:17   #24

Kit, I do hope you saw the humor. If not, I do apologize.

I do not know where you live so I can only discuss from past readings and in generalities.
I suspect there were many bare boat and crewed boat rentals in the Keys. After Irma, I am not sure if they are still in business.
My suggestion is to scan some boating magazines for information. Maybe you narrow it down to magazines that cater to the trawlers fans.
Old 25-09-2017, 16:31   #25

I understand the ordinances against live aboard because of the condition of the boats and behavior of those aboard. Where I am dock and "stay" for about 10 months each year, I understand live aboards are not permitted. Seems you cannot stay on your boat for more than 5 days. That has never presented a problem to me. The rules do not specify how long one needs to be off the boat so I go grocery shopping for a few hours and then like all boaters, go to the boat parts store. I am surrounded by million and multi-million condos.
I have owned the slip for more than 10 years and never had a complaint.
I know of one ot couple who "stays" aboard. I am sure there are others within the marina but, I don't know who they are.
The people who live in the condos and those who "stays" on their boats interact on a friendly basis.... exchanging niceties.
Old 25-09-2017, 16:47   #26
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

I had 20,000hrs on a 1971 Perkins, 5 ring, HT-6-354 (turbo) when I sold that boat. It has since done to loop twice From Lake Huron with it's new owner including a side trip to Honduras. He has done nothing but regular maintenance as did I.
Old 25-09-2017, 17:49   #27

OldDan, yes, I did see the humour; definitely no apology needed, but decided to mention the serious part: running aground or having an engine die while the rented boat is in one's care would be a real problem, for sure.

My larger intention wold be to live aboard for periods only; I am a writer and workshop presenter, and our schedule is known for a year or so in advance—so there are blocks I know I can do this in. I have a dock for my current boat, and I can keep this into the future, on current indications. My biggest concern is always leaving the boat (this one, or perhaps the next one) tied to a dock in all weather, and not having someone to keep an eye on it. We very recently returned from a teaching trip (London, Singapore out and back) and we were away for six weeks. I have double bow and stern lines, as well as fore and aft springs...
Old 25-09-2017, 18:08   #28

I understand your feelings. I remained on board for Irma. I had new dock lines that hadn't been stretched. I had to adjust the aft starboard line 2 or 3 times. I should have adjusted the starboard bow line but, it was doing pretty well. I have a concert dock on my port side and didn't want to rub up against it ..... I had all but 2 fenders out on the port side.
Yes, I did question the wisdom of remaining onboard twice, for less than a second each time. It was way to windy for me to leave the boat..... lots of stuff flying through the air. I more than survived. No damage to the boat and far more comfortable than the folks in the surrounding condos when we lost power for about 12 hours.
Old 25-09-2017, 18:19   #29

One of the potential problems with live aboards, especially when anchored out, is what to do with the contents of the sanitary tank. If one is dumbing overboard, I can understand the concern.
Old 26-09-2017, 01:56   #30

When I have a livaboard of my own, mod. #1 will be the fitting of a composting toilet—this just makes sense to me. Where I am, we are surrounded by oyster leases, so no dumping of sewerage can be permitted, and this is easy to understand. The (unofficial) livaboards here (we know them all) use porta-potties, and dump daily into the toilet next to the slip; this toilet is connected to the town sewers.

The second virtue of these composting toilets (may be the first, depending) is that they do not have any unpleasant smells.

Tags
liveaboard