Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 22-11-2015, 13:02   #16

Cruisers Forum Supporter

No need to put a radiator under your berth. There are electric mattress warmers, sold to the RV and trucking industry mainly. Same as an electric blanket, but built specifically to go UNDER your mattress (or mattress topper) and warm it from below. Nice and toasty, just make sure you have the battery power for it.

hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2015, 18:25   #17

Boat: Irwin Series II 52' 1983

Even in Florida you can have that issue in winter as the boat is warmer that the water. We had a major issue the first year until we read about using the drideck. I can tell you it works really well. No problems since then.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum

Tampabayfireman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2015, 18:42   #18

Boat: PDQ 36

We've used Hypervent for a few years and live aboard in humid and sometimes cold environments. It works. It is crucial to maintain air access to the material, so no quilts draped over the side of the berth. Our berth has full access to one side and limited access on the other three.

Here is a link to Defender:

Hypervent Condensation Prevention Matting
NautiBits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2015, 19:14   #19

Boat: 45ft Ketch

An old thread but always topical.
We solved most of the mattress moisture problem by having a memory foam topper pad which has closed cells and keeps body vapour from penetrating the mattress. - Comfy too.
DumnMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2015, 11:09   #20
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: previous - Whitby 42 new - Goldenwave 44
Re: Mattresses Moisture Argh!

This is great stuff. Have used it on two boats, but it is pricey. It is VERY stiff so keeps its loft even with a very heavy person. Not sure if it is available everywhere.

HyperVent 39-50 | Fisheries Supply
exMaggieDrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2015, 11:13   #21

Boat: Bristol 45.5

I just moved my hot water tank in the compartment under the bunk . There's enough heat escaping that to keep the area warm .

typhoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-11-2015, 18:51   #22

Boat: Nauticat 43

Originally Posted by swami maximus View Post
I was wondering if anyone has some good homemade suggestions for dealing with mattress moisture. I have searched these forums but cant seem to find anything that specifically address this issue. A lot of talk about it, but not much on what to do with it. I was thinking of either taking the mattress out and drying it thoroughly, then covering it with a plastic of sorts to prevent penetrating moisture. OR... getting a bunch of milk crates and cutting them apart to form a grid and then using thick mesh to keep my foam from filling the small squares of the grid. Bunk, grid, mesh, mattress... Sound good or does anyone have a better idea?
I've been using Hypervent [as others have mentioned] or similar products for 30+ years living aboard in latitudes 56N-62N. I always run it up the sides and ends of the mattress as well. It breathes whether covered with blankets or not...

I also have been making my own fleece bedrolls [the size of the mattress] for this long as well. Much warmer and easier to 'make the bed'...

If you want something higher tech, look into the Froli system.

If you perform a 'Google custom search' on this forum you will find lots of other discussions about this topic...

Dry the mattress soon before you have mold and mildew to deal with...

SV Denali Rose

Short on opinions; focused on research, facts & experience [yours and ours...]
wrwakefield is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: