Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-12-2012, 14:08   #16

Boat: 43' Hatteras CPMY
Re: Maps of Marinas

Why I have a droid phone... Using that I can easily pull up a picture of the marina while still 10 mins out, then their instructions will make more sense...
jaxfishgyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2012, 14:21   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxfishgyd View Post
Why I have a droid phone... Using that I can easily pull up a picture of the marina while still 10 mins out, then their instructions will make more sense...
What could the droid phones have that's not on the internet? I arbitrarily selected a marina that I'm familiar with, Utsch's in Cape May, NJ. On the internet and the Waterway Guide site there is an aerial photo that does not include the transient slip area and does not include any reference to the dock or slip numbers. They have very good directions to reach the marina, but nothing for the actual position of slips. I'm sure some sites show more,- I'll try another......Ocean Marine, Portsmouth, Va.....and get back.

Checked Ocean Marine,- Same thing,- a google map showing a dot at the location and a pretty aerial photo showing the marina, but no information about how the docks are identified or slip numbers, I'll try my current location, Fleming Island Marina, Orange Park, Florida.

'same thing,- a dot on a google highway map and an aerial photo,- no dock or slip ID.

What are you going to find on the droid phone?
Old 23-12-2012, 10:28   #18

Boat: Pearson Triton 28 (1960)

The first draft is up so I'm keen to see what kind of response it gets. I'm thinking that mariners who visit new marinas regularly will find it very valuable. At least I will! The maps are hosted at The Mariner's Guide: Site Index, click on Marina Maps (top left of screen). Happy to hear any thoughts, suggestions or feedback.
SayGudday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2012, 22:57   #19

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

Looks good but I guess I'm used to european style marina guides. Check out the lonk I sent you for danish harbour pilot. Each harbour has a map showing depths, docks etc. Makes it easy to decide where to dock.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2012, 05:26   #20

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by SayGudday View Post
The first draft is up so I'm keen to see what kind of response it gets. I'm thinking that mariners who visit new marinas regularly will find it very valuable. At least I will! The maps are hosted at The Mariner's Guide: Site Index, click on Marina Maps (top left of screen). Happy to hear any thoughts, suggestions or feedback.
Nothing in that site that looks even remotely interesting
Cotemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2012, 06:44   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.

No, it just won't work for me. I'll keep my collection of paper marina maps taped inside my copy of "Skipper Bob's". My lack of interest in this is likely due to having a "dumb" phone and no quick interenet access at the helm. As a couple aboard we are at the helm, on the VHF, prepping dock lines...... it's probably a trait for my generation not to adapt to using a map on a droid phone, but good luck with it.
Old 24-12-2012, 10:51   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by carstenb View Post
Looks good but I guess I'm used to european style marina guides. Check out the lonk I sent you for danish harbour pilot. Each harbour has a map showing depths, docks etc. Makes it easy to decide where to dock.
Phase two, my good man! I'd have to create them from scratch so first I want to see if mariners will even like the idea. Based on the 24 hours of traffic since it went up, I'm thinking they do. The library has had hundreds of visitors already and several contributors so it's looking like a successful resource. If the interest from boaters continues, I'll definitely develop some much better resources.
Old 24-12-2012, 10:54   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptForce View Post
No, it just won't work for me. I'll keep my collection of paper marina maps taped inside my copy of "Skipper Bob's". My lack of interest in this is likely due to having a "dumb" phone and no quick interenet access at the helm. As a couple aboard we are at the helm, on the VHF, prepping dock lines...... it's probably a trait for my generation not to adapt to using a map on a droid phone, but good luck with it.
I have no internet at all most of the time so, for me, I was thinking to print off the ones I was likely to use on a journey and keep them with my paper charts. I have no gps, etc. either.
Old 24-12-2012, 11:18   #24

That's a shame, Cotemar, you contributed the second map, so I was really hoping that you, of all sailors, would have liked it. Do you think that the library of slip diagrams is just a bad idea or is there something about the functionality of the tool that you don't like? Maybe I can fix it.
Old 24-12-2012, 11:45   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
I have no internet at all most of the time so, for me, I was thinking to print off the ones I was likely to use on a journey and keep them with my paper charts. I have no gps, etc. either.
Oh, yeah, I even need these good lessons on how not to use the internet! What was I thinking?
Old 24-12-2012, 11:57   #26

Boat: Finnsailer 38

I guess I don't go into marinas enough to see much use in this, and 99% of the marinas I do tie up at are so small that it isn't difficult--usually it's just tie up where the dockhand is pointing. There are very few marinas on the East Coast that are big enough for this to be a problem.
Old 24-12-2012, 12:13   #27

Quote:
Oh, yeah, I even need these good lessons on how not to use the internet! What was I thinking?
LOL not what I meant. I should have asked something more qualifying like, did you see the print buttons, etc. Sounds like an obvious thing but the other boaters I tried out the first version of the library on couldn't see the print functionality at all. Which is what made me think that maybe you couldn't either and maybe thought it was just intended to be an online viewer only. No offense meant.
Old 24-12-2012, 12:16   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kettlewell View Post
I guess I don't go into marinas enough to see much use in this, and 99% of the marinas I do tie up at are so small that it isn't difficult--usually it's just tie up where the dockhand is pointing. There are very few marinas on the East Coast that are big enough for this to be a problem.
I think it's primarily of use to either liveaboards or cruisers, people that do visit new marinas regularly. The good news is that, once the library is built, it won't require a lot of maintenance (I think) so the information shouldn't go out of date. Been getting an enthusiastic response from cruisers so, hopefully it's of use to some folk.
Old 26-12-2012, 05:06   #29
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
LOL not what I meant. ............................ No offense meant.
'kind of you to consider that my comments might have come with sacasm, but, no, I'll confess to sincerity. I truly didn't consider the option of printing them in advance. I'm old enough to be slow in adapting to all the possibilities of technology.
Old 26-12-2012, 07:31   #30

Quote:
'kind of you to consider that my comments might have come with sacasm, but, no, I'll confess to sincerity. I truly didn't consider the option of printing them in advance. I'm old enough to be slow in adapting to all the possibilities of technology.
The lack of modern technology I firmly believe is an advantage for sailors. There's some math formula that proves the relationship between tech-gadgets and sailing. It goes something like this: the more gadgets you have, the less you sail because your toys are broken all the time.

PS - For those of you with all the gadgets who are now screaming 'burn him', relax, I used to manage technical support teams for Countrywide Mortgage, most of my friends are tech-heads and I own a technical business. I know tech, I just don't like it much.

Tags
marinas