Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-10-2015, 14:08   #16

Boat: Teak Yawl, 37'
Re: Marina Parking Situation

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacomaSailor View Post
But, it is a beautiful place to be on a boat!
Life is just a series of trade-offs. I drive 15 miles to work and don't encounter another vehicle. I park at the end of the marina dock.

The scenery here is arguably much better than San Diego with a good four seasons to boot. The attached picture was taken standing in the cockpit my boat Sunday morning, Oct 11, 2015.

Clearly, you made the choice to fight with hundreds of people for a parking place. I made the same trade with a different outcome.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Lac Labelle Color Treeline 10-11-2015 sm.jpg
Views:	507
Size:	78.8 KB
ID:	110936  
LakeSuperior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2015, 14:44   #17

Boat: Caliber 40

Given a full vote - I would move the boat back to the Pacific NW and live in a quiet marina in the San Juan Islands

BUT - my wife got used to the warm (really HOT the last week) year round, near perfect climate, and she wants to stay here.

We are serious bicycle riders and San Diego can not be beat on that account. Year round road and dirt riding in 65 to 80 degree clear and sunny weather. Seven thousand foot mountains with hundreds of miles of paved road and at least that much single track and fire road riding is just one-hour from our boat.

We can ride a different single track trail twice a week and not have to repeat any trail more than once a year and never spend more than two hours driving there.

We have three big grocery stores, ten marine stores, two big libraries, hundreds of bars and restaurants, three huge parks, and every conceivable specialty store within a 20-minute bicycle ride from our marina.

She is sure the parking inconvenience is more that offset by never having to wear anything but shorts and a tee shirt. As you say - life is a tradeoff.
TacomaSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2015, 14:51   #18

Boat: President 43 Sportfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacomaSailor View Post
...- The 100 parking spaces closest to the docks will be marked to indicate that only those actively using their boats can park in them

- The 100 parking spaces that are next closest to the docks will be marked "For use only by marina tenants"...It will be up to the parking management company to enforce the proposed regulations...
Good luck with that.
Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2015, 14:52   #19

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
welcome to san diego.
you speak as if this were a new issue. unfortunately this issue is chronic and long duration problem. good luck with it.
san diego is not the pair a dice folks expect, it is a trap. get out and sail south where pair a dice begins, more south than ensenada, btw.... rodl.. sad but this is soooo common in san diego.
san diego epitomizes money talks, sadly.
Yup...All about money in SD Bay. No money?....move along now....nothing to see here...move along please.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2015, 14:57   #20

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

I met a chap in A9 anchorage on my way down to Mx. He had a Force 50 that had it's drive shaft pulled outta da coupling. The incident did very little damage to the under-body and could have been fixed in the water. His bill for towing in, then to a marina (name starts with "D"), re-coupled and relaunched...$12,000.00. Yup...that place sees ya comin! I guess it's like being frisked by TSA at the airpart prior to departure.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2015, 15:07   #21
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Check the lease, the planning commission for planning or approval rules--in writing not just what someone says they were--and again the zoning requirements.

If the parking lot was simply unregulated private property that the management was kind enough to let you use, with no obligations....

Perhaps they would be willing to meet with all the liveaboards, who made dinner reservations for prime time on the same Saturday night and parked in the restaurant parking lot while ordering a "dinner" of one cup of coffee.

And taking their time to sit back and enjoy it.

Might be so good, you'd need to do that on a daily basis for a while.

Isn't courtesy a wonderful thing?
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-10-2015, 15:24   #22

Boat: Caliber 40

"The scenery here is arguably much better than San Diego with a good four seasons to boot. The attached picture was taken standing in the cockpit my boat Sunday morning, Oct 11, 2015. "

Early March - 5 miles into the Pacific Ocean and Christmas Day hiking at 4000 feet in the mountains 40 miles east of our boat
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	EarlyMarchSailing.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	225.5 KB
ID:	110939   Click image for larger version

Name:	Espinosa Trail Five.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	447.4 KB
ID:	110940  

TacomaSailor is offline   Reply With Quote