Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-09-2017, 17:25   #31
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Re: May I rent your liveaboard for a period?

Kit-
Considering how much damage a renter could do in just one day, how expensive the vessel would be, how expensive or complicated it would be to obtain commercial insurance or to have the renter obtain adequate assigned-payee insurance...
I think you'd find that only a terribly casual or more likely, totally irresponsible person, would be willing to give their boat to a stranger for a month, or even for a week, without a damned good reason or being in a formal charter business.
Would you really want to put to sea on a boat that was owned by someone who was far more casual than The Big Lebowski? Or swap your boat with them?

But you can always pitch your idea to AirBnB, they might want to carry the business.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2017, 18:49   #32

Boat: 40' custom catamaran

hellosailor,

Like in all things, there are renters and renters. I own two boats, both well maintained, and am on the water most days. Similarly I have two well-maintained cars that have never had accidents in the many years we have owned them. We have a perfectly maintained three-year-old house we designed and built. We look after things.

I understand your point well; I would only lend either of my boats to someone I know well enough to lend them to, and I would expect to need to do something similar in the arrangement I am proposing.

As I mentioned in my first post in this thread, I am thinking and talking about this here because I have seen it done in the Brighton Marina, so know that it is at least theoretically possible.
Kit_L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2017, 04:22   #33

Boat: It’s old

Up until 10 years ago I lived onboard in Sydney for around 15 years. Never had any trouble from the Waterways officers who knew I was there. Is this liveaboard crackdown a recent thing?

I don't know why anybody would liveaboard if they had the choice. Pretty crappy way to live in my opinion. The quiet is nice, but the logistics of living are a pain in the arse. You ruin your boat too by overloading it, if it isn't big.
kimtrang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-09-2017, 04:35   #34

Boat: 2008 American Tug 34 #116

One of the many 'keys' to successful live-aboard is waste disposal. I knew of one couple who would have their tank pumped out by a man and his sanitary tank boat. How much they paid him per pump out but the guy never seemed to lack business. IF I recall correctly, the businessman catered more to the big boats that seldom had their owners on board and wanting to go to sea for the day or longer.
So if you do not have a pump service at he dock, one should investigate a floating pump out service..... or, once a week, venture out to sea and pump your sanitary tank.
Olddan1943 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2018, 19:34   #35

Boat: 40' custom catamaran

All good advice, and I now own a decent boat for living aboard and, hopefully, some lengthy travel. I will start a new thread on her; she is "Sea Biscuit", a 40' wooden trawler, built as a live-aboard from day one.
Kit_L is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
liveaboard