Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-12-2015, 22:26   #1

Marinas Near Corpus Christi TX

Hello liveaboards!

I'm new to the forum, hope I'm posting in the right area. I'm planning on heading down to Corpus Christi next month to purchase a boat and liveaboard.

I saw an older thread while I was searching for info (2011 I think?) about my same question, but I wanted to ask to get an up to date input on the area. What marina around there do you recommend for a slip? I'd like to keep cost low of course, but I can go up to $400 a month if needed.

My previous boat was 22 feet (never lived on it), so I'm not sure I want to get anything larger than 30. I noticed some marinas in the area say 30' minimum, and the others don't specify. Is there any marina's that are fine with boats smaller than 30'? Or is it more of a pricing thing and some will let it slide if you just call it a 30' anyways?

Additionally, I'm a professional musician so if there are any marinas close to some touristy areas that's always a nice way for me to make extra cash playing at restaurants.

Thanks for the help! Any other tips about the area are much appreciated
Zhim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015, 22:11   #2

Boat: 1984 hunter 34
Re: Marinas Near Corpus Christi TX

Check out Corpus Christi City Marina on the Internet.You can step right off your boat into a bar or restaurant. My avatar is my boat at that very marina.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
spraygun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2015, 10:57   #3

Boat: 1998 PDQ 36 Capella Classic

Its a bit further out from Corpus, but a very nice liveaboard marina:
Island Moorings Marina Port Aransas Texas
Krakato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2015, 18:31   #4

Thanks for the info guys!

Looked up Corpus Christi Marina, and it seems they have a 30 foot minimum. I wonder though if I dress nice and call something a little smaller 30' if I can get away with it... I've been looking at more 30' boats just for this reason really, seems to be a standard in many states along the Gulf.

Island Moorings looks just about perfect! I do my work online and have a mobile router on Sprint (I know I know lol). Anyone happen to have Sprint and been through the area to see what coverage was like? I may just end up at that marina.

Thanks again!
Old 13-12-2015, 22:11   #5

Boat: 2019 Seawind 1160 Lite

I have a house there, and Sprint. Reception is horrible. Too bad because good using sprint in other areas. I kept my boat at marina there while we were waiting on dock to be done. Friendly people there. I think rate was around $325 per month for 33 ft boat plus metered elec. They have marina WiFi but weak signal also.
sailjumanji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2015, 07:43   #6

Good to know. I guess I might have to find a virtual office for managing my work then. Man, $325 a month. And I've been paying $800 a month for a house all this time!
Old 14-12-2015, 08:17   #7

Is unlikely you'll be able to call something under 30' foot ,30',since they will want a current copy of your insurance.
Island Moorings is nice but can be pricey.When we were there we paid just under $500 a month with electricity.And no liveaboard.Nice big pool and bar.Ok security gate.24hr.a day security in Corpus.With key fobs for dock entrance.Getting on and off the island is extremely difficult during summer,because of the massive ferry backup.It can go over 2hrs to to get on and easily an hour to get off.Otherwise you have to to travel south down the coast on FM361,and go all the way around the bay,back up to Corpus.
If you need to play music for money.Check out all the clubs and bars along the first couple of blocks of Shoreline dr.I have not seen anyone playing music that I can Remember in Port Aransas. There clubs and bars In Flour Bluff near Padre Island if you choose Island Moorings.That may be your only other option.No ferry wait.But long slow drive at times.

Old 14-12-2015, 10:56   #8

Making money playing music isn't necessary because I do have a job online, but it's always a nice extra for entertainment and food spending. That wait for getting on and off the island does concern me though, I hadn't thought of that. Do you know if IM had a minimum length for liveaboard? It looks like their smallest slip is 32' so I wonder if it makes much difference to them. I'm so used to lakes, the way this all goes in saltwater is uncharted territory to me!

Thanks for all the information, I really appreciate it!

Edit: Just found this thread from a few months ago:

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ng-152123.html

That helped me a lot too.
Old 14-12-2015, 16:48   #9

Boat: 1980 Morgan 415

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhim View Post
Making money playing music isn't necessary because I do have a job online, but it's always a nice extra for entertainment and food spending. That wait for getting on and off the island does concern me though, I hadn't thought of that. Do you know if IM had a minimum length for liveaboard? It looks like their smallest slip is 32' so I wonder if it makes much difference to them. I'm so used to lakes, the way this all goes in saltwater is uncharted territory to me!

