Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-03-2012, 08:04   #1

Boat: 1974 islander 44
Marina"s Between San Pedro And Dana Point Ca

Yikes , there must be about a gazillion , going to drive over to the coast today , and would love some recommendations for liveaboard marinas in this area. Drove around last weekend and found a couple..... Cabrillo way marina in San Pedro was decent price for the area and allows liveaboard. Dana point was beautiful but somebody needs to die before you can get a boat in there..... Looking to bring our 44 foot islander down here in June, and I will be working in riverside for about a year. Need to find a place soon. Any suggestions or favorites ? Thanks in advance for any suggestions or recommends
Looking on my iPad or iPhone at active captain or google earth or Navionics just has way to many places to check them all out
Thx , Bob
Svsilvergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2012, 18:18   #2

Boat: Islander, Freeport, 36
Re: Marina"s Between San Pedro And Dana Point Ca

CYM and Cabrillo way in San Pedro:
1. waiting list at CYM for liveaboard not sure about Cabrillo way
2. the wind blows like stink up there everyday, a protected slip behind the hotel would be preferred.
3. If you want a quite, sleepy marina, without anything to do within walking distance, San Pedro is perfect.

Long Beach is Rainbow Harbor, Shoreline, and Alamitos Bay
1. You need a slip before getting on the livaboard waiting list, so you would want to get a slip ASAP. The wait is probably 4-6 months now for livaboard.
2. These Marinas are the best for walking to restuarants and entertainment, Rainbow and Shoreline more so then Alamitos.
3. Probably your best choice if you have to drive to riverside everyday. however unless you start work early or late your screwed the 91 is a parking lot during rush hours.

and then there is Newport.
1. Expensive (probably around 1300/month for a 44)
2. No liveaboards.
3. Great central Orange County location

A few other things note worthy, San Pedro and Long Beach are best for sailing to Catalina. CYM doesn't have electronic key fobs.......yet. Alamitos and Rainbow doesn't have electronic key fobs, neither does Newport or Dana Point.
3 Sheets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2012, 20:45   #3

Boat: 1974 islander 44
Thx 3 sheets.
Found a few in marina del Rey , and one on Newport beach. 1500 for live aboard. More than I wanted to pay , but the shortest drive to corona by far. Not going to bring the boat down here till June , and the marina on Newport will only hold the slip if I start paying slop rent right now. Yikes that's $4500 bucks for nothing. But I'm prolly gonna jump on it , industry to tye it up.
Svsilvergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2012, 08:46   #4

Boat: Laguna Windrose 26'
Hubby and I are at Newmark's in Wilmington. There's a bunch of marinas all next to each other here. Might be worth checking out since its cheaper than Long Beach. Though attractions, restaurants, etc aren't walking distance, we're a hop skip and a jump from both San Pedro and Long Beach. Fwys are right here too
LadyDeMize is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2012, 09:09   #5

Boat: too many
Re: Marina"s Between San Pedro And Dana Point Ca

You might want to reconsider commuting on the 91, I used to and it is a nightmare. Use the toll road or go scenic and twisty 74 from Dana Point to Lake Elsinore and 15.
deckofficer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dana point