Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-04-2013, 15:28   #1

Married Couple Looking to Pay Rent to live aboard. Stamford, CT/Westchester

Hi there!

This may be unconventional, but my husband and I are looking to pay rent to live aboard a docked boat/yacht this season. We currently reside in Stamford, Connecticut and our current lease is now coming to an end. A little about us: We are a husband and wife, in our 30's who do not have any children (yet) and we love adventure! We are both professional animators with many blockbuster feature films, prime-time television shows, national television commercials, and even some hit video game titles under our belts. I am a staff employee at an animation studio in Greenwich, CT and my husband freelance animates in NYC. We're homeowners (however, our house is in CA, which is why we can't live in it at the moment and have rented it out to another professional couple) so we understand the importance of finding responsible people to take care of your investment. Frankly, we're looking for an adventure and are extremely intrigued by boat/yacht living. (We don't even need the motor key, we don't plan to actually take it out.) You see, every weekend, we walk out of our apartment in Stamford and head to the marina to admire the docked boats, the birds and the special peaceful feeling you can only get at a marina. (We've previously lived in Marina del Rey, CA and had similar wonderful marina strolls.) Anyway, one day we just thought to ourselves... wouldn't it be wonderful to live here on a boat in the marina for awhile? We thought we'd reach out and see if there is anyone who would have an interest in a professional married couple paying rent to live on their boat/yacht for the summer (or longer, we're flexible.) We dream of one day owning our own boat, so we'd consider this a great learning experience about what goes into it's maintenance (which we'd help with.) We certainly understand that this isn't super conventional... but then again, we are not the type who are bound by convention. (Becoming professional animators isn't exactly the most "conventional" career endeavor, either, but it worked out for us!) And, heck, we'll even give out some free animation lessons, if that's something that would suit your fancy! We are willing to provide references. We're looking for something in the Stamford, CT area and south through the NYC area. We'd love to hear from any interested parties and perhaps we can work out a deal! Thank you for your time and hope to hear from you very soon, just send me a message!
SunnyStrolls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2013, 10:07   #2

Boat: 1968 Pacemaker 44'.
Re: Married Couple Looking to Pay Rent to live aboard. Stamford, CT/Westchester

First, for what you will pay, have you thought of buying? Check out eBay Boats for sale in CT. Some Great deals there, compared to renting.
Renting MIGHT be doable in this economy though.
Also go to the Marina's and see what boats are for sale.

These owners might be strapped for paying for the boat's loan or the Marina Fees.
It could help them cover the expenses, and keep their boat.

If you find one you like, contact the owners and see if they would be interested. I would assume they will want you getting your own insurance, to protect them from liability. Also a large Security deposit might be requested.
You also need to find which marina's allow liveaboards.
This is an old article, but might be useful to you.

In the Region - Connecticut and Westchester - The Live-Aboard Life - Not for Everyone - NYTimes.com
Good Luck.
skipper68 is offline   Reply With Quote