Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-08-2009, 05:13   #1

Boat: Pearson Triton 28'6" S/V Alcyone
Send a message via Yahoo to TritonSailor
Marathon, FL Liveaboard?

Hi Everyone,

I thought I beat to death my last thread, so I thought I would start another one with some things that I found and questions.

You can get a mooring ball on the Florida Keys in Marathon for 265.00/month. I would consider a dock for 14.50/ft a month but I don't know how much liability for 300,000 would cost. I guess they require it to dock there. Here's their website:

The City of Marathon FL - Official Website

Another one was harbor city. For a long term liveaboard, what would be better, mooring or dock. Right now I have no dinghy, as well as the fact that I have no way to hook up external power. I still need to engineer the electrical system. One prize I do have, which I'm glad I didn't bring back, was the Raymarine E80 series superpack I bought early on. Talk about putting the cart before the horse. Well anyway, I'm just wondering if I should direct my efforts on trying to get a dinghy or concentrate on building access to external power.

regards

Jeff
TritonSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2009, 12:43   #2

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha Jeff,
Your question is so specific to a location that you might title it: Marathon, FL liveaboards or some such thing. Just a suggestion.
I don't know the answers.
After my signature line there is a link to a good search engine.
regards
Old 18-08-2009, 13:02   #3

Thanks for responding Skipr John
Old 18-08-2009, 13:35   #4

Boat: Far East Mariner 40
We sailed down from CT to FL this past winter. We are presently in Jacksonville, and had planned on going to the Bahamas in October. However, your email has peaked our interest and we may actually go to Marathon instead. We are investagating each location and its merits. Thanks for the post
Islandmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2009, 14:26   #5

Your Welcome Island Mike,

If you do go by there, if you could pass along any updated info on the dock, mooring, and anchoring, that would be great.

thanks

Jeff
Old 18-08-2009, 15:07   #6

Well, personally I'd get the dinghy, head to the Bahamas, and anchor for free. But, if you're a full time liveaboard who just wants to do some daysailing/weekending and you're going to be doing a lot of boat work, an "affordable" slip is a lot more convenient than a mooring.

Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows (River Rat to Mole)
slomotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2009, 16:24   #7

Hi Slomotion,

Thanks for the response. The big thing is getting the boat in the water. But I do eventually want to cruise long term. I need a cheaper way to live to facilitate getting the boat ready for cruising. I just need to figure out a set of priorities based on that plan.

Thanks Again,

Jeff
Old 18-08-2009, 16:48   #8
cruiser

Boat: Morgan 33 OutIsland, Magic and 33' offshore scott design "Cutting Edge"
Key west would be another alternative. Ball costs are similiar. Dinghy dock is way less. We visit Marathon often and stay outside and dinghy in. Dinghy dock is around 7 a day. Like the daily vhf radio harbor cast on 68. They also give a harbor pack in canvas bag with info about area and some local charts. Anybody know why Smorgasboat (taxi) isn't operating anymore?
forsailbyowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2009, 19:36   #9

Boat: Pearson Ariel 264
Ah marathon, fl. Brings back a few memories. Anchored in Bootkey Harbor for a 1 1/2yrs before they installed the mooring balls. I think they have a ton of thoose mooring balls now and it fills up fast after hurricane season ends. Nice area and the usual service industry work is found around marathon if you are looking for employment. Was pretty easy finding a job as most people suffer from the "Keys Disease" and employers loved anyone that would actually show up for work everyday and not drunk.
Old 21-08-2009, 19:53   #10

Boat: 1980 Moody 33 C/C & 50ft Steel Houseboat
Talking

Lived on Key West's mooring field in 2003. $120.00/mo with a weekly pumpout, parking, access to water, showers and new aluminum dock for your dingy. The bars charged $75.00/mo just to park your dingy...you didn't get parking or pumpout. I thought it was a great deal. I am sure it is more now, but with parking/dingy/pumpout/showers, how can you beat that? Not to mention more jobs/entertainment availiable,West marine and 1 other chandlery within easy walking/biking distance. Plenty of remote Islands a few hours sail away, daily sunset celebration, etc. I think it is the best of the Key Islands to while away your time and refit a boat. I had a Honda 2000 generator if I wanted to run A/C but rarely needed it.
Rvrratt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2009, 20:05   #11

Slomotion, I thought Bahamas charged for a 6 month stay I thinks its $350 if over
34ft for 6 months. I didn't think its free?
videorov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2009, 20:10   #12

Well, anchoring is free, but you're right. I believe it's $300 for a 1 year cruising permit if 35 feet or more. Under 35' is $150. Even if it's only for 6 months, it's a lot cheaper than a monthly mooring or slip rental. But ya pretty much gotta have a dinghy if yer gonna anchor.

Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows (River Rat to Mole)
slomotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2009, 23:32   #13

Boat: Pearson Ariel 264
Quote:
Originally Posted by slomotion View Post
But ya pretty much gotta have a dinghy if yer gonna anchor.

Sure nuff! Might wanna consider getting one of those little boats. Makes cruising a lot easier. Otherwise your arms get tired after awhile!

What I miss most about being on the boat in boot key harbor is laying in the cockpit at night and just gazing at the stars. Orion constellation is my fav! Then marathon in their infinite wisdom decided a park needed to be built with big lights to block out the night sky. Really messed with my serenity. I threatened to go buy a BB gun and take care of it myself, but my lawful ways would not allow me to do so. Seriously who is swinging on the swing set or playing tennis at 1 am besides crack addicts? Oh well I feel better now that thats off my chest!

Tags
liveaboard