Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-01-2016, 05:14   #16

Re: Marina slips in the keys

Boot Key mooring are $320.00 a month.

Very little crime and someone is always watching.

Chat with a regular and they will watch your boat.

My 5th winter here.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2016, 05:44   #17

Location: Panama / Bahamas / Newport RI / Marathon Fl (now mostly)
Boat: Bristol CC 41.1

Boot Key Anchorage is like its own town within a town...... It's uncanny the people you run into with every day shopping, business, etc. in Marathon that live on the ball out there. Many are from all over the world. If everyone left the anchorage today Marathon would go into a deep Depression tomorrow. It is an important part of the community and there is a lot of nautical know how there. It's well protected from the weather as well.
sailingfarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2016, 07:11   #18

Boat: Schucker 436 motorsailor

$450 ?
sailalibi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2016, 08:50   #19

Boat: Scout 30

I've sailed through Marathon on the way to the Bahamas but have never grabbed a mooring there. However, from what I've read it sounds like the go to place in the Keys if you want to stay for a while. Do sailors usually settle in for the winter there or do they come & go? Also, if the moorings are full is anchoring there regulated & how's the holding? I know that the moorings come with a number of benefits including access to a dinghy dock. If you're anchored there can you also use the dinghy dock? Also, if you have a mooring & you drop it to go sailing do you lose it?
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2016, 09:58   #20

[QUOTE=Scout 30;2018718]I've sailed through Marathon on the way to the Bahamas but have never grabbed a mooring there. However, from what I've read it sounds like the go to place in the Keys if you want to stay for a while. Do sailors usually settle in for the winter there or do they come & go? Also, if the moorings are full is anchoring there regulated & how's the holding? I know that the moorings come with a number of benefits including access to a dinghy dock. If you're anchored there can you also use the dinghy dock? Also, if you have a mooring & you drop it to go sailing do you lose it?[/QUOTE
Old 17-01-2016, 10:12   #21

A lot (most) cruisers pass thru BKH on their way south this time of year. A wait list of 2 to 3 weeks for a ball is not uncommon. Anchoring is iffy close to the city marina but is available on Sisters creek and at the harbors West entrance. You can dinghy into the marina for showers, laundry, workroom etc. but there is daily,weekly, monthly fee schedule for this. Most boats will go south as windows open up so it's worth the wait IMO. Everything is available in town within a mile or so walk.
Hope this helps.
Old 17-01-2016, 10:15   #22

And no, you can sail off your mooring anytime...it's yours.
Old 17-01-2016, 14:21   #23

They can be touchy about the liveaboard rules. They claim it is not for storage but I see many un-occupied boats for weeks at a time.

For many It is home year round. For others like me, it is our winter home. We take short trips out to other Keys and as long as the rent is paid our ball is there.

There are 30 to 40 boats waiting to cross to the Bahamas. There have been waiting lists in the past but not this bad in the 5 years we have been here.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2016, 15:12   #24

Boat: Endeavourcat Sailcat 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
They can be touchy about the liveaboard rules. They claim it is not for storage but I see many un-occupied boats for weeks at a time.

For many It is home year round. For others like me, it is our winter home. We take short trips out to other Keys and as long as the rent is paid our ball is there.

There are 30 to 40 boats waiting to cross to the Bahamas. There have been waiting lists in the past but not this bad in the 5 years we have been here.
The waiting list wqs 51 yesterday.
Captain Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2016, 15:56   #25

Boat: Scout 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailalibi View Post
A lot (most) cruisers pass thru BKH on their way south this time of year. A wait list of 2 to 3 weeks for a ball is not uncommon. Anchoring is iffy close to the city marina but is available on Sisters creek and at the harbors West entrance. You can dinghy into the marina for showers, laundry, workroom etc. but there is daily,weekly, monthly fee schedule for this. Most boats will go south as windows open up so it's worth the wait IMO. Everything is available in town within a mile or so walk.
Hope this helps.
Thanks for the info. We're hoping to head down to the Keys next year.
Scout 30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2016, 16:18   #26

Location: Panama / Bahamas / Newport RI / Marathon Fl (now mostly)
Boat: Bristol CC 41.1

If it's the Keys... wise sailors go to Marathon.... the island is made up of boaters... although the Keys Disease ...(feeling lazy, what's the rush?, have another beer, etc.) is contagious. But you can get it done and meet a lot a characters and good people. The weather is good generally too. Although El Nino is a bad nino this year. Starting to look like the Nantucket of the south.
sailingfarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2016, 18:36   #27
Marine Service Provider

Location: floating around ... hopefully in aqua clear swimming pool water!
Boat: 1985 Passport 37

Stock Island Marina Village, just outside of Key West. Nice new marina. Floating concrete docks. Shuttle vans to downtown KW, 3.4 miles away. Great base!

https://commutercruiser.com
sv Winterlude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2016, 19:38   #28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

I've been through the same search. We are 58 feet and 6'-8" draft. Pretty well stuck with anchoring out I think.

thanks for the tips.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2016, 01:07   #29

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot

I did not see where the op mentioned are you looking to transient dock at marinas or are you looking to take your sandals off and stay a while? 5 ft draft is very doable and there are dozens of marinas all over the keys both ocean side and bayside. Half arent worth it for transient dockage as there are nicer places to anchor and you get a Breeze.

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2016, 04:54   #30
Marine Service Provider

Location: floating around ... hopefully in aqua clear swimming pool water!
Boat: 1985 Passport 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholson58 View Post
I've been through the same search. We are 58 feet and 6'-8" draft. Pretty well stuck with anchoring out I think.
Stock Island Marina Village can accommodate 58' and 6'8" draft easily - there's an 86' Nordhaven on G Dock right now along with a couple other larger yachts. Busy place this time of year, though. Good Luck!

https://commutercruiser.com
sv Winterlude is offline   Reply With Quote