Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Life Aboard a Boat > Liveaboard's Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-09-2011, 00:48   #31

Boat: Deja Vu - Catalina 36 MK I
Re: Marina Just Called, My Livaboard Slip is Available!

OK Captain Randy, what did you decide?? It's been 3 months.

Mike
MikeinLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 11:30   #32

Boat: Cheoy Lee Pedrick 41' 1986

Well the wife wasn't ready just yet so I don't want the added cost right now. So going to start over on the waiting list and re-evaluate when our name comes up again.

Stay tuned I will make it someday

Capt. Randy
Captain Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 17:16   #33

Boat: Endeavour 32

Did "someday" come yet?
Compactorguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 18:04   #34

Boat: Columbia 41

You do realize, don't you, that the wife will never be "ready". Change your dream or change your wife. Oh, yes. If you change your wife you will also be changing your boat. Checkmate.
Sam Plan B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 19:35   #35

Boat: Mariner 39

All great recommendations above (especially separating your office clothes from you boating clothes and storm gear). I only have 3 items to add:
1) Moisture is usually a problem on boats, so I keeps a hanger style Dampx in my closet but keep something between the Dampx and your suits because of the smell. I’ve seen rechargeable dehumidifier for the closet but have tried one yet (Eva-dry Renewable E-333 Wireless Mini Dehumidifier). If you try it, let me know how it works.
2) Do either or both of you have an office (or gym near or at the office) and if so, is there a place to hang a couple suit bags. I used to keep 2-3 suits bags on the back of my door, each suit bag had a full outfit; suit, shirt, shoes and all needed accessories for that outfit. I’d ride into work on my bike with a casual day-to-day outfit and then switch into the suit on ‘meeting' days.
3) If possible, have separate dressing areas or hope that one of you is an early riser. Boats are tight and seem tighter when your both trying to get changed in the same space at the same time. My clothing and closet are up forward, so I have plenty of space to get changed at my own pace.
ashmun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 08:17   #36

Capt. Randy;
Before we moved onto a boat my wife started getting cold feet but at that point it was too late, we already sold our house and gave away/disposed of most of our belongings. She doesn't regret it for one second now. Don't put off living your dream, you'll regret it. Fair winds Capt. Randy
pyeguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2017, 19:17   #37

Ahoy once again,
Well its been 4 years now since I originally posted. We moved the boat from Shoreline Marina in Long Beach to Alamitos Bay, Long Beach and still living in the condo. So much great advise before. Put our name on the list in Alamitos a year ago and of course was told again 3-5 years. Well guess what...........! Marina called again today and we can take a live aboard slot and keep our same slip on our dock which we do really enjoy. Cruise away time frame is Nov. 2019 to head for Mexico.

Still have the corporate jobs, all the crap in the condo and a couple of sweet pooches to find homes for. We do feel more ready to take the plunge and take the slip and perhaps do a more gradual move on over the next maybe 6 months. Just thought I would reach out again for some more great advise. Who knows with the money we save maybe we can get out of here a year early.

Your constructive thoughts are very welcome and thanks so much

Capt. Randy
Old 24-08-2017, 11:52   #38

Boat: bavaria, 49 ft. sailboat

Thank you for posting. Glad to see you planned on this for 2013, and time frame now fall of 2019. I had planned for 2016 and it looks more like 2020 and getting depressed, so seeing your plan continues and you really are finally moving forward is an inspiration for me. A lot of times there are things we cannot control that push the date back and a person can kind of give up hope as the years go by. Nice to be reminded that a date is just that. We'll enjoy it no matter when it happens. Good fortune and keep everyone posted when you actually take off for cruising.
In Training is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2017, 12:30   #39

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

In July 2011 your sail away date was November 2013. You were then contemplating moving aboard. You did not do so. Your spouse wasn't ready then. Now you have another chance to move aboard and your sail away date is November 2019. It's six years since you first posted (2011) about living aboard and then sailing away two years later (2013).

