Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-11-2012, 21:37   #1

Marina on east coast

I'm from California and have little knowledge of sailing on the east coast, but I have been reading a lot both in books and online. I'm hoping to arrive on the east coast in May 2013 and will be wanting to establish a home base (marina) for five months. During this time I want to do extensive work on my Bavaria 42 and would therefore like to have access to marine supplies and if possible a boat yard though I can travel for that if necessary.

I see one big difference in the east as opposed to out on the Pacific. Here nearly every marina can handle 6.5-foot draft with feet to spare. That doesn't seem like the case on the Atlantic coast. Also, many of the marinas are up rivers and access to good sailing takes considerable time. Maybe that is why many of the photos I see are of marinas full of power boats, not sail boats.

Please give me your suggestion on possible marinas that can provide access to supplies and good sailing. My first choice would be Delaware, but maybe the Chesapeake Bay would be good. But anything north of 31N would be fine.

I look forward to your suggestions.

Marcus
mlibkind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-11-2012, 22:11   #2

Boat: islandpacket
Take alook at Deltaville virgina
Old 16-11-2012, 22:22   #3

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
Re: Marina on east coast

Rummaging around in my memory - North of 31N is north of Brunswick, Georgia.

So the big consideration is your desire to do "extensive work" which means access to marine parts and supply houses, etc.

Probably the best area for that is the Chesapeake Bay region. However factoring in D-I-Y boatyards maybe Tolchester Maryland might be something to look at. If you set up your residence in Delaware you can avoid a look of taxes and stuff.

See: Tolchester Marina in Chestertown, Maryland, United States - Home
But they say they only 6 ft of water at mean low water. But there is about 2 ft of tide there.

Another option is Summit North Marina on the C&D Canal in Delaware. See: http://www.summitnorthmarina.com/ They definitely have plenty of water depth.

Further south in the Carolinas and Georgia the weather is a bit better in the winter and the D-I-Y boatyards are - IMHO - a bit more liberal in what they allow you to do. If you like being out in the "boonies" and not having much to distract you from working on the boat then definitely the Carolinas and Georgia - if not, then the Chesapeake form Norfolk north offers quite a few major cities for non-boat playtime.

Parts and stuff can be mailed or shipped from the major discount boat suppliers without much difficulty. And you may find some good local used boat parts stores all along the Atlantic Intracoastal Waterway.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2012, 00:37   #4

Boat: L 34

Depending on how far north you're prepared to go, there a number of boatyards around Mystic Seaport that will let you DIY. Winter is a problem tho'. As a marina with competent, helpfull people, I enjoyed my stay at Dodsons Stonington. They will not let you work on the outside "below the toerail!"
holmek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2012, 03:44   #5

Boat: Ericson, 28+
Send a message via Skype™ to Gelfling
Quote:
Originally Posted by Badsanta
Take alook at Deltaville virgina
+1. This is where we are and we enjoy it a lot! It is far from `big city` but definitely a boating town. If this area goes on your short list......PM me and I will give you more details.
Gelfling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2012, 06:17   #6

Boat: Island Packet 380 - Delta Blues

6.5' draft isn't a problem for most marinas on the East Coast. Another factor you may want to consider is summer heat. Unless you like working in hot and humid weather, you may want to consider staying away from the southern states and looking farther north.

https://sailingdeltablues.com/
dennisjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2012, 07:40   #7

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Herrington Harbor North, Deale, MD, south of Annapolis about 25 mins by car.

It's a primo marina with the normal stuff (laundry, etc.) plus "resort" amenities -- pool, extensive grounds, picnic areas, onsite breakfast place, etc. It's also a working boatyard with several onsite marine businesses including at least one boat builder (think they've got a 70-footer online just now), fabricators, detailers, etc., and (I think) a sail loft. Onsite West Marine. Decent restaurant "next door" (actually looks onsite, to me). Other restaurants in the small town. Bicycle recommended for getting around the marina grounds and into town, dinghy also useful for access to a couple of the town restaurants. See Active Captain.

Another option might be Jabin Yacht Yard in Annapolis, MD. I don't know details, but I've been near the place and seen it... not a resort, but it also gets good reviews as a working boatyard and decent marina.

A third option, also without the resort stuff, might be Hartge's in Galesville, MD. Good marina, working boatyard... ahtough they also might not be a DIY sorta place, can't remember. Ditto see AC.