Thanks for all the information, I really appreciate it!

Edit: Just found this thread from a few months ago:

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ng-152123.html

That helped me a lot too.

Rockport/Fulton has a couple of marinas plus you might be able to play some music there.

I'm headed down that way. I may be able to put you in touch with a band or 2.

Waiting on parts for the 4-154
Old 19-12-2015, 02:04   #10
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1990 Macintosh 47, "Merlin"

We are in the city marina in Port Aransas. Currently they do not allow new live aboards. As you noted, CC city marina has a 30 foot minimum, and you won't get away with anything less. We would be in island moorings, except for out 6' plus draft, and the bugs in the summer.

The ferry problem is WAY overstated, unless you need to go that way. CC is the other way. Also be aware that the ferry isn't always busy. Even in season, we can drive right on, on a Sunday evening.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
bstreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2015, 07:31   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by spraygun View Post
Island Moorings is nice but can be pricey.When we were there we paid just under $500 a month with electricity.And no liveaboard.Nice big pool and bar.Ok security gate.24hr.a day security in Corpus.With key fobs for dock entrance.

Wow, I had a 33 ft boat in Island Moorings for two years. We just moved it from there early this summer, to have work done in Kemah. My rate was $325 per month, plus metered elec. You must have used a lot of electricity to be spending that much. If interested, person can contact IM for their rates.
Old 19-12-2015, 07:40   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by bstreep View Post
We are in the city marina in Port Aransas. Currently they do not allow new live aboards. As you noted, CC city marina has a 30 foot minimum, and you won't get away with anything less. We would be in island moorings, except for out 6' plus draft, and the bugs in the summer.

The ferry problem is WAY overstated, unless you need to go that way. CC is the other way. Also be aware that the ferry isn't always busy. Even in season, we can drive right on, on a Sunday evening.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
My perspective, having owned a house in IM for three years now, and boat in the marina for a couple of years up until this summer. I don't know what IM draft is, but there are a bunch of very large boats in here. If over six feet though, I can imagine there might be some spots in Piper Channel that you bump. I seem to remember everything before over 8 ft, except maybe getting too close to the side of channel.

Bugs I am not aware of. There are times of year that the mosquitos can get bad in the yard during late day, but I don't ever remember them being an issue on the boat in the marina. Onshore at city marina would have same issue with mosquitos.

Ferry, OTOH, can be horrible. We learned in summer tourist season to avoid Friday evening ferry ride coming from Aransas Pass, and Sunday morning thru early afternoon going to Aransas Pass. Think about tourists getting on and off of the island.

The draw here - which is why we retired here - is the water is much clearer than Galveston area, and there are some great places to sail and fish, as well as gulf access pretty close. Not cheap living. Everything you could want in a bigger city is 25 minutes away in Corpus Christi.
Old 19-12-2015, 13:35   #13

Thanks again guys!

Island Moorings is looking better every day in my search. Think I might end up trying it out. I can always move later. Mosquitoes can be annoying, I've put up with them every summer because we had a pond in the yard. I can't imagine a zapper is a great solution on a boat though.

I've always enjoyed smaller towns within an hour to city life. I lived in downtown Albuquerque and that was too much city or me to handle. Being able to get into CC when I want will be nice, and it'll be even nicer to not be stuck there at night.

@Cap Eric3 If a band you know needs a classical guitarist let me know! Mostly I stick to solo work because of the freedom it gives me, ensembles always ended up costing me more time than I made money to make it worth it. Every band is a new experience!

I'm pretty much all packed up and ready to get down there. Sold just about everything I own other than a guitar and whatever fits in my car and backpack and have been going back and forth with a few people about boats. Now to spend Christmas with my folks before life on the water.
Old 28-12-2015, 11:44   #14

Just wanted to say thanks one more time to everyone who replied and gave me advice!

I'm all set to leave the Municipal Marina tomorrow for a slip I've rented in IM. It does seem rather expensive but I think it will be good for at least my first two months aboard. I'll mostly be taking sailing lessons on other boats and completely redoing the electrical on this Catalina 22 I bought, so that long channel between the marina and bay won't be so bad.

Once again a big thanks to all of you!
Old 28-12-2015, 14:17   #15

It is nice to get first hand knowledge.Hope you can avoid the ferry and terrible traffic.Have fun.

Tags
marinas