Before you do anything ask yourself why you didn't go in 2013. If nothing catastrophic happened to delay your date till 2019 what makes you think you'll actually go in 2019? In 2019 you both will be eight years older than when your first opportunity to move aboard arose, I don't know about you but with me major changes in life are more difficult to make as I get older.

Frankly if you don't do it now I don't think you'll ever do it. Those are my thoughts. Sailing away is not for everyone nor is living aboard. There's no shame in wanting to live ashore. After my winter six months aboard I'm more than ready to live ashore again. It's your decision, not ours. Just bear in mind that life, being what it is, might not offer you this opportunity again.
Old 24-08-2017, 14:29   #40

Hi Vasco,
In 2013 we were told 3-5 years, the boat wasn't near ready and clearly nor were we. Now the boat is very close to ready and we have more cash in the kitty and as time has gone on we are ready to create a new chapter and adventure. I am 58 and she is 62 so yea its time to make a move and put this in motion.

The wife and I had a great discussion last night. So....as an update I just called the marina and am taking the live aboard. We are going to do a phased move on over the next 6 months, get rid of all our stuff and planning on April to be living aboard full time. Financially, we may make it out cruising sooner but in the mean time we are moving forward, finally.

Thanks for the kick in the pants and agree it time to get a move on.

CR
Old 24-08-2017, 17:53   #41

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Randy View Post
Hi Vasco,
In 2013 we were told 3-5 years, the boat wasn't near ready and clearly nor were we. Now the boat is very close to ready and we have more cash in the kitty and as time has gone on we are ready to create a new chapter and adventure. I am 58 and she is 62 so yea its time to make a move and put this in motion.

The wife and I had a great discussion last night. So....as an update I just called the marina and am taking the live aboard. We are going to do a phased move on over the next 6 months, get rid of all our stuff and planning on April to be living aboard full time. Financially, we may make it out cruising sooner but in the mean time we are moving forward, finally.

Thanks for the kick in the pants and agree it time to get a move on.

CR
Great! It's a big move but most everyone that's done it have not regretted the decision. All the best in your future cruising days.
Old 24-08-2017, 18:22   #42

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42

Hello Randy. We were neighbors in Shoreline Marina and are now near again in Alamitos Bay marina. We gave up our Shoreline slip, moved aboard and went sailing. We were away for 3 years and loved every minute of it. Family concerns brought us back to Long Beach. We aren't live aboard right now but are at the boat most days and usually 3 nights a week. All I can tell you is GO DO IT. If it works out that you can keep doing it that's great. If it works out that your cruise isn't forever that's okay too. If you don't give it a try you'll always regret it.
Tayana42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2017, 20:30   #43

Location: Thhe boat is in Titusville, FL and we're back in CO for a few months resupplying the cruising kitty and raising money for our childrens dental charity www.sailing4smiles.com
Boat: 1982 Cape Dory 36 Hull #78

Good luck Randy, we bought our boat 2 years ago and have been working half steadily to make the move to live aboard in Jan 2018 and shove off before hurricane season. Our difficulty is we live in Colorado and the boat is in Corpus Christi, so it's a hump to get down there every 6-8 weeks to work on her, but we do the best we can.
We're not retiring, just quitting work. We'll be broke but hopefully we'll go out of this world with one less regret and some really great memories.
Don't let anyone get you down. Read their profiles first and see what they're doing or have done. If they don't have a profile filled out, ignore them. There's a lot of armchair sailors here. Never take marriage advice from someone that's never been married.
Hopefully Hurricane Harvey will leave our boat in good shape..... I guess we'll see. Our next trip is over labor day.
SSgtPitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2017, 08:57   #44

Ahoy neighbor. Thanks so much for the encouragement. We are excited to move forward with a new chapter to get out of this life long routine. Work, eat sleep, repeat. There is much to do over the winter to get rid of everything but with the end goal in site it should go well. Patty and I have enjoyed our visits with you two and look forward to seeing you around the marina a bit more.

Look for us on Restless Soul, dock 9, slip 13. (we even get to keep our same slip!)

CR
Old 25-08-2017, 09:07   #45

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42

[emoji106]
Tayana42 is offline   Reply With Quote