There's also Holiday Point Marina, Edgewater, MD... just south of Annapolis in Selby Bay, right near the mouth of the South River. I've been over there from time to time and it's an OK marina, looks like several marine services on site, and some of those get good reviews from some of our dock mates. Pretty much all things nautical available somewhere in Annapolis. Our own marina is "enroute" to Holiday Point, so to speak, and has some decent features, but we don't have the draft you'll need.

-Chris
Old 17-11-2012, 11:30   #8

Boat: Dickerson ketch, 36'

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger42c View Post
A third option, also without the resort stuff, might be Hartge's in Galesville, MD. Good marina, working boatyard... ahtough they also might not be a DIY sorta place, can't remember.
-Chris
There are now two Hartge's in Galesville. Hartge's Yacht Harbor is mostly a marina with a few marine railways. Hartge's Yacht Yard is the working boatyard with a few slips. They DO allow DIY, but also have good staff if you need help. Not cheap though. My boat spent a winter at HYY. PM me for details if you wish.

Fair winds,
The Way
The Way is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-11-2012, 12:00   #9

Boat: islandpacket
If you are doing most of your work and plan on living in your boat while working on it and dont have to drive to another job. The cheapest place I have found is Jennins boat yard in Reedville virginia. Great people, just off the bay. Did I say inexpensive! Great view of the fish plant, but I'm not there for the view.
Old 19-11-2012, 12:13   #10

Boat: ODay 34

White Rocks Marina is one of the cheapest in the upper Chesapeake. Almost any type of store within 20mins ... including Harbor Freight (cheap made in china tools that when they go over the side you just say "Oh Well")

I'm originally from Newport RI and would say you'll enjoy sailing that area ... but summer slips are expensive. I'm also looking for a summer slip up north away from the heat this year.
MeGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2012, 16:45   #11
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

Delaware is tough. Only two choice come to mind.

Delaware City Marina on the North/Delaware Bay end of the C&D canal.

DELAWARE CITY MARINA - WELCOME!The marina survived Hurricane Sandy's direct hit without damage.* All boats rode the storm well, at dock or in the yard.* Water levels never left the sea wall.* Thanks to everyone who helped prepare and manage the storm

Nice little town. Two West Marine stores w/in 20 minutes. Grainger and other industrial supplies ditto. Decent do it yourself/live aboard marina. Decent owners.

We are here and draw 6.5. Bump once in a while going in and out over the bar. Marina has floating docks on an abandoned stretch of the the C&D canal. 9 out of 12 hours the water flows South. Pretty much freshish. Good crabs, and catfish.

Delaware Bay is no great shakes for sailing. Not a lot of place to go. But if you are here for a short time it would be OK.

Second would be Summit Marina about half way through the C&D canal. Can't speak to it personally.

Summit North Marina - Home Page

A bit closer to the Chesapeake. But even once you get out of the canal you are pretty draft limited for quite a long way at 6.5.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2012, 16:53   #12

Boat: Finnsailer 38

A lot depends on the particular five months you want to be here. North of the Chesapeake marina slips are ridiculously expensive and nearly impossible to find on a short-term basis. Having said that, I myself would prefer to be in the climate of Massachusetts or Maine in the summer--the Chesapeake is brutally hot and humid from June through August. Slips are much more reasonable and available though. You don't really want to be anywhere south of Norfolk from June through October due to hurricanes. Chesapeake is your best bet, but watch out for Maryland's excise tax, which is heavily enforced.
Old 20-11-2012, 06:02   #13

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris

Delaware City Marina was always my favorite stop northbound. However, it is located in the old abandoned leg of the original C& D canal that has silted in over the decades. So you will need to check very carefully the entrance depth and the tide,

The boatyard portion is a very small area just across the road from the canal side dock. But I suspect that you could pretty much whatever you want there. And the cream on the coffee (considering the tax men's greed in neighboring States) is this from The Delaware City Marina website:
DELAWARE'S TAXMAN SAYS 'YES' TO BOATERS!
Out-of-state boaters really enjoy the fact that Delaware Revenue agents don't cruise the boatyard or the docks looking for guests that may have grown roots.

And also, the little village of Delaware City is delightful.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2012, 06:32   #14

Boat: Cape Cod Shipbuilders Bullseye

Deltaville, VA might fit your needs. There is a West Marine store there, several boat yards and several yachty marinas too. Sailmaker and canvas shop there also.
CCBullseye is offline   Reply With Quote